Importing a car from the USA

A fu

A good research project ...!
  1. Find out the import vehicle regulations in all neighboring Mercosur Countries
  2. Find out the regulations to nationalize (obtain local plates) for a vehicle in all Mercosur Countries.
  3. Study all the possible combinations of the above options and obtain the Optimum in terms of Cost, time , and paperwork.
  4. Another Option enter Arg with Mercosur Plates and exit every six months
  5. Drive the car down the Panamericana from the USA.

#1 and #2 Can be taken care of with one phone call to customs agent that will quote bribe amount on the spot. Modifications parts and labor included.
#3 Yes, some jurisdictions do take time issuing permanent plates but the same customs agent can negotiate reasonable wait time.
#4 Keep in mind the purpose of this research project is to retain as many as possible options to respond effectively to any any situation created by arg customs and not being subject of blackmail while they holding your car and yourself as hostage. In that case, a border run every 3-6 months might be seen as a reasonable compromise.
#5 That route is no longer available since Darien gap ferry suspended operations.

Last edited:
Why would anyone even attempt to do this unless they like pain and headaches... Fair enough if you are minted and money doesn't matter and you want your special car but if that is not the reality then don't bother and get one here.

#1 and #2 Can be taken care of with one phone call to customs agent that will quote bribe amount on the spot. Modifications parts and labor included.
#3 Yes, some jurisdictions do take time issuing permanent plates but the same customs agent can negotiate reasonable wait time.
#4 Keep in mind the purpose of this research project is to retain as many as possible options to respond effectively to any any situation created by arg customs and not being subject of blackmail while they holding your car and yourself as hostage. In that case, a border run every 3-6 months might be seen as a reasonable compromise.
#5 That route is no longer available since Darien gap ferry suspended operations.

I Had a car with Chilean Plates for 5 years and had to exit every six months. It would be too long to write the customs experiences at Paso Libertadores . Four Crossings per year . Twenty total...!!! 1500 kmts. each way
Obtaining Argie plates was way too Expensive. Finally I bought an Argie Car...!

I could write a book about, the not so nice expressions from Truck Drivers on the Road with Chilean Plates... Chileno Puto was the nicest..!
As well as what was written on the dust covering the car when parked...
Finally I had a plate made with the Chilean lettering but in the Argie Format/Color

Good Luck

In Argentina, it is generally not a good idea to stand out from the crowd - that is, the nail that sticks out gets the hammer.

Nothing beats flying below the government radar.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HenryNisental Expat Life 15
Patagone Expat Life 13
Tilda Expat Life 8
P Expat Life 5
kosta Expat Life 16
Back