Importing a TV from USA to Argentina

100% right, well said. I was recently looking for a new laptop and was surprised by just how poor the choices are here. I am too ashamed to say what I eventually paid 100,000 pesos for. Let's just say it is nowhere near what I could get in the UK for less money.
In other times (PRE PANDEMIC), to get great technology, it was necessary to
And yet manufacturers do make different models for different markets, as an example compare the Philips 50PUG6654/78 (Brazil) and 50PUD6654/77 (Argentina). I'm not sure what the differences are, both are on sale here on Mercadolibre, the Argentinian model seems to support more video formats, maybe the ISDB-T decoders are different. I got the Argentian model, there's a risk of being bitten by some unexpected incompatibility if you buy a model for another market.
Add to that something like this:

Some of those BLACK FRIDAY WalMart TV specials are dumbed down to get an attractive price point for the event.

And if that's not enough, an additional retail trick is for a manufacturer of a popular item to make the item specifically for a large buyer / retailer that has a restrictive price match or price beat policy. The retailer requires a unique model number so that price match requests can be dismissed when they are called out. They can simply say to the customer, it's not the same model and our price match policy is very specific as it has to be the same model as the competition.

It's a war out there and we, as consumers could be, should be treated better.

In other times (PRE PANDEMIC), to get great technology, it was necessary to

Add to that something like this:

Some of those BLACK FRIDAY WalMart TV specials are dumbed down to get an attractive price point for the event.

And if that's not enough, an additional retail trick is for a manufacturer of a popular item to make the item specifically for a large buyer / retailer that has a restrictive price match or price beat policy. The retailer requires a unique model number so that price match requests can be dismissed when they are called out. They can simply say to the customer, it's not the same model and our price match policy is very specific as it has to be the same model as the competition.

It's a war out there and we, as consumers could be, should be treated better.

Just found out when I bought my router, TP-Link, Archer series.
The one I was looking for (x50) is sold also as another model number (3000), originally dumbed down for Wallmart. Main difference being a USB 2.x vs a 3.x connector. Now they're apparently one and the same.

Iz

Vizio TV sets support both 110 and 220
My fear about bringing a TV from the States to use in Argentina has to do with something I don't understand. Years ago I was told that Argentina television stations adopted the Japanese system for transmitting signal, whereas Brazil had adopted the European system. Thus, if you bought a TV in the States that used the European standard, you could not use it in a country that used the Japanese system. I don't know how much if any, truth there is to this, but this issue has me concerned. On the other hand, I was told by the manufacturer NOT to bring down a Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner because it would cancel the warranty, but I did. I plugged it into a transformer, and it works fine. So all is pretty confusing.

I still firmly believe that companies have different quality products depending on their destination. A Nike shirt bought in Argentina is not the same quality as one bought in Europe or the USA - I know this because I have tried. Same goes for shoes etc

No duh. This is obvious while shopping in the malls here. It's the same price but half the quality.

And yet manufacturers do make different models for different markets, as an example compare the Philips 50PUG6654/78 (Brazil) and 50PUD6654/77 (Argentina). I'm not sure what the differences are, both are on sale here on Mercadolibre, the Argentinian model seems to support more video formats, maybe the ISDB-T decoders are different. I got the Argentian model, there's a risk of being bitten by some unexpected incompatibility if you buy a model for another market.

My arg Samsung TV (65in led ~$1300usd two years ago at musimundo) is the same one sold at Walmart in Houston TX for $475. Except the Arg one has most of the menu features greyed out in the settings, the back case was loosely screwed on (had to finish the job myself) and has an orange tierra del fuego sticker. Also noticed the plastic back panel is of pretty cheap plastic similar to most other plastics here.

My fear about bringing a TV from the States to use in Argentina has to do with something I don't understand. Years ago I was told that Argentina television stations adopted the Japanese system for transmitting signal, whereas Brazil had adopted the European system. Thus, if you bought a TV in the States that used the European standard, you could not use it in a country that used the Japanese system. I don't know how much if any, truth there is to this, but this issue has me concerned. On the other hand, I was told by the manufacturer NOT to bring down a Dyson cordless vacuum cleaner because it would cancel the warranty, but I did. I plugged it into a transformer, and it works fine. So all is pretty confusing.

Anything cordless (laptop, cell phone, tools Dyson vacuum) goes through a DC converter to charge a battery so you should not expect to see any difference. The main things you need to watch out for all things with motors or heating elements. The frequency will impact the speed of the motor if run on a voltage converter.

In terms of the TV. Mine from the states runs fine here plugged straight into the wall and gets all the over air TV channels with a simple antenna. Only use it to watch my firestick though so I don't watch live TV much. I have a single Arg TV and the rest are US tvs that came in my goods shipment. But as others say if you want to be sure just buy something here.

Home audio receiver is plugged into a transformer and buzzes a little when first started. After it warms up it is silent. The solution for this is that I never turn it off.

Anything marked dual voltage is plugged straight into the wall. I just bent most of the prongs so I don't need the outlet converter.

Anything cordless (laptop, cell phone, tools Dyson vacuum) goes through a DC converter to charge a battery so you should not expect to see any difference. The main things you need to watch out for all things with motors or heating elements. The frequency will impact the speed of the motor if run on a voltage converter.

In terms of the TV. Mine from the states runs fine here plugged straight into the wall and gets all the over air TV channels with a simple antenna. Only use it to watch my firestick though so I don't watch live TV much. I have a single Arg TV and the rest are US tvs that came in my goods shipment. But as others say if you want to be sure just buy something here.

Home audio receiver is plugged into a transformer and buzzes a little when first started. After it warms up it is silent. The solution for this is that I never turn it off.

Anything marked dual voltage is plugged straight into the wall. I just bent most of the prongs so I don't need the outlet converter.
Thank you for your very informative responses.

Yes, there are new different incompatible digital TV standards now, DVB-T is used in Europe, ISDB-T is used in South America and Japan, and I'm not sure what's used in the US. The old incompatible analogue TV standards like PAL, NTSC and SECAM are basically gone now, most countries I believe have moved to digital TV.

You can get a digital TV decoder here, they're not very expensive, and it will plug into your HDMI connector on the Smart TV. You can see the locations of the TV station antennas and the channels here: https://www.argentina.gob.ar/jefatura/innovacion-publica/ssetic/conectar/tda I got one for an older TV, but the reception isn't great, I need to mount the antenna higher, and being surrounded by high buildings doesn't help.

Back