Importing Money

Western Union is looking good. I called their office and was told I can send $2999US from my US bank to a Western Union office in Uruguay and get US$ for a $5US fee. It sound too good to be true so it probably is. Has anyone actually done this?

Western Union is looking good. I called their office and was told I can send $2999US from my US bank to a Western Union office in Uruguay and get US$ for a $5US fee. It sound too good to be true so it probably is. Has anyone actually done this?

$2,999 has the sound of a limit. Was there a limit stipulated Tom ?

$3000 isn't nearly enough for me (4 folks in school and feeding 5 - ugh) plus I've always hated the idea of having to go to Colonia for my money every month, so I wasn't thinking too much in terms of WU as a primary means. But yeah, it's doable and it's not a bad option overall.

I send money to my wife's relatives all the time via Western Union in Paraguay. I sent once in USD and they had no problems receiving the transfer in USD that one time. All the rest of the times I've sent in Guarani so they didn't have to deal with changing the money themselves (WU actually gives better rates than the cambios where they live, in the sticks). In fact, I just sent some Sunday.

Considering that you can get Dollars out of ATMs in Paraguay, like Uruguay, I'd think you should be able to get dollars no problem in Uruguay at WU.

I think the $5 fee is for the longest time to pickup (3-5 business days I think it is), whereas it costs $8-10 to do it for immediate pickup. Also, as I just found out today when my girls went to pick up the monetary "care' package (my Sunday sending), if they tell you that you can pick up the money on X day, plan the following day, unless you specifically received an email saying that it was now ready (they send you an email when you first send the money that has the day you can pick it up, then they will sometimes send an email if the money gets there earlier).

When I sent the money on Sunday I got an email telling me it would be available in Paraguay for Friday. The money left my account on Monday, so I assumed everything would be alright (as it usually is). The girls went to pick it up today and were told the transaction was non-existent. Upon calling WU, I was told the money would not be available until 7:48 PM Eastern time, which would be a bit late for them there in Paraguay (the place closes at 6:00 pm and it wold be nearly 11:00 PM until it was ready. Not what I call being ready for pickup on Friday, which is a pisser considering they already had my money. The delay is supposedly because of ACH clearing times, but when it's cleared, they have it.). Nothing they could do about it, they told me.

I always send via the ACH option. I usually get the second email telling me money is ready early on the following day and was not expecting this kind of problem. Poor girls had to ride a motorcycle 50 kilometers to get to the nearest WU. But hey, it happens.

It's been a long time since I first set my account up (2006), but I think you have to verify your checking account before being able to use it. Otherwise you can use credit cards and debit cards, but I think those are the immediate pickup for $8-10 services.

Their website sucks at times. I've seen it go through evolutions from just horrible to only really bad errors every once in awhile.

Don't ever send from here, BTW (not that you would, just for anyone else who's reading). It costs on the order of 20-30%!! No way Dollars. And of course, a fairly low limit.

I did it once not too long ago, got the money ok, no questions asked. You can receive more than that amount if you show proof of source of funds at certain pickup locations.

No idea why others couldn't do it (would be good to know why exactly).
All I can say is I managed to open one during my first visit, in 45 mins more or less.
Only tricky part was the proof of residency (utility bills are in the name of my landlords), but they finally accepted a simple "recibo de expensas" (which is really a very basic document, partly handwritten).

No idea if things changed since 2 years, but when I asked the lady at BROU about Americans, she told me no problem.

Maybe cos you are French and not American? :)

For me WU was like this:
  • $1000 Dollars per xaction
  • Fees: .. $18 per each $1000 Dollars xaction
  • 3 xactions per week (i.e. $3000 per week)
  • 6 xactions per month (i.e. $6000 per month)
Agents in Uruguay are finikity, unpleasant, ... etc
They require you to phone ahead of time and book an appointment if your pick up is more than a $1000 Dollars.
Otherwise you hassle with them until they give you just only $1000 Dollars as a favor and you return back home with that.

With the exception of ONE and ONLY ONE agent on the 2nd or 3rd block of Flores st. when you get out of the Bouque terminal.
He will let you pick up all 6 xactions, but you have to fill out some forms (if you don´t mind that).

Overall .... very very expensive ... for me !
You can return back home empty handed (with only $1000) !

You know, Western Union used to be more expensive. I can remember sending to money to Paraguay a few years ago and it was by a percentage as well. I never send a whole lot, and the most I can remember sending was $1000.

In the last year or two it's been a flat cost per transaction.

Last week I sent $800 USD (most I've sent in a long time) and it cost me the same $5 it cost me to send $100.

Oh, as far as picking up $3000 USD from a WU location, I can believe that you would have to call ahead of time and arrange to make sure they had that on hand.

You can bring with you all the cash you want as soon as you declare it in origen and when you arrive here.
You need some documentation to evidence that this is honest money that paid tax, not big deal.

Back