In defense of tourists

SaraSara said:
Why are people in this forum so reluctant to part with the slightest bit of information about themselves? Mini peppered me with questions about where I lived, when, and for how long, but refused to say anything about her/himself.

I didn't "pepper" you with questions. You started the discussion & I just asked you want your definition was on the subject. You have been very open about your life. If you want to know about me you are more than welcome to come to my crafty days usually on Wednesdays. Then you can know everything you want & more!

SaraSara said:
Thanks for the warning, Howard. Thing is, I've nothing to hide, but don't enjoy being pumped for answers without receiving a few in exchange.

Give me a break! I didn't PUMP you for information. Let's not exaggerate.

I'd love to go to your crafty days. Are they in the daytime? Does anyone know anything about crochet? I've always wanted to learn to make something besides mufflers.

I'll be away until the end of may, but will contact you then.

mini said:
I didn't "pepper" you with questions. You started the discussion & I just asked you want your definition was on the subject. You have been very open about your life. If you want to know about me you are more than welcome to come to my crafty days usually on Wednesdays. Then you can know everything you want & more!

Give me a break! I didn't PUMP you for information. Let's not exaggerate.

I was not referring to you but to others who were very insistent about knowing what was I doing in the forum, was I American, was I Argentinian, how long I had lived in the States, where I had lived in the States, what was I doing there, why I had come back, etc., etc. That happened when I first joined. Only thing they didn't ask was my blood group.

But in all fairness, you did ask me a few questions and did not answer when I asked which place you considered home - evaded the question with a "where I hang my hat". Of course, you have a right to your privacy, but I was curious why so many questions were asked in this forum, and so few personal details provided. As I said, I'm new to forums, and perhaps out of line. You may have noticed that Args. tend to get personal very quickly.

I belong to only one other forum, much smaller and more laid back than this one. It was started three years ago, and I've made a number of friends there who come stay at my home, and who have me stay at theirs. A few forum friends brought me stuff from the US, in their suitcases and even in their containers, without even being asked. When I had trouble with a bank transfer, one of them offered to lend me money to tide me over, and it was quite a lot, about as much as a new small car.

I started here with the same attitude, but quickly found out that this is a different kind of forum. Fun, but contentious.

SaraSara said:
I was not referring to you but to other people who were very insistent about knowing what was I doing in the forum, was I American, was I Argentinian, how long I had lived in the States, where I had lived in the States, what was I doing there, why I had come back, etc., etc. That happened when I first joined. Only thing they didn't ask was my blood group.
Sorry. I was feeling a bit defensive. Sometimes you just can't disagree with people on here. & you are right some people are overly curious about where people are from & make serious assumptions based on what little they know or don't know. This is probably why I don't feel the need to tell them. They can make all the assumptions they want. But if anyone wants to meet me, come on over! I'll provide the coffee or the wine or the vodka tonics! :D

ETA: I'm O-! I was really mad when I found out!!!! I even called my mom to complain!

home is "where I hang my hat". .
No, but that is true!! My home IS where my husband & I ARE. I don't feel attached to any particular place. & my husband is worse. Probably, because he moved 6 times to 4 different countries before he was 16. You were right when you said I was rootless! LOL.

SaraSara said:
I was not referring to you but to other people who were very insistent about knowing what was I doing in the forum, was I American, was I Argentinian, how long I had lived in the States, where I had lived in the States, what was I doing there, why I had come back, etc., etc. That happened when I first joined. Only thing they didn't ask was my blood group.

I know I asked a few of those questions. From what you've written here, your background is quite fascinating, so naturally questions arise. It's a good thing.

But yeah, what is your blood type anyway? :p harharhar!

bradlyhale said:
But yeah, what is your blood type anyway? :p harharhar!

I'm O- so if anyone finds themselves in need of blood, just give me call!

My blood type is O+ and my dog's blood type is Z- ;)
The three last strays I adopted haven't been tested yet. I'll provide that information when available.
:)

SaraSara said:
My blood type is O+ and my dog's blood type is Z- ;)
The three last strays I adopted haven't been tested yet. I'll provide that information when available.
:)

As a Tango vampire I find this thread suddenly very interesting far better than pizza.

Hmmm..
my blood type is A+ , I don't think permatourists are violating any laws (provided they leave every 90 days), the vast majority of permatourists I know put a lot more into the system than they use, I'm not crafty and I don't think that someone who is here for a short time qualifies as an expat.

Have I missed anything?:D ;)

citygirl said:
Hmmm..
my blood type is A+ , I don't think permatourists are violating any laws (provided they leave every 90 days), the vast majority of permatourists I know put a lot more into the system than they use, I'm not crafty and I don't think that someone who is here for a short time qualifies as an expat.

Have I missed anything?:D ;)

You are right, someone who is here but a short time is not a true expat, but then niether are Argentines, or perma tourists, but we all have our part to play in the exchange of info.
Perma tourists are not actually breaking any law, it is just a loop hole and the world is full of people who seek out loop holes, some far more serious than staying a bit too long in a foreign country. Those of us who return here often, just as those living on foriegn incomes actually contribute a lot to the overall economy (maybe not individually but as a group it is probably significant)

Now lets get back to blood groups I am O+ but I am not afussy eater.

Back