Increase in petty crime

Farenheit

Registered
I rent out a room on airbnb and in the last few weeks, 2 different guests have had attempts made to rob them.
One was on the subte and caught someone with their hand in his pocket trying to take his camera.
The other one was in Plaza de Mayo (today) and had the bird poo scam played on her. Fortunately she had read about it on the net and nothing was taken.
It seems such crime is on the rise.

Farenheit said:
I rent out a room on airbnb and in the last few weeks, 2 different guests have had attempts made to rob them.
One was on the subte and caught someone with their hand in his pocket trying to take his camera.
The other one was in Plaza de Mayo (today) and had the bird poo scam played on her. Fortunately she had read about it on the net and nothing was taken.
It seems such crime is on the rise.

I think these kind of crimes have always existed, but do agree crime is on the rise. No crime is good to hear about.

I dunno, I am personally kind of getting a little tired of these crime threads, given they always seem to end up with someone making a comparison with the USA and then it ending up in a catfight :cool:

I've been taking guests since March and this is the first time I've had guests reporting theft attempts, so just wanted to let people know. Shame it's my current guest's first day here and she was already nearly robbed!!!
Could be a seasonal thing, thieves coming out of hibernation...

Beginner's bad luck (i.e. oh-so-obviously tourist). I was robbed on my 3rd day here back in 2007. Learned from it and (very hard knocks on wood...) that has been my only incidence. I don't think petty crime is up. I've seen the pigeon poop trick (also tried on me) and the pocket grab continuously over the past 5 years.

A couple of weeks ago, a kid on the subte tried to stick his hand in my husband's pocket in attempt to steal his phone. As my husband pushed his hand away, the kid slowly moved towards the door and got off the next station, just like a pro. Which made me really sad... That kid looked like he was maybe in middle school?

trennod said:
I think these kind of crimes have always existed, but do agree crime is on the rise. No crime is good to hear about.

I dunno, I am personally kind of getting a little tired of these crime threads, given they always seem to end up with someone making a comparison with the USA and then it ending up in a catfight :cool:

I was on the subway in Rome , and a gypsy tried to pickpocket me. Does Italy count ? Just kidding Trennod !! Agree, Please do not let this tread turn into a stupid crime thread !

I've been here for over 6 years and for the 1st time last year i was pick pocketed on the bus and had my iPhone stolen, right after it happened i figured it out and knew exactly who had done it..i jumped of the bus but the guy was gone! now I'm super aware on the bus and subtle..maybe almost paranoid, because i look for it and now i can pinpoint a pick pocketer (i think) from a mile away!
I think it just makes you more AWARE and careful but you do have to be careful not to look like the scared tourist clutching your bag because you also can look like a target with a lot of goodies in your bag!

Pickpocketing is an ancient profession. :p Especially prevalent in Spanish and Italian cities... or mixes between the two. ;) I agree it's probably increased as of late, but it's always been common.

My aunt and uncle had the poop scam pulled on them as well several years ago, but my uncle was quick thinking enough to cover his belongings. It's kinda sad that's the first thing they recalled about Buenos Aires when I told them I was living here. :rolleyes: Unfortunately it doesn't help that some tourists aren't aware of the 'culture' or seem to go into vacation mode and let their guard down.

I hope you guys who don't like the crime threads will just move on and don't read it. Just read what interests you. People who are planning to come here need to hear it--over and over and over. For newcomers or potential newcomers who ARE interested, here is the bottom line. Don't let anyone touch you. Just keep that in mind. 'Course sometimes on a crowded subway you can't help it but be aware of WHAT they are touching. In short, be alert. It's a little hard because if you are standing most of us need to hold onto something, which leaves us a little more exposed.

I had a recent attempt to get into my purse by a sweet woman, probably in her 50s, who pretended to be defending me against a VERY rude man I now believe was her partner in crime. She put her arm around my shoulders in a sweet, protective way and when I finally realized, she had unzipped my purse (how they do it is beyond me--I couldn't accomplish what they do) but she got nothing for her effort. So even a rude man can be part of a setup. There are endless modus operandi for these people. You don't have to be rude (maybe) but if you don't let them touch you, that will go a long way toward keeping your possessions. Even if you get the pigeon poop or something else. Remember what you read here.

My own son and nephew got the pigeon poop near the bus station in BA recently. Instead of reacting like most tourists he said, "Oh come on you guys, don't try that stuff on me, I LIVE here!" Hahahaha. Don't let anyone help you clean off the "poop" (or the ice cream if they "accidentally" run into you with their ice cream cone!!!) or help you on the subway, and forcing yourself to stay alert will get you a long ways in Buenos Aires. It isn't so hard if you are just aware and do what we advise. Beyond that, it's a fascinating place to be! I love it.

2 of the all black managers were mugged as they left their hotel to head to the air port for their flight to south africa. This was by 2 guys who escaped on a motorbike.
This follows on from a large number (not sure what the number is - just what has been said on the radio and TV) of the 300 supports who came over with the all blacks being robbed/mugged/pickpocketed and some of the journalists being robbed/mugged in the past week in BSAS. Its been talked about more on NZ radio than the game result.

Back