Incredibly High Import Fees

I don't trust Fed/Ex.....my husbands eye Dr. sent his glasses Fed/Ex..we paid for door to door...which really doesn't exist here as a general rule...depends on the day and how the wind is blowing! We had to go out to Fed/Ex by EZE and we spent 5 hours getting them out of there...he went to 7 windows for 7 stamps! And then the woman had the nerve to ask him for his prescription for his eyes, to prove these were his glasses!!!! She hit his last nerve and he said well let me see yours, she was wearing glasses, she handed over the box!!! What BS!!! Same crap at the post office from hell in downtown!! Fair is fair....but this is just plain wrong!!! It's not like we are shipping in things to resell and make a profit....simple pleasures or necessary items we can't get here...

As far as "protecting" local products go....let's see, since 2003 I have purchased:

2 washing machines (Clothes Dryer ONLY fixed twice)
2 microwaves
4 fans
2 hand mixers
2 water heaters (average life span is supposedly 12-15 years each)
Who knows how many telephones

All of the above items are much more expensive than you would find in the U.S., and obviously of poorer quality and lack of selection.

Hope you get the point

EvergreenGal said:
And then the woman had the nerve to ask him for his prescription for his eyes, to prove these were his glasses!!!! She hit his last nerve and he said well let me see yours, she was wearing glasses, she handed over the box!!! What BS!!! Same crap at the post office from hell in downtown!! Fair is fair....but this is just plain wrong!!! It's not like we are shipping in things to resell and make a profit....simple pleasures or necessary items we can't get here...

For this free and open society, the government seems all up in your stuff, if they think they can get an extra 10 pesos out of you.
DL

rmartinbuenosaires said:
As far as "protecting" local products go....let's see, since 2003 I have purchased:

2 washing machines (Clothes Dryer ONLY fixed twice)
2 microwaves
4 fans
2 hand mixers
2 water heaters (average life span is supposedly 12-15 years each)
Who knows how many telephones

All of the above items are much more expensive than you would find in the U.S., and obviously of poorer quality and lack of selection.

Hope you get the point

Your point is that if you make inferior products you will sell more of them?
DL

Geez, I guess we were just lucky, never paid anything at the customs, then again we only got food items ( peanut butter cups, snickers, Velveeta, etc ) Long waits, and the last time ( over a year ago ) we almost have to share our super M and M´s :p I believe at least at the international postal office they are arbitrary, as a local I have seen employees talk and let some " regulars " get their stuff faster, like everything here... you have to play the porteño in such situations ( no boundaries ) and try to get your stuff, or give up on it :( sad but true

Mostly out of curiosity,* "Evergreen" and "Lee", why didn't you obtain the prescriptions and buy the spectacles in Bs.As.? Wouldn't the quality have been comparable to what's obtainable in the U.S.; the cost, less; and the getting, much sooner?

------

*Full disclosure: I ask in part because I've an American prescription but am uncertain where to have it filled.

RWS said:
*Full disclosure: I ask in part because I've an American prescription but am uncertain where to have it filled.

I had my eyes examined here and prescription filled for progressive lens with the Italiano Health insurance plan. Total cost of frames and lens within the prescribed plan was about 1200 pesos. Quality seems to be good but will have to see how the protective coating Crizal holds up.

It's a closed country and the rules change with the time of the day.
USPS Express mail International is your very best bet. Fed Ex and such are OK for documents but not items. They will hold you ransom and you will end up at EZE going through hell and paying big time fees.

Back