indian and asian curry pastes

So - Ken Robinson vids on You Tube are about Asian Fusion Cooking? Now that would be an unwasted education :)

There is a shop on Corrientes in between Montevideo and Rodriguez Pena called El Gato that has a whole wall of herbs and spices. I did see various curry powders if you're interested in making your own paste. From memory they were more Indian that Eastern Asian. I'm not sure if this place is a chain, I only know the one there.

I don't think its very cheap but if it stocks what you're looking for..... so be it. I bought cocoa there for $2.25 for 25g and then later bought it in my barrio at a dietica for $4 for 1/4kg.

Just made the chicken curry that Harleygirl talked about- it was to DIE for! I added a fresh hot chili pepper with the onions and garlic, and a little bit of coconut milk to the tomato paste and literally my boyfriend and I were fighting eachother for the last bits!

thanks thanks and thanks!!

harpo said:
Thanks Michelle, I thought it was only us Brits (outside Asia) who appreciate real spicy oriental food.

That's where you're wrong! ;)
I'm from the States and almost exclusively cook spicy asian food. I would probably leave BA if there was no Barrio Chino for me to go an buy all my supplies (fish sauce, curry pastes, wasabi, sweet chili sauce, potstickers, fresh lemongrass, etc.). Occasionally they even carry fresh Thai basil and kaffir lime leaves!

By the way, the verdulerias run by peruanos usually carry fresh hot chili peppers (they're small and look like bird's eye chilis). Also, I think my favorite stand (little Josecito?) in mercado del progresso ALWAYS has an assortment of fresh hot peppers, cilantro, and other lovely produce. I cringed when reading about putting canned jalepenos (sorry, no offense!) in a curry.

ETA: As Caspar23 said below, Casa China is the way to go! All kinds of great stuff there, it's my staple asian grocery store.

Casa China in China town is the place to find imported curry pasts. I was down there last Saturday hunting for various items that can't be found in Disco or Jumbo.

I came across some green and red Thai curry pastes that turned out to be delicious and also cost only 10 pesos per sachet. I used 1/8 of one sachet and that was sufficient to make a VERY spicy curry.

Best of luck!

Back