Industria Argentina , Is There Anything That Doesnt Break?

Now to steer the thread back on topic...

My roommate and I bought an Industria Tierra del Fuego LG TV and I have to say, it's as good as the kind I bought
at Best Buy from China, and not too expensive, about $3,800.00 ARS, crystal clear quality, 32" Full 1080P HD.

But knowing every Argentine produced tv i`ve looked at recently will be a year or two out of date compared to the rest of the world and more expensive. I couldve bought a 55" Panasonic tv in the uk for the price of a 42" and older tech in Argentina.
For example this is £100/$160us cheaper.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-32LN540V-Widescreen-Intelligent-Connectivity/dp/B00BS55R2C/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I`ve also always bought NEFF, AEG, Bosche products back home and they are massively better quality and features than argentine brands that cost more.

Interesting that you mention AEG. That company went belly up a long time ago and the only thing left is the brand. I remember people in Germany joking about the bad quality of their products and that AEG stands for "Auspacken Einschalten Geht nicht" -- which means something like 'unwrap it, turn it on, it doesn't work'. The brand is currently owned by Electrolux - and Electrolux sells products under their own brand here in Argentina.

Look- I am not in any way defending the wacky way the government runs imports and exports in Argentina.
I think its ridiculous that Argentina is the most expensive place in the WORLD to buy and Ipad.
And the idea of taxing and regulating Exports is just plain stupid- it means fewer local jobs, less foreign exchange, and seems counterintuitive to everything the government claims it is for.

So, certainly, anything imported is going to be crazy expensive in Argentina, for completely artificial reasons.

My only point is that there are SOME products here that are good quality, and SOME of them are cheaper than in the USA.

I cannot speak for the UK or Europe- I dont live there.

We do not have AEG, or NEEF or the other brands mentioned in the USA. We have a few Bosch products, they are priced quite high, usually at the top end of the market.

I can say that many things I have purchased in Argentina were the same price or cheaper for equivalent quality than in the US.

For instance, we were talking taps and faucets- I redid two baths and a kitchen in Argentina. In the USA, I am responsible for 3 different flats/houses, a total of 4 baths and 3 kitchens, so I buy and maintain a fair amount of stuff- and I can tell you, having taken both apart, that anything price competitive with FV in Argentina, in the US, is cheap plastic and pot metal construction.

Same thing with fridges- I own 5 in the US right now, and right now, at the Home Depot or similar locations, the absolute crummiest, short lived basic fridge is about $500 US- which is 4500 pesos. Havent priced an Ariston recently, but my guess is they are in the same range.
Home depot has about three at that price, then it quickly jumps to double that, while most of the attractive, popular models, of which there are a dozen or so different ones on display, are $3000 US/ 27000 pesos.
Most people in the USA are buying those 27K peso models. And still complaining about quality and short product life.

Everything in the USA has gotten VERY expensive in the last few years- and most "quality" items run 2 to 3 times the equivalent of Argentine items. People in the USA buy Vitamix blenders for $500.

How NOT to design an extension board.
wBVwWGz.jpg

People *may* spend a lot of unnecessary money on a Vitamix blender, but most people (who are not professional chefs) do not. Instead, most people in the US probably buy a Kitchen Aid, or a lower quality Oster, or something along those lines.

A quick glance online shows me that at Fravega online, I could purchase an Oster "Licuadora de Pie - modelo 6805" 5 taza for A$R 689, (or U$S 118, using 5.8 =1).

In the US, checking Amazon.com, I found almost the same blender 5 cup- Oster blender, model 6803 for U$S 26 (or A$R 151, using 5.8 = 1).

This is just one example of many. Almost the same exact item, at vastly different prices. As to the quality of the Oster blender I can't comment, but I will say, here in NYC (where I am typing right now) I am much less apt to not be bothered if my U$S 26 blender craps out. The same item at U$S 118, well, I'm pretty ticked off if it craps out.

And that is one of the reasons people get annoyed when Argentine products break / don't work. It's a lot of money, for low quality. In the US, for less than $100, I could get an awfully nice Cuisinart or Kitchen Aid (which I own), which will last a good long while.

What I said and mantein is that when WWII finished emerged a dominant power, the US, who had the power to reactivate economies, such as japan or Europe, by the Marshall Plan. When it came the moment to choose which countries would have better economies, (yes, the Marshall plan was so important in global economy that could determinate that) they have chosen some key economies, despite having been their enemies (Japan, Germany) to prevent comunism, since the cold war was there.
A major problem was, that while Europe had a highly skilled workforce but lacked machinery, South America lack both machinery and a highly skilled workforce.

Not a cent went to Japan, BTW, the Marshall Plan was meant to rebuild European economies only. Europe received app 12,731 mio. US$.

Japan received - through Aid to Asia - slightly more than 2,400 mio., complete disconnected from the Marshall Plan.

So, you think the primary factor that caused Brazil to surpass Argentina economically and technologically was that Brazil sent troops to fight in Europe and Argentina did not. So,Brazil was blessed by the US and allowed to prosper while every effort made by Argentina was sabotaged by a vindictive Uncle Sam. Is that it?
Brasil succeded because it sold a lot of raw materials and Vargas let the US build a network of maritime and airforce bases plus infrastructure as part of the anti-submarine war and the US financed Brasil's first large-scale steel mill at Volta Redonda - as a matter of fact the first time ever USA used public funds to finance industrialization in a developing country. During the war (and after) Argentina was considered a pain in the 'you know where' (letters aers).

People *may* spend a lot of unnecessary money on a Vitamix blender, but most people (who are not professional chefs) do not. Instead, most people in the US probably buy a Kitchen Aid, or a lower quality Oster, or something along those lines.

A quick glance online shows me that at Fravega online, I could purchase an Oster "Licuadora de Pie - modelo 6805" 5 taza for A$R 689, (or U$S 118, using 5.8 =1).

In the US, checking Amazon.com, I found almost the same blender 5 cup- Oster blender, model 6803 for U$S 26 (or A$R 151, using 5.8 = 1).

This is just one example of many. Almost the same exact item, at vastly different prices. As to the quality of the Oster blender I can't comment, but I will say, here in NYC (where I am typing right now) I am much less apt to not be bothered if my U$S 26 blender craps out. The same item at U$S 118, well, I'm pretty ticked off if it craps out.

And that is one of the reasons people get annoyed when Argentine products break / don't work. It's a lot of money, for low quality. In the US, for less than $100, I could get an awfully nice Cuisinart or Kitchen Aid (which I own), which will last a good long while.

$26 dollars ... and people who used to work in the Oster factories in the US lost their job as production was moved to China.

$26 dollars ... and people who used to work in the Oster factories in the US lost their job as production was moved to China.

And a lot of Chinese workers moved up to low-middle class instead of barely escaping starvation. And all of a sudden people all over the developing world who before could not even dream of buying a $100 US made blender can now afford a $26 chinese one. And the US middle class still consumes almost 40% of all of the world resources. I am sure a progressive like yourself appreciates the income re-distribution effect of this.

Back