Inernational Post-Vol 2 Part 13

A few weeks back DHL knocked on my door, delivering some DVDs of a documentary we worked on. We were fairly impressed that they had arrived at our door within days of them being sent. We were less impressed that 600 pesos of "customs charges" had been applied to a few DVDs with no commercial value. We wouldn't pay, so they got returned to sender.

Ah, Argentina. Un pais en serio.

But I seriously wonder, are they really returned to sender? Or put in the pockets of one of the officials??

And I have a problems with ordinary mail, about 80% does not arrive. Nothing that has a nice stamp on it (which makes me suspect the mailman or my doorman) but also invoices hardly arrive (sounds good, until they shut off your phone or electricity for unpaid bills). So I also didn't receive the note saying a package had arrived. I then received a reminder, but when I got that and went off to Retiro to pick it up, they said it had already been returned to sender…

When I forgot my charger in Europe last month, I checked with DHL argentina who told me nothing with a plug is let into the country, I had it send to a friend in Uruguay, where it arrived 3 days later, without any problem nor extra cost. My friend brought it with her the next time she came over.

Better not forget anything abroad, and not get any presents through mail. ;-)

The birthday card came to the house but we weren't in and the postie left a note and I collected the card from the post office as is normal anywhere.
I didn't have to pay anything, but anything is possible here of course.

I sent some mail by USPS Priority Mail and I have to go to Antartida. Looks like I need to pay $40 to get my forwarded mail, just letters and credit cards. I've done this about 6 times over the last 5 years and this is the first time it was NOT delivered to the door...

Very curious to see what would happen with a shipment of quarters: http://washboard.co/

But I seriously wonder, are they really returned to sender? Or put in the pockets of one of the officials??
When I rejected a package I got told it would be returned to sender. After a month I contacted sender to check if they received it... Nope. Apparently package got destroyed, aka ended up in one of the customs drongos house for sale on mercadolibre.

By the end of 2012, I had been unemployed or badly under-employed for 5 years. I had lost the property in Julian when the interest-only note came due and I was unable to re-finance because there was no credit available. I had been forced to sell my house, at roughly half what it was worth in 2005, to avoid having it confiscated for unpaid property taxes.

But I don't hear you railing at the Bush or Obama administrations for the crash of 2007/2008.

No, you usually rail at big capitalist corporations like Starbucks.....and Repulicans. LOL............................................Don't take it personally Red. Just a joke to make our day a bit lighter.

http://www.iprofesional.com/notas/189610-Cepo-cambiario-expertos-advierten-trabas-para-retirar-encomiendas-de-la-Aduana

One has to wonder if the country loses more in wages with all the staff handling all the bullshit forms than they would if they just let shit be delivered to your door like in 2013.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Joe
Back