Inflation Wingers Post Here!

fifs2 said:
, like we say in France "on ne peut avoir le beurre, l'argent du beurre et le cul de la crémière"

This is a more beautiful way of saying "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch". and it's so true. Bravo! La belle dame bleue est sur le point d'arriver à passer sa vie à Jerez avec nous!:)

Il est bien vrai que les crémières sont habillées de bleu, comme le tablier de celle de Vermeer.

I use carefour for milk, ($2.40 a litre)

For meat and veg you have to use the small stores. I've no idea why the supermarkets don't bother competing amongst each other but they really don't.

I depend on veggies with rice/pasta. I try to limit the amount of meat in a meal (i.e. pasta sauce with just a bit of ground beef). I rarely buy cheese. I do spend money on wine and beer as it helps ease the pain of eating rice and zapallitos everyday :D

Planning a trip to the US and am realizing that I'm going to end up buying an entire wardrobe.

Having 3 kids it gets to a point where you can´t cut back on food anymore without cutting down on meal sizes or quality.
We boil water instead of purchasing the big bottles of it, buy milks etc at Carrefour on their weekend ´6 for 4´deals, after somebody´s handy hint in another thread my son will now take bread rolls to school instead of sandwich bread as it´s much cheaper. Where I live, vege shop and butcher are more expensive than the Disco supermarket so have to make do with supermarket inferior quality. We no longer eat desserts with dinner (except when hubbie comes home with lollies and chocolates) We buy 1 ply toilet paper and live for the day when youngest child is out of nappies. And worst of all, my shoe collection is suffering greatly as I can´t afford to add any new pairs to the 37 I already have. It´s a sad situation.

We rarely go out to eat anymore (maybe 1 dinner per week plus lunch out on the weekends), and try to stick to restaurants with no cover charge. And are likely soon switching from Cablevision to DirecTV, which will be a savings of almost 200 pesos per month.

I've essentially stopped buying cheese, nuts, olives, and now even my beloved palta (I almost fainted when I saw them on sale for $21-28/kilo the other day.) No more bottled water, except on occasion -- I just re-fill my Sigg bottle with boiled tap. I've downgraded from tahini to pasta de mani as my bread spread of choice, and am using less extra-virgin olive oil. I'm also trying to stick to the cheaper fruits and vegetables at the verduleria -- chau, $15/kilo tomatoes, hello, lots and lots of spinach and papas and carrots. On days when I'm out working through lunchtime, I bring a sandwich and fruit and eat them in a park, instead of buying a salad at a cafe like I used to. Eating has become so boring :(

The flip side is the ridiculously cheap availability of excellent quality cultural events. Take the recent FIBA festival. Argy productions at 8 pesos each and international ones at 70 pesos for the best seats. And of course getting to them is a 1.25 peso bus ride. You may not be able to afford to eat but with all the free events in magnificent surroundings at least you never get bored!!!

I am reading here about people saving money by boiling their tap water. I've been drinking the sink water without boiling for over a month, no problems (short term, at least!)

Do most people actually buy/boil water?! I'm really surprised.

And yes, the inflation is terrible. I miss cheese the most!!!

I am reading here about people saving money by boiling their tap water. I've been drinking the sink water without boiling for over a month, no problems (short term, at least!)

Do most people actually buy/boil water?! I'm really surprised.

BA tap water is supposed to be just fine... maybe not the best-tasting, but safe to drink. I've never had any problems drinking straight from a tap. BUT since water takes all of 2 minutes to boil in my electric tea kettle, I do it anyway.

Back