Inflation Wingers Post Here!

I came here as a 22-year-old six months out of school and so could happily put up with a lower quality of life, but after two years, living like a college student (worse than I did in college!) has gotten old. I can't afford to do the things that made me fall in love with the city in the first place. Here are a few:

1. Going out to eat/for a coffee-- I miss being able to sit at a table and people watch. I was walking around San Telmo yesterday and wound up at the parque Lezama. I wanted nothing more than to stroll down Caseros and eat lunch at the restaurant of the same name at one of the outside tables, but had to go back to my apartment and eat leftover homemade empanadas instead. Even just a coffee wasn't an option. Next time I'll take the empanadas with me and eat at the park.

2. Going out at night-- Other than a few bars like Puerta Roja that have good happy hours and decently priced food, I've pretty much stopped going out this year. Since January I've been to a boliche twice, which I actually really miss. I've never been a crazy partier and don't care much for the bars in Palermo (the pretentious crowd, ugh) but dancing the night away in BA is a blast. I love going to the movies, but it's just too expensive.

3. Shopping-- I don't for clothing or shoes here. Ever. I actually really need to, and don't just want to, but there's no way in hell I'm doing it here. I walked around Cuesta Blanca the other day and tortured myself a bit, but I know those cute tops will just fall apart, and I could get similar styles with much better quality for like 10 bucks at Target back home.

4. Food shopping-- No soda, no bottled water, no chips or other snack foods, not even instant coffee anymore. Of course I make allowances for wine, but if I'm buying something on a Benjamin Nieto level, that's fancy for me. Chino, verdulería, carnicería, granja, that´s is. Every now and then, barrio chino. Haven't set foot in a Disco or anything like that in months and months.

5. Laundry-- Used to love having lavanderías here, even though your clothes never come back completely clean. But several in San Telmo have gone up to 22 (!!) pesos, and 16 pesos by my boyfriend's place in Palermo. So I have to do a lot of tedious hand washing. Last year in Montserrat I had same-day laundry service for 12 pesos. Speed Queen at México y Lima, I miss you.

6. Apartments-- I used to think BA apartments were so cool. A few months ago, I decided it would be neat to live in Almagro. I looked at four rooms, all in the 370-400 dollar range (I would have liked cheaper, but, well, there isn't). Horrible. Decrepit PHs with no windows, maybe a terrace or something, but if the front door closes and there are two inches of space between the bottom of the door and the ground, you can just imagine the cockroaches there will be in the summer. Dirty, teeny kitchens, four people sharing one bathroom, you get the idea. Note: If you're willing to pay this and have a room the size of a box with a twin bed, the quality goes up a little. But I'd already lived in that type of room, and really didn't want to go back.

I´m out of here at the end of the year and to be honest I can´t wait. I know deep down that even if I did have money here, I still wouldn't like it. I just don't feel a connection to this place, but that's for another thread. If I did, I'd try to get an en blanco job, but even then, I'd be making what, 6000 pesos? I want to save money so I don't have to worry when I'm old. I want to travel, travel with my kids one day. I don't want to have to convert my earnings into dollars and keep my savings in a bank in the U.S. if I don't live there. I want to be able to go out at night and enjoy the city I'm living in without having to scour the internet for free stuff.

I think BA is great if you work remotely and make a foreign currency. But I don't, so I'm out of here.

French jurist said:
Tomorrow october 1st, raises expected for gas & electricity bills : up to 200%

http://www.ieco.clarin.com/economia/Reducen-subsidios-sube-costo-electricidad_0_563943652.html

And in Capital, the ABL might increase by 66% (average) :
http://www.ieco.clarin.com/economia/Capital-quieren-aumentar-ABL-promedio_0_563943709.html

Have a nice day!

We sold our house in June and the new owner called me late July having an infarto when his first electricity bill of 385 pesos arrived. This bill was subisidized and in winter when he wasnt running the central air conditioning system which cools the house for a staggering bill of approx. 900 pesos every 2 months in summer..subsidized. I think I'll change my email address because I can hear him screaming from here when he gets his first unsubsidized electricity bill.
FYI the central heating for the same house is gas and the bill in any season never exceeded 16 pesos...cheaper than a coffee and a tostado these days and no doubt due to some screw up with the meter.:D

I'm curious don'tmindme, can you live better in Europe or the States? Seems like young people there are facing similar lives.

I use 15% off Disco coupons and stock up. I´m going to Lima and San Francisco, next week and plan to compare supermarket prices there with those here. Appar-
ently, people are cutting down on their movie visits. I went to a movie at Patio Bullrich on Wednesday, the cheap day. There were 5 people in the theater.

French jurist said:
Even less, the cheapest cities to live in cost around 2.000 Euros per square meter : http://www.dessine-moi-une-maison.f...r-2011-villes-les-moins-cheres-de-france.html

For instance, life in Perpignan isn't bad (South of France, sunny, the French Catalunya, close to the sea, close to Spain, etc.).

Thanks for the info about prices in France and the rate increases coming. Quite honestly, the situation in Argentina seems hopeless. There is NOTHING but bad news. For those of us who have hung in for years but whose incomes haven't kept up, the situation is grim. It's both worrying and depressing.

My views are that the situation in out of control with all the inflation and the cost of living rises on a daily basis . Increases of 100 % of many food products in the last year and there is seems to be no will to change this by anyone.

I am no longer positive about the economic situation as it is not sustainable . This is not only a Argentinian problem as it seems that inflation has greatly accelerated worldwide and food prices are rising way faster than official rates of inflation.

To eat out in Buenos Aires is way higher than most countries and certainly higher than the USA where eating cheap is very easy . Cheap meals for lunch in a healthy place are no less than 55 pesos now about 13 dollars.

chris said:
Thanks for the info about prices in France and the rate increases coming. Quite honestly, the situation in Argentina seems hopeless. There is NOTHING but bad news. For those of us who have hung in for years but whose incomes haven't kept up, the situation is grim. It's both worrying and depressing.

In early winter of 2009 (in an attempt to counter the effects of inflation) I moved from an apartment in Recoleta (with high expenses thanks to a portero and an elevator) to a PH in Nunez (with no expenses). In early winter 2010 I moved to my present location in the south of Provincia Bs. As. with the intention of "living off the land" if necessary.:rolleyes:

To an alarming and ever increasing extent, it is now necessary.:eek:

It's also very health promoting and a lot of fun.:)

I apologize in advance if having a positive attitude is inappropriate in this thread.:p

jb5 said:
I'm curious don'tmindme, can you live better in Europe or the States? Seems like young people there are facing similar lives.

Well, I'm from a U.S. city (Houston, the fourth largest in the country) where the cost of living is still pretty cheap compared to places like New York and San Francisco. As a young person there, it's just about equal to BA at the moment (fine dining and some cultural things like the theater and symphony, etc. excluded), the rent being just a bit more expensive, although I'm guessing in a year apartments in BA will be more expensive. I've never made more than 3000 pesos or so a month here in BA (long story, learned some very important lessons about working en negro), so yes, I can definitely live better there because even if I worked all day at a cafe or something, I could rent with roommates in a decent apartment in the inner city and be able to have a life. When I go home to visit, I go out a lot more than here because it's cheaper, for example. Going back to visit on Monday. Maybe I'll report back on this if things have changed.

Some friends my age back home have kind of hit the pause button since graduating--many are still working the same types of jobs they worked in college, just full time. And they're happy to have them. The exceptions are those who majored in subjects like engineering or accounting, who have found "real" jobs. The others are either riding it out or planning their own international adventure. Of course, I can't speak for the youth of the whole country, but this is what I personally have observed among my peers.

But for me living "better" in the U.S. has a lot to do with not having to deal with what I view as the negatives here: horrible customer service, bureaucratic nightmares all the time, increasing crime, lack of diversity, closed off and sometimes unfriendly people who expect you to jump through hoops to break into their circle of trust to become their friend, etc. And now, a high (for me) cost of living that adds to the general frustration. So I know I can have a "better" life in Houston.

I think you can be happy abroad, even broke, after the honeymoon period ends--but you really have to love where you are! I think it's really cool that so many people who come to BA feel more at home here than they did in their home country, but I definitely do not. :p

Back