Interested In Working In Buenos Aires

Ryank88

Registered
Hi,

I currently live in Washington, DC and work in the field of international development. I hold a bachelors degree in International relations and economics from the College of William and Mary and speak some Italian and Spanish. I am very interested in moving to Argentina, specifically Buenos Aires or Mendoza, for employment, and I would appreciate any advice on how to begin the process and how to increase my chances of finding a job there. I plan to get TEFL certification in July of this year, but if there is any other certification you would recommend please do tell. Again I would greatly appreciate your advice. I am open to any career type and have over 2 years of professional work experience.

With Kind Regards,
Ryan

Ryan, you can start by using the search bar at the top of the home page. There are many, many threads on the same issue full of great advice.

Good luck!

GS

Hi Ryan, Since you included "TEFL" in your post, I suggest you begin using the search feature with the words "teaching english sucks."

If you click on the sprocket next to the magnifying glass you will be able to search in greater depth for additional information.
emo32.gif

Hey Ryan! I moved here a few months ago, also with a TEFL certificate, but found a job that is a little more prosperous than teaching English here. That is certainly not to say teaching is wonderful because I surely enjoyed it and perhaps will return to such endeavors someday, but for my time here in Buenos Aires, this is a job I like very much and it pays better than teaching English. I posted about it here - http://baexpats.org/topic/33081-openings-live-closed-captioning-for-native-english-speakers/

Good luck in your move! Bring all your documents with you if you are interested in obtaining anything more than a tourist visa (FBI history, birth certificate, etc) :)

Yeah, everyone wants to live here! right!

But how are you guys going support yourself? Teaching English? Bollocks!

How many English teachers can this city handle??!!!

Seriously the first thing I thought was why would anyone be interested in working in BA? It's no good for working. Unless you love horses or tango and can work in doing things related to that. Do some research on the wages and then decide to just come for an experience if you must. (or an internship I suppose)

Good luck in your move! Bring all your documents with you if you are interested in obtaining anything more than a tourist visa (FBI history, birth certificate, etc) :)

Good advice but keep in mind that (according to recent posts) the FBI report is only "valid" for 60 days. I am not sure, however if that means if you get the report while you are still in the US, you have 60 days to arrive in Argentina before it "expires" or if it "expires" sixty days after the date it was issued, even if you have been in Argentina the entire time (and requested the report from Argentina).

The FBI report must receive the official certification (apostille) from the US State department to be acceptable to Argentine migraciones. Then it must be translated by a licensed translator and "legalized" in Argentina.

Other important points: You do not need the birth certificate and you cannot apply for a work visa before you have been offered employment by an Argentine business that has approval from migraciones to hire foreigners.

A translation of your passport is no longer required and the Argentine "criminal" report (which must be submitted with your other documents when applying for a work visa) is relatively easy to obtain.

Hi,

Thank you for the advice. I didn't notice the search feature so I will use that from now on. I have always wanted to live in Argentina or somewhere in South America, but to be honest I was hoping I could do more than teach. I thought that would be the best way to initially get my foot in the door, however, since I assume it is easier to get a job once you are already located in country.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Back