International Child Custody

Does anybody remember a famous case about 2 years ago of a famous legal battle between an argentine and American parent about the custody of there child?

The Argentine parent was a member of a powerfull c.q. rich family from zona norte

It actually sounded like she was on the fence about it. She obviously contemplated it because she even mentioned that she thought Argentina was not part of the Hague Convention. I mean who WOULD openly admit to trying to kidnap their child on an open forum? I doubt she will ever post in this forum under that screen name again. I just hope for the sake of the child, the father and her that she goes about things the legal and moral way.

Gringoboy said:
Well, the OP hasn't replied as yet, but I sincerely hope she is getting legal advice.
It's clear from reading her original post that she expressed clear intention NOT to abduct her newborn son.
Argentina is signed up to the Hague Abduction Convention:
http://travel.state.gov/abduction/resources/congressreport/congressreport_1487.html
I wish her well.

A couple of questions and assumptions: I am assuming you are a US citizen and when you say you have citizenship for your child I am assuming you, hopefully, received a CRBA from the US Embassy in BA, as well as the US passport? If you have the passport, which required the father to be present when it was issued, then that will get you back to the states. If you are a "single" mother and no father is listed on the birth certificate, I advise you to head to the Embassy and see if you can get your child a US passport ASAP. If he is not listed on the birth certificate then you probably don't need him present; if he is listed, that is a different story.

I think most of the remarks I have read on this board thus far concern Argentinian law and applying for an Argentinian passport for your child. If you have the US equivalents (citizenship and passport), you don't need the other. Valid passport = you can travel. I can't imagine how they can keep you in the country if you have a US passport for your child. They have no idea at the airport where the child was born or that an Argentinian father even exists.

Get to the Embassy and get your CRBA and passport ASAP.

I want to add that my advise above in no way condones or seeks to assist in any type of unlawful act, in fact, quite the opposite. I hope the OP can resolve her situation amicably.

My comments were meant to inform the OP that in the event that there is no father listed on the birth certificate, US law recognizes situations and circumstances unique to a single mother with a child, to the benefit of both parties. She may be able to take advantage of those laws if her situation is bleak.

I just realized this conversation is 11 pages long, four years old, and I missed a few details before responding!

Dammit.

Icabod said:
A couple of questions and assumptions: I am assuming you are a US citizen and when you say you have citizenship for your child I am assuming you, hopefully, received a CRBA from the US Embassy in BA, as well as the US passport? If you have the passport, which required the father to be present when it was issued, then that will get you back to the states. If you are a "single" mother and no father is listed on the birth certificate, I advise you to head to the Embassy and see if you can get your child a US passport ASAP. If he is not listed on the birth certificate then you probably don't need him present; if he is listed, that is a different story.

I think most of the remarks I have read on this board thus far concern Argentinian law and applying for an Argentinian passport for your child. If you have the US equivalents (citizenship and passport), you don't need the other. Valid passport = you can travel. I can't imagine how they can keep you in the country if you have a US passport for your child. They have no idea at the airport where the child was born or that an Argentinian father even exists.

Get to the Embassy and get your CRBA and passport ASAP.

Why do you think they check birthplace?

if the child was born here, there they have hin/her on the computer, no matter how many citizenships he/she might have, here the child is argentine.

If they are nice, they just reject you aat the airport. If they aren t, they can arrest her. So, please don t give improper legal advice about how to cheat criminal law.

So, any family lawyer can help her to deal with this situation.

Regards

Icabod said:
I just realized this conversation is 11 pages long, four years old, and I missed a few details before responding!

Dammit.

Four years old?
You may need to double check that, unless I've missed something.

Thanks for posting this.

Bajo_cero2 said:
if the child was born here, there they have hin/her on the computer, no matter how many citizenships he/she might have, here the child is argentine.

If they are nice, they just reject you aat the airport. If they aren t, they can arrest her. So, please don t give improper legal advice about how to cheat criminal law.

So, any family lawyer can help her to deal with this situation.

Regards

Back