International Child Custody

TheBlackHand said:
Definitely one of the reasons people need to be careful who they are having children with in the first place.

You said something like this in a previous post also: "Whatever this woman is thinking about now she should have thought before she had a child with this person."

You are a man, I take it??

lucha54 said:
You said something like this in a previous post also: "Whatever this woman is thinking about now she should have thought before she had a child with this person."

Doesn't matter.
Men and women should be mature enough to think properly about children. It's not a game. We can create a lot of suffering if we are not careful.

Gringoboy said:
We had a similar situation, albeit the child concerned was much older, ten years old and the circumstances were more 'matured', shall we say.
My Argentine lady had a particularly acrimonious split from her long term partner (they were never married) and when I arrived on the scene six months later, unaware of the nitty gritty, it was almost open warfare.
Later, when we were planning on visiting the UK as a family, the ex demanded an exact itinery of our movements in the UK, including addresses and phone numbers which he could then track on Google maps, before giving written permission for his son to travel with us. I recoiled at this suggestion, but my lady buckled under the pressure and provided it.
He almost immediately refused permission and so we travelled without him, thus denying the child an opportunity to open his eyes to a world outside Argentina.
Our intentions were honest and never in a month of Sundays would we have considered absconding with the child. Furthermore he also refused to agree to renewing the child's passport at that time, although the law has since changed.
Either he had this real fear that we would try to 'kidnap' the child, or he was simply playing his own game. I firmly believe the latter.
Since that time there have been numerous incidents of a similar nature which have merely served to enhance the child's hatred of his father and also a fear of him.
For me, the most abhorrent is the fact that the ex uses his child as a pawn to get back at the the child's mother and he has no qualms in using this form of psychological warfare whatsoever.
For my part, I have suggested to my lady that he deserves only the information necessary, either by law or by means of seeing his son which we have never prevented.
I know this may be veering away from the original OP post, but we know by experience that there are some people who play by their own rules and those alone.
We have learned to read the undercurrent to understand the agenda. Things are more peaceful now as only time can assist in and the child who is now 16, makes his own mind up when and if to see his father.
Sadly, he said to us the other day 'When I'm 18, I will destroy him for what he has done.'
As has been said many times, we reap what we sow.

It's easy to think for the father of your stepchild(or kid of your partner) but it isn't to hard to see an British man from Brittain staying in the UK.

That would mean he would probally never see his kid again

Better safe then sorry

El chabon said:
So that means that ALWAYS the consent of the other parent is needed if one parent wants to travel with an Argentine kid out of Argentina?

This is EXACTLY correct. What the other posters said are correct. Anytime you have a situation where your child was born in Argentina it makes them a local. It doesn't matter if you aren't a resident or anything else.

The laws are VERY strict there. I had two children born in Buenos Aires and they could never leave Argentina without showing their DNI's, we had to show our birth certificates for them and we even had to show our marriage certificate (but I'm sure if you're not married you can get around that). They are VERY strict about leaving the country without both parents being there or having a Certified letter signed by the other parent if they aren't with the mother and child on the trip.

It's not just Argentina but other countries in South America do the same thing as well. My sister in law who is 14 years old went out of Argentina last year and while they got the special letter to leave Argentina that her dad signed, my mother in law assumed that it would be enough as the letter that was notorized stated the travel dates and which countries she was going to and when she was coming back. Well, the other country she went to wouldn't let her leave as they also demanded a separate letter from their Embassy so they missed their flight and her dad had to go to an Embassy in Buenos Aires and sign another form and they faxed it to the police at the airport.

In your situation, it will be impossible to legally bring your child out of Argentina without his express written consent. The laws are very strong for parent's rights. While you will be allowed to go back to the USA, your child will not unless your husband signs the paperwork.

This is an ugly situation. I'd advise anyone in this similar situation before they have the baby to fly back to there home country to have the baby. The baby can still later get a DNI and Argentina passport if they want but it just complicates things tremendously.

El chabon said:
It's easy to think for the father of your stepchild(or kid of your partner) but it isn't to hard to see an British man from Brittain staying in the UK.

That would mean he would probally never see his kid again

Better safe then sorry

I think I made my intentions very clear, Chabon. Or should I say, my lack of intentions.
The point I was trying to make is that one has to be extremely cautious in a very highly charged emotional situation and never underestimate the parties involved.
The OP clearly states that the father has threatened to 'take' the child.

Not sure what gender has to do with all of this other than in this particular case the mother was the one trying to kidnap the child and take them away from the father. The main point is BOTH parents have rights to their children, regardless of gender. The second point is children should not be kidnapped or abducted, by their parents, regardless of their parents gender. Did that clarify things for you or would you prefer to make this a gender issue ?

lucha54 said:

Exactly. The most important person in all of this is the child.

BASailor said:
Doesn't matter.
Men and women should be mature enough to think properly about children. It's not a game. We can create a lot of suffering if we are not careful.

And the OP responded by threatening to take the child as well. Only not to take custody of the child, to actually kidnap the child and take them out of their home country. I don't think the Argentine parent was threatening to take the child out of Argentina. Big difference.

Gringoboy said:
The OP clearly states that the father has threatened to 'take' the child.

In case you forgot exactly what the OP said 10 pages back, I've re-copied it for you. Maybe our interpretations are different, but that would be a semantics issue.

USExpatMom said:
Hi,

I gave birth to my son two months ago with my argentine boyfriend. Since the birth, things have been quite bad and he has threatened to take him on a number of occasions. Its gotten to the point that I don't want to be here.

I have already gotten him his US citizenship, and so I want to know what rights I have as a technically "single mother" to taking him back to the states. Argentina isn't apart of the hague countries and I wouldn't dream of "abducting" my child, but I know that we would be much better on living in the states.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an international custody lawyer? As I think I need to talk to someone asap to get all of this information in writing.

Also, keep the nasty remarks to a minimum please... I'm just looking for some help to get myself and my child out of a terrible situation.

Thanks for worrying so much. But no, I didn't forget. I also didn't forget the 10 pages of people advising the one post anonymous " OP " to steal the baby.

But yeah. I made my point. If you feel the same, congrats.

lucha54 said:
In case you forgot exactly what the OP said 10 pages back

Back