International Pet Transport Services

Oh... step (4) a certificate of health within 10 days of flying...

I envy you! You will have no problems....cats are so much less stressful in many ways and this is just another. Suerte!

I feel like going through the red tape of qualifying myself as someone in need of a service dog would be more complicated than just paying the fee...Although with the stress of this move I might actually fall under the guidelines!
The boxer I mentioned was perfectly calm. His owner got a bulkhead seat and the dog laid down by his feet and wasn't heard from again during the flight. Possibly it was sedated. I can only imagine what would have happened if my 80lb boxer were on the flight. Sedated or not, first he would have wanted to meet and check out everyone on the flight, probably licking hands and faces as he bounded around the cabin. My guess is that the flight attendants would not have gotten the food cart passed the first row of seats before complete pandemonium erupted.

Hi all, I've just read this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3023146/GPS-tracking-device-pets-launched-flights-owners-know-location-temperature-condition-pets-stage-journey.html

Good to know if you have to fly with Delta!

Hi everyone,
Wanted to check back in to follow up on this thread as I am now in the US with my dog (yey!) who is safe and happy as can be. Las Lunas was great: http://www.latampettransport.com/destinations/argentina/
Responsive, friendly, genuinely care about your pet. After picking my dog up, they sent me photos and videos of him throughout the day (leading up to his check in), including one where they were feeding him his medicine. Totally recommend them.

As a side note - I flew United and used their "pet safe program" I was advised to choose a longer layover in Houston (en route to NJ) so that they could take him out of his crate, walk and feed him and deal with customs procedures. The United customer service rep suggested a 3-4 hour layover. Well - when he arrived in NJ it didn't look as if he had been taken out for that break - the food that Las Lunas had provided was still in a bag taped to the outside of the crate and he didn't look like a dog who had been let out 4 hours prior. He peed a lake on the airport floor because the poor guy had been holding it for god knows how long. I'm so thankful that he arrived safely in the end but kicking myself for making him do that long layover when I had a way shorter layover option.

Thanks for the update. Were you required to use an agent? Can you share the costs?

Thanks!

I envy you! You will have no problems....cats are so much less stressful in many ways and this is just another. Suerte!

Sure, cats are less stressful if you enjoy toxoplasmosis...

Change your tune, ajo. I am asking *pleeeeease*.

I was required to use a 3rd party agent because on United (the airline I needed to take) animals that are too big for the cabin can only fly as cargo versus excess baggage. If they are flying cargo the rule is you can't do it yourself and it's much more expensive. I believe that most airlines offer excess baggage as an option which is much cheaper - you basically pay $300 or so to check the dog in yourself as luggage. The end up traveling in the same part of the plane anyway from what I understand. Las Lunas charged me $2227 USD which you could do an Argentine bank transfer or pay cash. I paid cash so they charged 23,848 pesos - the official rate plus 21%VAT. I was quoted an even higher rate by other services.

Bottom line - if your animal can't fit in the cabin, shoot for an airline that allows them to be checked in as excess baggage to save $. I chose United because I thought they were the safest by reputation/the fact that they have this whole pet safe program -but as I said I don't think they removed him from his crate when they were supposed to - so they may be just as marginal as all the rest.

Not a fun process in general and glad it's over!

Thanks again for benefiting our community with your reporting back on the outcome of your experience. Good luck in your new endeavor

Back