International Women's Day Strike In Capital Federal

Rodolfo, you are SO right. For "pro lifers" who endorse the rape exception, the issue isn't murder, it is whether the woman had a good time.

Do you recognize the ridiculousness of that? Seriously. That is the typical bullshit sexist answer.

If you think abortion is murder then how is murdering an innocent baby begotten by rape acceptable? There is no difference between the fetuses. The only difference is how justified you feel in forcing a woman to undergo pregnancy against her will.

Product of Rape = "That wasn't her fault, let's let her off", Product of Consensual Sex = "That slut needs to learn that actions have consequences"

I arrived around 2:30 at Congress where I joined a mother and her two daughters, all holding signs for women's rights. They were interviewed and photographed by news media. A five-year-old somehow attracted attention. She was quiet and calm throughout the afternoon. I stood and watched as the crowd grew larger as the time for the march approached. I don't like noise, but it didn't bother me. I was there for a reason.

All I can say is it was a nice experience being with the group of women I joined at Bme Mitre and Callao. We all wore green scarves with these words -- CAMPANA NACIONAL POR EL DERECHO AL ABORTO LEGAL, SEGURO Y GRATUITO. Educacion sexual para decidir, anticonceptivos para no abortar, aborto legal para no morir. The leaders kept us together and had us singing songs they wrote for the event. It was wonderful being with so many young women who support this campaign. There was a young mother with her three children walking with us; her youngest daughter is one year old and wore the scarf on her head. A leader had the foresight to start walking down Hipolito Irygogen to the start of Avenida de Mayo. This way we bypassed lots of groups standing along Rivadavia. The walk was slow and the afternoon sun was hot. We slowly made our way down to the other side of Nuevo de Julio. Afternoon traffic was rerouted around the march. I decided to leave at march at this point. I was out of water after five hours and hadn't eaten since the morning.

It was a peaceful march, and lots of people were along the route observing and taking photos.

Was anyone else on this forum at the march?

Thanks for bringing us back to the OP. Sounds like a great experience! Brava for participating in your first protest...I think you will have lots of other opportunities in the future!

Just wondering if these pro-life expats are also anti-death penalty?
Also, to put the responsibility on a woman who has been raped to always get the morning after pill immediately or get abortion right away is unrealistic and unfair. Not sure how the abortion option would work in Argentina anyways, since it's technically illegal in this country.
I always wonder how people can think it's a good idea to force women to have children they don't want. What kind of lives are these children going to have, or are you all in the market for adopting an unwanted child? If every child was raised by someone who truly wanted him or her, it would go a long way to solving many of our problems and making the world a far better place.

Just wondering if these pro-life expats are also anti-death penalty?
Also, to put the responsibility on a woman who has been raped to always get the morning after pill immediately or get abortion right away is unrealistic and unfair. Not sure how the abortion option would work in Argentina anyways, since it's technically illegal in this country.
I always wonder how people can think it's a good idea to force women to have children they don't want. What kind of lives are these children going to have, or are you all in the market for adopting an unwanted child? If every child was raised by someone who truly wanted him or her, it would go a long way to solving many of our problems and making the world a far better place.
I don't think anybody is entitled to terminate another person's life unless that person has express his desire to die ( euthanasia ). It has to do with human rights. I am not for death penalty and I am not pro abortion. Flushing babies down the toilet does not make the world better. Education and equality do. The only exceptions that make sense is when the mother's life is at risk. I am not arrogant and I might be wrong, but I think it was outrageous to include this topic as central in this demonstration.

It didn't look like a peaceful march on the news.

It didn't look like a peaceful march on the news.
No matter what happens, there's always an invader element who just want to cause trouble.
But what gets me is, why are women's rights still not equal to men's after so many prominent women presidents and prime ministers?
CFK, Dilma, Thatcher and Merkel to name but a few.
But then, you only have to look to Iceland and see that they have turned the tables.

But what gets me is, why are women's rights still not equal to men's after so many prominent women presidents and prime ministers?\
In terms of the law, they are. One can even argue that the law today favors women more than men in most western countries.
The issue is societal behavior and expectations. There is where the parity is lacking. But in the pure legal sense, women actually have more rights than men.

What are their demands exactly?

The demands where multiple

Machismo and sex violence
A state employment quota for transexuals
End prostitution exploitation by pimps
Equal salary
Equal employment oppts.
Female train conductors

Among others

Back