Internet Dead Slow? Fibertel

Great advice in this thread . Thank you all. My fibertel is working fine. But a block away , there have been different fibertal techs , up the pole working on fixing the service there , everyday for the last week. Just saying , Happy it is not my building.

I always put DDWRT on any router I deal with. It's openware and tends to solve most problems with routers, including overheating and over-exceeding connections.

ddwrt is great if your router supports it, unfortunately not all do.
Open wrt is another open firmware similar to ddwrt

you can check if your router is supported here
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Nico -- Glanced over the thread, so you may have your solution already. I'm in Belgrano, close to Juramento station. The fibertel guys were out here about two weeks ago shutting off internet for much of the surrounding area (a few of the blocks) to do technical work. This can be wildly frustrating for obvious reasons.

For future reference: If you call them, their automated system will tell if there's work going on in your area immediately after you enter your account number.

Nico -- Glanced over the thread, so you may have your solution already. I'm in Belgrano, close to Juramento station. The fibertel guys were out here about two weeks ago shutting off internet for much of the surrounding area (a few of the blocks) to do technical work. This can be wildly frustrating for obvious reasons.

For future reference: If you call them, their automated system will tell if there's work going on in your area immediately after you enter your account number.

There may have been some problem at night hence the screw up with the router but resetting the router fixed it. Thanks for the tip on the automated system.

Not sure if a firmware upgrade is the way to go, if the problem is outside the premises.

Know cablevision/fibertel is having to modify their installations in apartment buildings throughout the city. Something to do with some new regulation, no common connection or something on that order. While they have been doing this, service has been erratic and poor the past few days. They just completed my mods, new coax throughout the apartment and what a mess. Dog and pony show. YMMV.

Nope, but firmware update might help stability on older devices.

Sorry for my late answer, fibertel aka of cablevision is the worst internet provider here in BA i used to have it in my first month in Argentina!!!!! And i did everything starting from unplugging, turning off and those crapy instructions to even changing the modem and it didnt worked. At the end i canceled my 12 months inscription and i paied a fine then i got Arnet which is fantastic since last august 2011 it didnt stoped even i didnt had any technical issue wth the modem.
i recommed any other internet providerthan cablevision :)
Good luck with your choice

Sorry for my late answer, fibertel aka of cablevision is the worst internet provider here in BA i used to have it in my first month in Argentina!!!!! And i did everything starting from unplugging, turning off and those crapy instructions to even changing the modem and it didnt worked. At the end i canceled my 12 months inscription and i paied a fine then i got Arnet which is fantastic since last august 2011 it didnt stoped even i didnt had any technical issue wth the modem.
i recommed any other internet providerthan cablevision :)
Good luck with your choice

Fibertel work perfectly, never a problem for me, why you recommend arnet? is the worst internet service in the city.

Back