Internet problems :(

Try using a torrent, since it doesn´t work as a direct download (I mean, at least for the free download manager).

Thanks for that input guys - its like having my own IT helpdesk here - I really appreciate it :) At this stage SOMETHING has changed - I am now getting some downloads okay - but not all - and I can't help thinking that maybe someone at fibertel has finally decided to flush the cache or something - the second I can get my main machine back to linux the better though - then at least I will feel like I know what I am doing again - the damn windows 7 update situation is still totally stuffed - and even the microsoft repair tools and wizards that say they have fixed it don't fix it - but once I can be back on suse or ubuntu or mandriva or something - with update manager that I actually *understand* then maybe I can figure out the rest of the story :)

Caz said:
Hi all, Hoping somebody out there will be able to tell me what the problem is. I am on a Fibertel cable connection here in BA and for about a week now all of my computers (they all connect via a wireless router I have plugged into the cable modem) have problems with downloading software updates and with downloading programs - every file I download (if it is a program) is corrupted and cannot be executed.

Welcome to 3rd world infastructure.. I have tried every major provider in my area and they are all like the weather and they all just plain do not and can not provide good service.

I now have Giga RED, Arnet and Fibertel all at the same time. Usually one of them is functioning if and that is IF I am lucky. Nothing is more fustrating to me then the infastructure here.. it is just pathedic and there is no way around it.

I have had all the ISP grunts check out my connections and just watching them I know there is no way anyone is going to get good connectivity consistantly in this area..

Now I just keep my work flow a day or two days ahead of schedule and cross my fingers when I have a large file to deliver to clients on a deadline.

Best option for download problems is www.freedownloadmanager.com try it if you are windows or download something like it if you are on a MAC.

Reactions: Caz
marksoc said:
Try using a torrent, since it doesn´t work as a direct download (I mean, at least for the free download manager).

This is your best shot to download a correct file...
Since most P2P programs validate(Hash) the file when completing downloads. If the file is corrupted, they will redownload the corrupted segment...

But again, do you have a antivirus? or another computer that is working fine in the same Network?

Reactions: Caz
Sorry to semi-hijack but what are the fastest broadband speeds one can get in BA and which are the best ISPs? The internet will be crucial to my work -thanks.

Malthus101

Still working on it guys :) lol At the moment going to use a download manager to get that stupid service pack 1 for windoze bloatware 7 and then manually update to see if that will overcome the broken windoze update situation - some downloads at least seem to be working so who knows, maybe that problem will sort itself out...

Lee said:
Probably Fibertal 15 mps

http://www.fibertel.com.ar/seccion-94-cablemodem-Fibertel-banda-ancha.html

Cable broadband.

As with everything in BA you might not get that speed depending on the buidling you are in!

Yeah def the fastest connection I have but choppy at times and they seem to issues with DNS sever routing into the states and Europe at times. So if your work is critical internet related my suggestion is carry two providers so you always have a plan B!

Back