Internet Problems

I wanted share a bit of info about improving internet connectivity. Basically I have independently arrived at the same conclusion as vagabundo above - that there are some serious DNS issues here. Seems that Speedy's poor handling of DNS is second only to their non-existent customer service.

Lately my connectivity has been worse, even though I had changed a while back to google's public DNS servers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. The intermittent problems were getting to be such a headache lately that I finally sat down and tried to research the DNS issue. Pinging the google servers I found that they were in fact timing out. So I then looked for closer DNS servers and found this list:
http://www.taringa.n...ina-Nanows.html

Pinging them all one by one from the command line, I found that they all timed out except the following:

200.51.212.7 35ms
208.67.222.222 186 ms
200.69.193.1 29ms
200.69.193.2 29ms
8.8.8.8 183ms

I also found the activity of pinging them very boring and thought "there must be a script for this". I then searched online and found the same software vagabundo mentions above, DNS Benchmark:
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

I ran the in depth test which automatically queries 400+ servers and ranks the top 50 most responsive. The results were similar to what I found from the command line, but much simpler to use.

Since changing the DNS to something closer, more responsive, I have had a fairly dramatic decrease of page timeouts, empty response, etc, though of course it doesn't do anything for the slow speed of loading larger pages, images, videos etc. DNS just helps you initially find the location of the page from the name you type in the browser. You could try the servers I list above, but it would be much better to run the tests and find the ones that are best for your particular location.

I've said before and i'll say it again, before you change your nameservers make sure you trust the nameservers you are going to use as once they have control over your dns they can redirect any request you make to whatever server you want.

i.e.
hsbc.com could redirect to a server that copies down your details and then empties your bank account.

Back