Invasion Of The Mosquitos

Routine spraying of any plants in or around your home and any place where water stands such as exterior drains is the best way to cut down the mosquito population. It's important to treat areas right after a rain because that's when the breeding really kicks in. I have found that professional services on a regular schedule do the best job and have the best chemicals. Within about 10 minutes of inhaling anywhere near those plugins, my chest starts to constrict and I cough so I know that those chemicals are really bad for us. CO2 emitters and zappers draw in more mosquitoes from outside areas than they kill so they're pretty much worthless.

It's not ideal, but in a pinch I have put Off on before bed if I see a bunch in the house. Beats waking up to that annoying sound of imminent bites.

http://naturehacks.com/5-herbs-that-repel-mosquitoes/ ...but these current mosquitoes have truly evolved with evil in their veins. Never seen such an aggressive wave of blood suckers in my days here.

I propose fighting plague with plague. Let us import bats!

Routine spraying of any plants in or around your home and any place where water stands such as exterior drains is the best way to cut down the mosquito population. It's important to treat areas right after a rain because that's when the breeding really kicks in. I have found that professional services on a regular schedule do the best job and have the best chemicals. Within about 10 minutes of inhaling anywhere near those plugins, my chest starts to constrict and I cough so I know that those chemicals are really bad for us. CO2 emitters and zappers draw in more mosquitoes from outside areas than they kill so they're pretty much worthless.

All this is not applicable cos what happened 2 nights ago - I have never ever witnessed it ( at least in Palermo).

Within about 10 minutes of inhaling anywhere near those plugins, my chest starts to constrict and I cough so I know that those chemicals are really bad for us.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Twelve years ago I had windows replaced in my PH (ground floor duplex). I ordered the ones for the covered patio and upstairs bedroom with screens at an additional cost. The 3 other owners in the bldg with identical units (but with uncovered patios) thought the screen in the bedroom window was an overkill. I also have a mosquito net for my bed as the master bedroom is downstairs and opens to the patio. I haven't utilized the net in years.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]When planning to be away for a few hours, I spray around the frame of my front door after exiting into the uncovered common corridor.[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] The number of bites I have sustained indoors have been minimal. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]On the other hand, my neighbors are using Raid tablets and sprays to no avail. Yet complain about chest congestion which they are attributing to "the first impact of fall weather".[/background]

Follow-up question:

These RAID liquid thingies you plug in and it repells mosquitos:

http://www.raid.com.ar/es-ar/products/raid-liquid-electric-base

they're everywhere indoors in Arg - and the web site has no info, not even what the primary chemicals are. Does anyone know? I want to research to see how poisonous to humans they are......

Bobspuppynow, there's a rumor going around that you may know ;)

Thanks!!!

Ps - maybe Tree Picos has read this thread and decided he doesn't want to suffer from death by insanity brought on by a thousand mosquito bites so he chose against moving to Arg. Hehe ;)

Morgan

IMG_4932.JPG

For me it's been a priority installing window screens, and a screen on the balcony doors; it's worth it .
I have read about placing citronella essential oil the house, not sure how that works.

Rodolfo - thanks!!!!! This is just what I was looking for

Googling the main ingredient (Prallethrin, in in English), I found:

http://www.naturalnews.com/050550_insecticides_pyrethroids_brain_development.html#

I take these preventative approaches first since I don't own my apartment:

I cover all my floor drains (bathroom drain with a plunger or trash bin, kitchen drain with trash bin) to prevent them from having a place to live/breed.

I wash my dish rags weekly in the clothing washer with 1 tablespoon of dish liquid...this usually cleans the machine and drains out with bubbles when draining...effectively killing any pests in the machine or drains. You could also accomplish this by pooring soapy water in those drains.

I add a drop of dish liquid to the water collection bucket for my AC unit (if it's on)...kills any larvae or mosquitos that try to live in that water.

I use the widest painters tape available to create a flap seal at all my windows and doors. Take a piece the length of the area you want to create a flap seal and fold the tape on itself leaving a centimeter of adhesive area to attach to the window/door/wall. This helps to also keep your airflow down (heat/cooling escaping).

I wash the toilet with dish liquid twice a week...this is actually the only household cleanser I use besides laundry detergent.

We probably get a few mosquitos a week in the apartment, if that. I've found they tend to be really active at night. I usually have a discarded cereal box flattened and at the ready while reading before bed, to use as my weapon when they come flying into the room. They usually land on a wall near me prior to attempting to land directly on me, where they usually end up dying.

The worst part is being out on the street... because there is truly very little you can do about them. Other than putting on off... but even then--these guys are vicious!

My bedroom window opens to a big tree, so I have just kept it closed and I use the little plug in raid things. I bought one that doesn't have a powerful scent and I keep it turned on every night and several hours during the day. It's really not that strong--especially when compared to those swirly things (how I hate those!)

I know the chemicals aren't ideal but unfortunately we truly have been invaded with a particularly aggressive breed of mosquitoes this year and it is the only thing that works for me.

Follow-up question:

These RAID liquid thingies you plug in and it repells mosquitos:

http://www.raid.com.ar/es-ar/products/raid-liquid-electric-base

they're everywhere indoors in Arg - and the web site has no info, not even what the primary chemicals are. Does anyone know? I want to research to see how poisonous to humans they are......

Bobspuppynow, there's a rumor going around that you may kno

Thanks!!!

Ps - maybe Tree Picos has read this thread and decided he doesn't want to suffer from death by insanity brought on by a thousand mosquito bites so he chose against moving to Arg. Hehe ;)

Morgan

I use the tablets instead of the liquid...for some reason, they seem a little less creepy.

Back