Iphone in BA

lastlucy

Registered
Hello all I currently have an Iphone which I love, but I was wondering if I can use it while in BA.

Thanks

lastlucy said:
Hello all I currently have an Iphone which I love, but I was wondering if I can use it while in BA.

Thanks

Do you have roaming service with it? If you do, you can. (It'll cost you a fortune) Just use Skype to call back home.

Personal is the carrier for iPone in Argentina, I think.

You need to call ATT and make sure you add the world traveler feature to your account (can't remember exactly what they call it). For an extra $5 a month to your account you get a deal on your minutes. When I'm in BA, my Iphone bill (with this feature) is about double what the normal amount is, but I use it a lot. If you limit your use, your bill will be lower.

Be sure to keep the $5 feature for the month after you return as sometimes it takes the usage a bit to catch up to your bill. Suerte!

lastlucy said:

Thanks

Are you moving here or visiting?

Using data and voice while traveling overseas is ridiculously expensive. You can use the WiFi at a lot of places here.

If you want to get a SIM card here and use it, you'll need to unlock the iPhone. This cannot currently be done for iPhones running the latest iOS software, though this is supposed to be possible in the next couple of weeks.

This cannot currently be done for iPhones running the latest iOS software,

Which is the latest version by the way? I want to "unlock" my iphone. Plus, I was told that you cannot "unlock" without first "jailbreaking". I was hoping to just unlock so I can use with a different carrier, but would prefer to not jailbreak so I can still do Apple updates...if possible.

3.0 OS and above is a problem. Can be unlocked but not all the bells and whistles will work. Buy a used Blackberry with WIFI and have it unlocked for $10.00 at Unique Phones. Maybe not as glamorous as the Iphone but will about do everything the Iphone will for one third of the cost. Apple is not user friendly when it comes to unlocking.

uy a used Blackberry with WIFI and have it unlocked for $10.00 at Unique Phones. Maybe not as glamorous as the Iphone but will about do everything the Iphone will for one third of the cost. Apple is not user friendly when it comes to unlocking.

Hmm. I have an existing iPhone already. Part of the problem here in the States and US iPhones is that Apple entered into a deal with ATT making them the exclusive iPhone carrier. And even once you are out of contract and phone is paid for, you still cannot get it unlocked. But I agree Apple is getting very "un-open source"-ish these days. I think it is due to increased competition.

Can be unlocked but not all the bells and whistles will work
Do you mean "jailbreaking"? Can you "unlock" without "jailbreaking"?

You must first jailbreak before you can unlock it. Maybe things have changed, but that is the way it has been for awhile.
Chaps me ATT will not give an unlock code after contract has been fulfilled. It truly is a a racket for Apple and ATT.

Reactions: A&A
A&A said:
Do you mean "jailbreaking"? Can you "unlock" without "jailbreaking"?

You have to jailbreak it first, and then unlock it. Here's what each means:

jailbreaking - allow the iPhone to run non-Apple approved apps.
unlock - allow the iPhone to use other carrier's SIM cards

Some technical details:
When Apple released the iPhone OS 3.1.3 in February, they upgraded the baseband firmware of the device as well. This basically broke all the previous methods of jailbreaking and unlocking the phone. The hackers figured out how to jailbreak it again and released a way to do that. (See http://spiritjb.com/ for an easy jailbreak tool.)

They also figured out how to unlock it, but they did not release that to the public. They decided to keep it to themselves until Apple released the newest iPhone 4. This way, Apple would not be able to fix the problem before releasing the new iPhone (which would have caused the hackers to start from the beginning again). Now that the new iPhone is being released on June 23 in the States, expect to see a unlock coming shortly afterwards.

Please note that once you jailbreak and unlock your iPhone, you can never use the Apple upgrade through iTunes again. You have to wait for hackers to release a new version of their hack. Usually not a big deal but you may end up waiting for new features a bit.

Reactions: A&A
Back