Iphone in BA

I have an iPhone that I have been using in Argentina for the last year. Hopefully you don't have the latest firmware as previous posters have noted that it can't be unlocked to work down here (at least not until the latest software is released iphone 4 style). The key for unlocking is more your baseband than your what version of software you have. If you have updated to the latest software you also updated your baseband and you have no choice but to wait until the latest hack for iphone 4 comes out. I believe that it is only a week away or maybe two but for sure this month.

Send me a PM and I can help you navigate the networks down here if you have an older software.

Basically you need to jailbreak it and then you will be able to unlock it. My phone worked fine after doing this and I have been more than pleased using a Personal chip (sim card). I also used moviestar last year and it worked fine until it just failed (This is what happens when you buy sim cards from the little stores around town, buy direct from the company for safety). I then went to Personal and set up an official pay as you go account with my US passport.

When you jailbreak your phone you don't need to worry about it being bricked or anything like that. It just doesn't happen anymore.

The dev blog has all the information that you need to jailbreak and unlock your phone: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ This is the holy bible of unlocking/jailbreaking. Everyone else is stealing from them so don't pay attention to them and follow what the dev blog says. Never pay for someone to do this for you as it is too easy and they are just following the dev blog anyway. If you have problems you can contact me and I will help you without charge of course. 3G is easy, 3Gs is slightly more complicated but not impossible. As to everyone else on this blog if you have problems unlocking (iphone of course), feel free to contact me and I will try and help you. It isn't incredibly difficult but sometimes it is nice to have someone that knows what they are doing.

I also have a question, does anybody know if any of las empresas down here support the mini chip that the iphone 4 takes??? I am currently in the US and thinking about bringing one back with me. Obviously though I don't want to bring one back if none of the company's support the new sims. I seriously hope one day apple comes to its senses and ditches god awful ATT.

systemlock said:
I also have a question, does anybody know if any of las empresas down here support the mini chip that the iphone 4 takes??? I am currently in the US and thinking about bringing one back with me. Obviously though I don't want to bring one back if none of the company's support the new sims. I seriously hope one day apple comes to its senses and ditches god awful ATT.

I assume that once the iPhone 4 makes it to Argentina in September, the carriers will have a micro-SIM to use.

If you're feeling brave, this guide tells you how to convert a mini-SIM into a micro-SIM:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/06/how-to-convert-a-mini-sim-into-a-micro-sim-for-iphone-4.html

Please excuse my ignorance; I have not yet bought an iphone but am seriously thinking about it as they have a new contract with Verizon. And we are moving to SoAm next year for an extended stay. Can't you use a Skype app on an I phone without being within range of a Wi-fi network?

Ahhemm.. said:
Please excuse my ignorance; I have not yet bought an iphone but am seriously thinking about it as they have a new contract with Verizon. And we are moving to SoAm next year for an extended stay. Can't you use a Skype app on an I phone without being within range of a Wi-fi network?

I don't own an iPhone and what's more I'm a technological luddite but I thought the issue was not that the phone can't be used away from a wi-fi network but that the data charges for doing so are cripplingly expensive. BICBW

Skype/Iphone:: Data plan required, deep pockets required. Remember, the brain trust in Cupertino is staying awake night and day to relieve you of your cash.

Peep game.

You need a sim card cutter. I am sure you can do it with a steady hand and some scissors as well, but the best option would be a sim card cutter. I think they cost like $ 10- $15 usd.

how_to_use_network_sim_cutter.jpg

systemlock said:

The skype app on the phone works really well but does not work unless you are on a wifi network. Be careful with the data down here on the pay as you go plans, it will vanish faster than you think but not as fast as if you were to use the plans from att down here.

Ahhemm.. said:

A couple of things:
  1. Verizon does not have the iPhone.
  2. if you know you are moving, I would not get into a cell phone contract. You will need to pay termination fees if you do and they have raised the fees for smart phones considerably.
  3. You can use Skype over WiFi as well as 3G now. They plan to start charging a nominal fee for access over 3G in August though. I wrote a blog post about this at http://www.discoverbuenosaires.com/skype-iphone-supports-3g-calling

You will need to buy pre-paid service in Buenos Aires if you do not have a DNI and residency.

elhombresinnombre said:
I don't own an iPhone and what's more I'm a technological luddite but I thought the issue was not that the phone can't be used away from a wi-fi network but that the data charges for doing so are cripplingly expensive. BICBW

dennisr said:
Skype/Iphone:: Data plan required, deep pockets required. Remember, the brain trust in Cupertino is staying awake night and day to relieve you of your cash.

Data from Movistar pre-paid is not that bad:

Send “Datos” to 2345 to receive 1 GB of data to use over 2 days – $9

You just have to remember to keep doing that.

Back