Is anyone else a mistreated English teacher?

mybeautifulair

Registered
I've been teaching English for a few months now, and I have to say - it really sucks some days! Always running around from location to location, last minute cancellations, institutes underpaying you... I work tons and make no money. Does anyone else teach English and hate it? Or even better, did anyone USED to teach English and got a real job? I'd love some advice on how to overcome my current job situation....

I can see the responses now. This is going to be good.........:). I've always wondered, why is there no "Vent your frustrations" section like in other expat boards?

Mybeautifulair: That sounds awful, specially the last minute cancellations. The trick is to charge by the month, in advance. If students cancel with enough notice, try to work them into your schedule - if not, they lose that class.

Are you a qualified teacher, or do you just speak English?

An old flatmate of mine had the same problem with last minute cancellations. Apparently, agencies do charge a student if they cancel at the last minute - my friend had an agreement with her agencies that if I student gave a certain amount of notice, she would reschedule the class...if the student cancelled at the last minute, she could reschedule if she wanted/was able...but would get paid anyway if not. You should definitely talk to them because chances are the agencies ARE getting paid anyway...and are probably making more money if the student cancels and they don't have to pay you. If they're private students, you should charge for a certain amount of lessons per week or per month - with rescheduling at your discretion if they give you short notice. If you explain to them that last minute cancellations lose you money (as it's time you could be spending teaching someone else) I'm sure they'll understand.

SaraSara said:
Mybeautifulair: That sounds awful, specially the last minute cancellations. The trick is to charge by the month, in advance. If students cancel with enough notice, try to work them into your schedule - if not, they lose that class.

Are you a qualified teacher, or do you just speak English?

Honestly, that's just the nature of teaching English here -- it's a burn-out job. The market is glutted by young, aimless Americans who come to BA and think "I'll just teach English for some cash," without realizing how much work it really is. Add to that a devalued currency unable to pay teachers enough to retain good ones, exploitative institutes, and a culture in which everyone *wants* to learn English, but many are limited by time and financial constraints. I teach English here and enjoy it, but only because I'm in a TESOL master's program back in the States, and need some "overseas experience" for my resume. I don't depend on the money and will use the experience to look for jobs in other countries, where English teachers are paid good salaries w/ benefits, provided free housing, and treated better. If I had to rely on teaching to make ends meet, or commit long-term, I'd absolutely be out of here.

There is no doubt in my mind that institutes are teacher pimps and nothing more. The ones that I have had the misfortune of working for (I guess it´s better not to name names on a public forum) are more concerned with making money as opposed to if their students are learning or not. The hours are long/erratic/stressful, and the pay is downright insulting.

After spending far too long working for various ones (leaving me burnt out, over-worked and even more underpaid), I am currently teaching on my own. As someone who formally studied education, it´s a much better route to take, because I know what I´m doing and I´m not restricted to a ridiculous, out of touch textbook with no real relevance that I am compelled to use. It´s a struggle at (most) times, but I prefer it 1,000 times more than being used and abused by an institute...

I agree though, that it is far better to charge up front in the event (and perhaps offer a bit of incentive by taking a few pesos off the final price) that if student decides to cancel at the last moment, because there is no way to enforce a cancellation policy otherwise, and you quickly go mad with flaky students.

Another problem is the hordes of English speakers without teaching qualifications who arrive in BA thinking they'll make a living as teachers. They are forced to take whatever those Institutes pay them, and rates go down for everyone.

Ditto on all the above! We should share the truth and warn other starry eyed would be teachers to BA.

I have added this discussion to my blog (hope you don't mind? I can remove if you prefer) that whines about my personal experience and frustration. http://2sporks1cup.com/?p=824

Good luck with making it work in the meantime!

I am personally waiting out my BA lease and looking for work outside the city, rural options and other countries. I have friends from my TESOL course I completed in Brisbane that have found good and enjoyable jobs in other countries.

All the best
Kris

SaraSara said:
Another problem is the hordes of English speakers without teaching qualifications who arrive in BA thinking they'll make a living as teachers. They are forced to take whatever those Institutes pay them, and rates go down for everyone.

Blame it in part on the marketing... have you seen the ads by some of these local TEFL institutes, acting like teaching English is as easy as a part-time summer job in an ice-cream parlor? "Want to spend more than just a few weeks abroad? Working as an English teacher is a great way to finance a trip overseas and to really become a part of the local community..." What they fail to mention is that you get to spend about, what, $4000 USD for a "guaranteed job" paying 25-30 pesos an hour, not including the hours of class-preparation time, and my guess is that the quality of the teacher-education program is not that great. For about the same total price of the month-long TEFL course, my 36-credit TESOL M.A. program encompasses classes in sociolinguistics, language-acquisition research, grammar, pedagogy, and the realities of job-searching/teaching abroad, plus a required internship. I believe real graduate programs produce teachers that are much more qualified, but unfortunately, they are recruited for $55K/yr jobs in Asia and the US, and won't teach for long in a place like Buenos Aires, which, as you mentioned, caters to the vacationing, unqualified institute-slaves.

High Five starlucia - feeling the rage against the institutes. Advertising has definitely helped sugar the reality of teaching in general, particularly BA. I have to say, lack of information being available about the 'truth' of the situation doesn't make it easier for job seekers. Hoping we can spread the word.

Back