Is anyone else a mistreated English teacher?

Hi, sad to see the terrible experiences people seem to be having - but I wanted to say that it's not like that for everyone. I think the key is to find a really good agency/institute. I'm teaching with one and absolutely love it - they care about me and the students, and pay 35 pesos an hour (as I have TEFL and experience).

I still get paid if classes are cancelled with less than 24 hours notice, and pay is always in full and on time. I work about 21 hours per week, with Friday, Saturday and Sunday off, and I make more than three times my rent (which is in gringo prices).

This gives me lots of free time, and lets me eat out, get massages, have a personal trainer, get my hair done, and go shopping every so often. I've taught English in China, Africa, France and the UK and have never had the kind of lifestyle I have here.

It took me a few months to build up the schedule, and luckily I know what I'm doing, so have very little prep to do - but for anyone serious about teaching - you can do more than just survive!

I've been teaching English here for a couple of months and so far I like it. I definitely am underpaid, but I'm working on getting more private students and hopefully that will help. As for the cancelled classes, if a student cancels with less than 24 hours notice, they are charged anyway (and the teacher is paid anyway). This is standard practice at all 3 schools I work for. To be perfectly honest, I'm usually pretty happy when I get a last minute cancellation.

As for those advertisements where you pay some crazy amount of money to get certified, after being promised the experience of a lifetime ... that's obviously a scam. I paid about $200 for an online TEFL course and no one here has ever even asked to see my certificate.

Anyway, I don't feel abused or mistreated ... I just wish I made more money ;)

Back