Is Argentina a safe country for tourists?

In general yes it is pretty safe.

There is crime but mostly it is non-violent. This french tourist thing is pretty shocking though.

steveinbsas said:
The same can be asked about the USA, especially Miami.

This occurred in April of 2011:

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/04/murder_of_two_british_men_in_s.php

And 1993 was a very bad year for foreign tourists in Miami:

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/11/w...urders-in-miami-terrify-foreign-visitors.html

But of course where do most of these criminals in Miami come from, mostly a lot of places in Latin America including Argentina. In Argentina you can get the homegrown version direct not some second-hand watered-down American vesion.

I wouldn't worry......being French is actually illegal in over 20 countries. I think the rest of us are fine.

Philsword said:
But of course where do most of these criminals in Miami come from, mostly a lot of places in Latin America including Argentina. In Argentina you can get the homegrown version direct not some second-hand watered-down American vesion.

This brings to mind an important distinction between the USA and Argentina (if not all of Latin America):

With the most notable exceptions of some areas of Miami, L.A. NYC, and most big cities in the USA, there are relatively few homes or businesses with bars on the windows or anti-robo "curtains" or shutters that must be closed at night (like mine in Argentina).

Most businesses and even most motel rooms in America (including those on the ground floor) have unprotected plate glass windows (though alarm systems in business and homes are common).

I have meet quite a few tourist who have been the victims of violet crime here, mostly robbings at gun or knife point.. The interesting thing is that in south africa its spose to be dangerous, where here it isnt so much, but i didnt hear of nearly as many in south africa..
And when i mean hear of, i mean first hand, as in people i have meet in hostels/hotels or travelling around. This was especially true when i first came to BSAS and was staying in a hostel while looking for an apartment, almost daily backpackers were turning up and having to stay in BSAS to replace passports / air tickets / ATM cards etc.. and often they had been travelling around south america, without incident, and argentina was their last stop and they couldnt wait to get out of the place.

The other interesting thing is that argentine friends have told me often before i took trips to bolivia, peru, brazil, chile etc to be very careful, as crime is rampent there and police corrupt etc.. but the only problems i have had have been in argentina - not voilet - people trying to steel my bags at bus station / passport pickpocketed..

I also wonder if this is because people maybe let their guard down in argentina because of the preception it is safer..

I wouldn't take the subte (subway) or eat at a "Subway", but that's another topic). They're pickpocket paradises. Buenos Aires is much safer than ANY city or town in northern Mexico, at the U.S. border. I think.

Back