Is Argentina a safe country for tourists?

Philsword said:
But of course where do most of these criminals in Miami come from, mostly a lot of places in Latin America including Argentina. In Argentina you can get the homegrown version direct not some second-hand watered-down American vesion.

Racist .

steveinbsas said:
And that makes Argentina (especially BA) a more dangerous place for everybody, including foreign tourists.
And yet BA didn't make the top 10 "most dangerous cities" for 2011, but 2 US cities did:

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/06/09/worlds-most-dangerous-cities-video/

Nor 2010, but same 2 US cities: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/04/10/dangerous.cities.world/index.html

Go figure.

(ie. ANY major city can be dangerous if you don't have your wits about you and/or go to the wrong area of town)

va2ba said:
The only time I think taking the subway or the bus presents a problem is when it is late at night. One night my wife and were riding the 15 at like 2 am and the bus had 6 or 7 people so it wasn't empty. We over heard the guy next to us on the phone saying that he had two tourists on the bus next to him and that he would tell them when we got off so they could find us. We hurried and got off the bus at the next stop.You just have to keep your guard up.

That is some scary shit... Especially when not familiar with the Spanish language you're an easy prey...

I agree that a completely inadequate police force is a major factor in the high crime rate in BA. Add to that the permissive attitude of the current government that considers any use of force as "repression" and you have a volatile situation. The general attitude of Porteños seems to be that the police are corrupt and incompetent and can not be called on in times of crisis, so you are on your own. Yes, locking shop doors is a low cost security system. True. In my original post I just stated that it was unsettling to have to ring a bell to be admitted and I mentioned that this was true in upscale areas like Recoleta but I see it elsewhere too. I have only once been in Sydney and never saw any shops locked but my visit may have been too limited and maybe there are locked shops all over the place. I was there some years ago. Can't say. As for Manhattan, I have never seen this in my entire lifetime. If it exists, it is a surprise to me. I should add too that this locked door practice is based on profiling. If the shopkeeper does not like the color of your skin or the way you are dressed, you are not admitted.

chris said:
I should add too that this locked door practice is based on profiling. If the shopkeeper does not like the color of your skin or the way you are dressed, you are not admitted.

Of course, but its main function is to deter opportunist robberies.

xibeca said:

Sorry not, just a statement of fact. Miami has one of the highest crime rates in the U.S., 2/3 of the population is Hispanic.

Philsword said:
Sorry not, just a statement of fact. Miami has one of the highest crime rates in the U.S., 2/3 of the population is Hispanic.

And you connect those facts: 2/3 of the population is Hispanic plus highest crime rates... and conclude that most of criminals are from Latin America. That connection should be proved. I'm not saying it's false, I'm just saying I wouldn't reach that conclusion so easily. But in any case, you also said that a lot of the criminals are from Argentina. I doubt it since:
1. Out of the total Latino population of Miami, Argentines are a very small minority.
2. Most Argentines in Miami come from the middle classes (though since the 2001 crisis many lower class immigrants arrived in Miami, sure).

Argentina is safer than the USA for violent crime and more dangerous for petty crime . The amount of people who go missing each year in the USA is amongst the worlds highest and many of these are murder victims unaccounted for .

Argentina is a very safe country for tourists .

I watched Scarface last night. It would make one think many of the criminals in Miami are from Cuba.

Santiago F said:
And you connect those facts: 2/3 of the population is Hispanic plus highest crime rates... and conclude that most of criminals are from Latin America. That connection should be proved. I'm not saying it's false, I'm just saying I wouldn't reach that conclusion so easily. But in any case, you also said that a lot of the criminals are from Argentina. I doubt it since:
1. Out of the total Latino population of Miami, Argentines are a very small minority.
2. Most Argentines in Miami come from the middle classes (though since the 2001 crisis many lower class immigrants arrived in Miami, sure).

Didn't say a lot were from Argentina, said some were. If 2/3 of the population is Hispanic(look it up) and I assumed they were from various countries in Latin American, still a good assumption I think. Since most of the population is Hispanic its safe assume that most of the crime is also perpetrated by the Hispanic population, is it proportional to the total population, 80%, 60%, I don't know but I'm sure its over 50% which still equals most.

Back