Is Argentina a safe country for tourists?

deeve007 said:
...which is nerve racking, but doesn't involve losing anything not replaceable.
I am afraid you underestimate the psychological crisis many experience after a robbery, for some a life long trauma.

Compare with e.g. rape - nothing irreplaceable lost, right?

I wouldn't say rape constitutes nothing lost. Are you really going to compare that to a mugging or similar?

And I've been robbed: mugged in Kenya by 6 guys physically picking me up off the ground, one with his arm around my neck, a piece of wood strapped to his arm to cut of my wind pipe so that I ended up passing out for a few minutes from oxygen being cut off. Result for me was one of the best pieces of writing I've done: http://nakedchronicles.com/intokenya/2006/05/ive-joined-the-mugged-club.php

But compared to how much I've seen, and how many places I've been fortunate enough to visit in my travels over the years, I certainly wouldn't regard the world generally as dangerous as many (including many government travel advisory messages) would have one believe, not even close.

Like I said, glass half full or half empty, up to you. For me it's half full, always.

I don't think he was comparing a raping to a mugging....

Of course one is way worse than the other (and John.St is usually a voice of reason) (so are you, devee007).

That's cool, not always easy to convey full tone/meaning on written posts. I always stand to be corrected/informed. ;)

John.St said:
Every country in the world is dangerous.

The least dangerous country is Malta, because in Malta you are bored to death before you have a chance to become victim of a crime.

You could choose to stay in your home - but then, the majority of fatal accidents happen in people's home.

The only way to stay safe from crime is to commit suicide (not applicable in countries where suicide is a crime).

Get over it. The world just isn't as nice as it ought to be.

wasn't there a story from the US this week that a guy was threatening to jump off a bridge, so the police shot him. I exploded with the irony of that.

deeve007 said:
I wouldn't say rape constitutes nothing lost. Are you really going to compare that to a mugging or similar?
No, I am certainly not comparing the two.

I mentioned (e.g.) rape as an example of 'loosing something irreplaceable' is too narrow a definition of what is really traumatic for the victim.

deeve007 said:
But compared to how much I've seen, and how many places I've been fortunate enough to visit in my travels over the years, I certainly wouldn't regard the world generally as dangerous as many (including many government travel advisory messages) would have one believe, not even close.
Ah, but that's something else. The USGov travel advice is ridiculous and reflects their risk of being sued by shyster lawyers, not the risk of travelling - I use the British FCO (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/), which is much more balanced.

I have been working in/travelling to some 25 countries world wide and have been attacked only twice (nothing lost except some little time giving the assailants a free practical course in close combat techniques). I agree that the world in general isn't dangerous, not even unpleasant, if you are a little alert and street smart - but too many aren't (e.g. keeping money and passport in a backpack :eek:).

Rape does cost something irreplaceable. You can't "undo" the forced sex.

I have been working in/travelling to some 25 countries world wide and have been attacked only twice...
Wouldn't that reinforce my point?

I honestly can't see comparing Manhattan to Recoleta for shops locking their doors. I was a resident of New York State (not NYC) for over 10 years and spent time in Manhattan. One needs to take into account the strong police force, and thousands of video surveillance cameras. Each year the city, state, and federal government invest a large sum of money to keep it safe.

That could change with the state of the economy and politics in the US. Maybe in 15-20 years small upscale shops in Manhattan will start locking their doors as large budget cuts are made. Manhattan wasn't always as safe as it is today.

I think the "shops locking doors" thing is a bit of a distraction. Are you really going to say that it's more dangerous (or that you feel more unsafe) in Recoleta at 4am than in Manhatten at 4am, say around Times Square? Sorry, but I felt far more vulnerable in the Times Square area at that time of morning. Can't say for sure what the robbery/mugging figures were, but I'd be surprised if they weren't similar at the very least.

In relation to the French press saying Argentina is dangerous, I can honestly say that after a year and a half here, I have never felt unsafe.

I also want to point out, as a British girl who lived in the south of France for 4 years before coming here to BsAs, I felt unsafe all the time in Montpellier because of the constant aggression of the French Arabs who relentlessly chase women, and shout insults as well as have no qualms about grabbing them if they want! This happened to me in Montpellier twice as well as various scares I had in Nice! and it was also in city centre in day light! I would never recommend any woman to live in Montpellier if you want to go out on your own and walk safely. However, I would recommend to any women to live here!

So, as far as I'm concerned, if you are sensible about where you go and what you do and how you behave etc, you should be ok here, like in any city in the world!

Back