Is Argentina Doomed?

Rad

Registered
What do you think?
http://www.internationalman.com/expat/argentina-is-still-doomed/
I’m convinced that Argentina is going to experience another revolution, and this will affect mostly Buenos Aires province. Their economy will likely continue to deteriorate, and I doubt Cristina has the capacity to survive. Unlike Honduras where the present coup is political in nature, Argentina’s will be economic and likely result in substantial instability in Buenos Aires… remember, these are the people who set the trains on fire last year because they weren’t running on time.

excellent web site. Thanks for the link. I would encourage others to post on the topic in a substantive manner.

I think that Argentina because there is 30 to 50% less of production of soja, weat and corn that Argentina will run into a huge financing problem somewhere early 2010.

and how will these apparent economic challenges affect the people in Argentina and expats?

Applying my experience in other South American countries, I would not that the rich are very very very rich, and thus are likely to be insulated. The masses - would be further challenged (sad, because there burden is already heavy).

also, a people and or country is doomed as a result of its individual and collective character. A picture is starting to emerge to me, as a result of my research, that the Argentinian populous are with a sense of entitlement and privileged. There is little "dig you well before you are thirsty."

But, in the modern economy, education plays an increasingly important role. What is the general education level in Argentina?

Well, I disagree completely and actually feel this is the perfect time to invest in Argentina. I have a finance background and all I can say is there are always opposite points of view and that is what makes markets. Time will tell.

rivardco said:
also, a people and or country is doomed as a result of its individual and collective character. A picture is starting to emerge to me, as a result of my research, that the Argentinian populous are with a sense of entitlement and privileged. There is little "dig you well before you are thirsty."

But, in the modern economy, education plays an increasingly important role. What is the general education level in Argentina?

80% decent to good, 20% worthless(for the labour market)

EMR said:
Well, I disagree completely and actually feel this is the perfect time to invest in Argentina. I have a finance background and all I can say is there are always opposite points of view and that is what makes markets. Time will tell.

Can you also say why you think so?

rivardco said:
and how will these apparent economic challenges affect the people in Argentina and expats?

Applying my experience in other South American countries, I would not that the rich are very very very rich, and thus are likely to be insulated. The masses - would be further challenged (sad, because there burden is already heavy).

It all depends on how bad the global crisis will be. Untill now Argentina does not suffer from mass lay-offs but with declining spending-power across the board.

Most expats besides from the ones who can't leave(home, kid, family, wife/husband) will leave.

I went to the Web site and had two comments:

1) His article seemed short on real data and long on flighty opinion. That is to say, he may be right or wrong, I don't know, but he certainly didn't do much to make his case.

2) Shouldn't his site be called International Man...of Mystery?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Iznogud Expat Life 10