Is Argentina Headed Out of the G-20?

Chile, Perú or Colombia should be added. There needs to be south American represtation other then Brasil and they deserve it.

Told this my GF already before this news came out

ElQueso said:
Kicking Argentina out of the G-20 doesn't need to be looked at as a punishment, but rather a result. Keeping them in, to me, is being an enabler.

ElQueso said:
If it were to have an impact on the people, well, maybe it would light a fire under the peoples' ass? After all, who allows this continue within their own country? The people themselves..

I agree 100%. us argies should be punished, this way we should in theory learn how to vote next time. As long as this authoritarian regime gets supported by the rest of the world because of pity or political correctness towards Latin America they are indeed insuring these types of governments florish and remain and in the end, the ones getting the short end of the stick is always the people ! They want to help the people...punish (econonmically or politically that is of course) these non-democratic leaders

jazrgz said:
I agree 100%. us argies should be punished, this way we should in theory learn how to vote next time. As long as this authoritarian regime gets supported by the rest of the world because of pity or political correctness towards Latin America they are indeed insuring these types of governments florish and remain and in the end, the ones getting the short end of the stick is always the people ! They want to help the people...punish (econonmically or politically that is of course) these non-democratic leaders

They really didn't vote K, Nestor lost the first round and it was a time that people were basically fed up with old politics and wanting to return to Menem.

Back they could have known they were voting for someone who was not interested in institutions and only interested in power.

Some more history

2005: Cristina won against Hilde Duhalde(new politics vs old politics)
2007: Cristina won with no popular vote but because only 40% is needed to win(or around 30% of the votes)
2009: Nestor lost against Francisco de Narvaez
2011: Cristina won by popular vote

My guess she will win big in 2013 and then go for re-re-re elections. But people who followed things in the 90's in Santa Cruz already knew that was about to happen.

The idea of expelling Argentina from the G20 is just a sign of political naivete. Neither the US or the BRIC countries are behind the idea. This alignment already tells you a lot about current re-structurations in the world system. One post points that Poland's economic performance outpaces that of Argentina. But economic performances are not signs of strength. Strength is measured along four or five variables: independence in the area of energy production, independence in the area of food production and raw materials, independence in the area of industrial reproduction, a large, not aged working population and financial independence. From this point of view, the relationship between Poland and Argentina (or 90 per cent of European countries and Argentina) is reversed.

Europe is structurally weak. The only structural weak point of Argentina -financial dependence- is no longer the handicap that it used to be due to the combination of large local reserves and the emergence of China as a global lender (which makes the IMF superfluous for many emergent economies)

i can understand (although without sharing) the moral outrage at the break of international agreements (not laws). But morality does not move the world. Just the blogs. best Bepo

solerboy said:
I think Argentina should be expelled not because of their behavoir, but simply because they are not a credible force in the global economy.

I repeat a recent post: Argentina economic output does not compare to other countries like Poland. However, you can take Poland out of the map and the actual economy will not take notice. If you take Argentina out of the map, the consequences are vast for everybody. Why? Neither Poland, or Chile or other good economic performers can claim -as Argentina can- to have an enormous impact in the production of strategic non-transferable goods and raw materials. Argentina ranks between 4 and 6 in 8 of the 12 "strategic commodities" listed in the CIA book of facts. There are are only five countries in the world that surpass Argentina in this respect. In the new world configuration (in a world in which the emergence of China has given new leverage to producers of food and raw materials) the non-transferable riches are going to play an enormous role.

bepo said:
I repeat a recent post: Argentina economic output does not compare to other countries like Poland. However, you can take Poland out of the map and the actual economy will not take notice. If you take Argentina out of the map, the consequences are vast for everybody. Why? Neither Poland, or Chile or other good economic performers can claim -as Argentina can- to have an enormous impact in the production of strategic non-transferable goods and raw materials. Argentina ranks between 4 and 6 in 8 of the 12 "strategic commodities" listed in the CIA book of facts. There are are only five countries in the world that surpass Argentina in this respect. In the new world configuration (in a world in which the emergence of China has given new leverage to producers of food and raw materials) the non-transferable riches are going to play an enormous role.

Finally someone says something smart in this thread. Most of the people do not even know what the G20 does (or should be doing).

el_expatriado said:
Argentina is not a serious player on the world stage. Their only interest in foreign policy comes from their domestic political necessities. For this reason alone they should be expelled. They have no serious interest in international issues beyond their own limited domestic considerations.

You seem to know little about the role played by Argentina since the early 1980s in the propagation of democracy in Latin America. In that respect it has done way more like say the US.

expatinowncountry said:
You seem to know little about the role played by Argentina since the early 1980s in the propagation of democracy in Latin America. In that respect it has done way more like say the US.

I was referring to this current administration, which has no interest in international concerns.

el_expatriado said:
I was referring to this current administration, which has no interest in international concerns.

If you were referring to the presidency of CFK, then I agree with you. Even Kirchner did much more than his wife.

Argentina has become an economic backwater and will remain so as long as they have governments like the current one. At one time Argentina had the largest economy in South America, its in either 2nd or 3rd place now with more countries poised to overtake it. It still has the potential but when that potential will ever be realized is the eternal question.

Back