Is BsAs over rated?

robwerwe

Registered
Before I came here I heard so much about this place. Everyone told me how creative it was and how they were partying so much here.

To me most bars feel like a Tuesday night in London. Kinda half full with not much atmosphere. Everywhere feels really commercial too. Boring dance music or 'rock nacional'.

Perhaps the alternative scene is so far underground its almost impossible to get into.

On top of that the slightly more alternative nights I have found only really get started at 3am! Its almost impossible if you have a proper job here and are not studying or teaching English.

that is the problem, there is a great night life but only for young people, there is no way i can wait till 3am to go to a bar or go clubing, im wrecked the next day and if i have to work its just impossible

robwerwe said:
Before I came here I heard so much about this place. Everyone told me how creative it was and how they were partying so much here.

Congrats.. you are officially 10 years behind the times.

BA was freaking incredible in 2002 until 2006. In 2012 not so much so.

You are pathetic. You ugly british HIPSTER freak. You are more behind the times than saddam, and hes dead/

Die hipster. If u set foot in BS AS i will have u fucked up by dominicans.

You're either going to the right places at the wrong times, or vice verce.

Most clubs DO get going at 3 AM (or after). There are definitely places that are hot certain nights of the week, and if you go on another night, not as hot. Anything before 3 AM is the previa, ie having drinks with friends. Things have also calmed down a bit after summer madness.

Keep looking I guess... there's a little something for everyone. Inflation is nuts, imports all but halted, politics are insane, safety is iffy, and a host of other problems. But fun nights out? The one thing Buenos Aires is not lacking.

I love to go out and for me the inflation, especially noticed at most of these BARS/BOLICHES that are cash only and you see a few hundred pesos easily disappear by the end of a night or just after a few rounds, has turned me off from going out as much. In some cases you are paying more for TRAGOS made with national (mouthwash) spirits than you would in the US/Europe for a Trago made with a more premium spirit.

But yes, also the piece de resistance of the nightlife here also starts quite late, similar to Spain.

I don't live here,but I do my best Charlie Sheen impersionation here. Besides the inflation you can live like a rock star if you have a network. Building my network took a few years. Learning the ins and outs takes time or a well connected friends. I vacation a few times a year here.

Take a nap after dinner, wake up at 2am and then go out.

When I was 20 I partied all night, put everyone's drinks on my tab, and brushed my teeth on the way to work the next day.
When I was 30 I partied until 3am, bought rounds for my friends, got 4 hours' sleep, and tried to look awake at work the next day.
When I was 40 I partied until Mid-night, triple-checked the tab, wobbled home, and called in sick the next day.
Now that I'm past 45 I think about partying all night, wish I still had all the money I blew when I was younger, and am fast asleep before most Argentines have finished supper. :)

Its not just the boliches its the bars, the galleries, the cafes. There just doesn't seem to be any onda here.

I feel a bit lost for places to hang out on a Friday night after work that have something different, i.e. not Plastic Palermo or seedy Reconquista. San Telmo feels pretty dead too.

You read Time Out and everywhere sounds amazing, you get there and its just a boring bar with a pool table (puerta roja)

I really want to be proven wrong but I'm running out of new places to try.

When I was 40 I lost everything I had, including six apartments and a BMW.

It didn't have anything to do with drinking, but I quit that too for financial reasons.

I never had a real job and still don't.

Soon I will be 62 and have recovererd financially because I don't party and only drink at home.

(The closest bars and restaurants are ten minutes from my house and I never drink and drive.)

I used to feel your pain mate, but no longer.
My problem was always trying to find the prettiest girl with whom to smooch when 10CC came on the turntable.

Back