Is BsAs that dangerous??

fred mertz said:
Have you considered studying Spanish in Spain? Barcelona is probably the most beautiful city in Europe or even the world. They speak REAL Spanish (and Catalan, but that's another story) There are many schools and individuals to teach you. Probably much safer than BA. Madrid and Valencia are other good choices. Spain is also closer to Poland.

Castilian in Barcelona? I have plenty of friends from Barcelona and sometimes they really struggle to find the correct word to use in Castilian, simply because they are not used to speak it, but I have to admit that I like Barcelona a lot, maybe even more than Madrid! To be honest with you I am not even sure anymore which one the real Castilian is, as I do speak the one from Spain, which seems to be pretty useless here :)

MikeandPat said:
The subway comes to a halt in front of you. The door opens and...you manage to get on before the doors close. As the train pulls away you realize that your "front jeans pocket" ....YES ! THE FRONT JEANS POCKET !! was picked...

...Some weeks ago I was going through the Subte turnstile and put the ride card in my wallet after going through. Wallet went into my back pants pocket. By the time I got on the train the wallet was gone. No idea how or when ... it just wasn't there.

Could you please tell us on which line and at which stations these incidents occured?

I think the person that told you this either hasn't been here for a while or is still thinking of how Buenos Aires was during the troubles at the beginning of the 2000's. Kidnappings at that time were common place, now they are very rare and only happen to very wealthy business men. That said, street crime is a part of life here but it is rarely violent when it is directed at foreigners. It is much more likely that you could be pick pocketed on the underground than have a gun pointed at you. Like in any big city you should be aware of your surroundings and act accordingly but most deifnately it should not stop you from coming to what is a wonderful city.

That unfortunatley is a fairly common 'new' scam on the underground. I work in the tourism industry and in the last 6 months it has been a reoccuring theme. The other scam seeming to be doing the rounds is the 'bird poo' scam. Someone spray you from a distance with a whitey brown liquid and then comes running over to 'help' you clean yourself up, whilst at the same time helping themselves to your valuables. If you ever get anything drop on you or sprayed on you then just keep walking, don't accept and help and when you are sure you are alone you can assess the situation and get your self clean - wallet intact!

Aconcagua said:
Any red flags here? http://www.tn.com.ar/politica/13009...-destinado-al-viaje-de-cristina-medio-oriente

If they can steal from the President of the country, is anybody safe?

What a ridiculous joke!! In what country in the world does the president take an official international trip and carries cash or pays the airlines / hotels in cash. What a circus country Argentina has become.......In ring one Clown Macri playing with the elefants, in ring two the lovely Cristina in a gold tiara riding a unicylce in ring three the world famous "motochorros" doing wheelys and stunts on their motorcycles. Ha Ha

Guess she's not going on that trip now.......NOT.......they can just break into some other safe deposit boxes and use somebody elses money!!

MikeandPat said:
The subway comes to a halt in front of you. The door opens and there is a crowd disgorging itself from the train. You hold back waiting for those to get off before you get on. There is a lull in the crowd and you start to board the train .... but there is a group of 2-3 rather heavy set men trying to get off. They push and shove and finally leave the train while you manage to get on before the doors close. As the train pulls away you realize that your "front jeans pocket" ....YES ! THE FRONT JEANS POCKET !! was picked. All they got was a small but thick package of Kleenex my friend had in his pocket. And they were able to pick out the bulge.

NO FKN WAY! were they all older men? Those fuckers got me this time last year on the D line near the Fac d Med stop. I even had my hand on my front pocket. One man shoved me so I had to reach up to the ceiling to stabilize myself and another grabbed my wallet, while a 3rd accused someone else of doing it.

PhilipDT said:
NO FKN WAY! were they all older men? Those fuckers got me this time last year on the D line near the Fac d Med stop. I even had my hand on my front pocket. One man shoved me so I had to reach up to the ceiling to stabilize myself and another grabbed my wallet, while a 3rd accused someone else of doing it.
Never ever carry a wallet.
Never ever carry carry passport or values in a backpack.
Never ever use your cell phone on a sidewalk close to the car lane.

Never ever ...

Be street smart.

Back