Is BsAs that dangerous??

HotYogaTeacher said:
We have a lovely apartment for sale in Congreso. I love this neighborhood. Lots of well stocked grocery stores. I have my own Chinese food store just two blocks away so I don't have to go to Barrio Chino when I need things. It's Old Japan Town, so lots of great Japanese restaurants. It's WAY cheaper than shopping in Palermo or Recoleta and the restaurants are cheaper too. It's central. The neighbors (who love us and think of us, I think, almost like pets (our little americans);)~ are regular upper middle class people who have nice kids and are clean and responsible and educated and friendly. We love living out of the tourist ghettos. We're not tourists, we live here, we own a home, so like it or not we feel that we have gotten a deeper and more enriching cultural experience here than in one of those neighborhoods.
We're right on the A line, the best line with the old cars (heart) so stop by and see us. Jimmy's newest work is always on the walls and I teach yoga here at noon and 4 Monday through Friday.
If you know someone who's looking for a place outside the ghettos, check it out...

What the hell has this got to do with the topic ? And your place is out of the ghettos in Once . Your the one who believes that Belgrano, Palermo, and Barrio Norte are where only tourists live and that we do not live the real experience like you do surrounded by casas tomadas, cheap bakeries and cheap bars.

You woman are nuts:D

cabrera said:
What the hell has this got to do with the topic ? And your place is out of the ghettos in Once . Your the one who believes that Belgrano, Palermo, and Barrio Norte are where only tourists live and that we do not live the real experience like you do surrounded by casas tomadas, cheap bakeries and cheap bars.

You woman are nuts:D
And who is Jimmy. Does he paint by numbers?

A lot of people feel that Buenos Aires is safer than say Los Angeles or London. But I'm not so sure there's such a high risk of getting robbed or raped or walking down Rodeo Drive as walking down Alvear in Recoleta. Think about it. Last year I went on vacation to Los Angeles and never felt safer walking through Beverly Hills and Malibu. Obviously one should stay out of South Central L.A., but the difference between cities like L.A. and London is that the violent crimes that happen on a daily basis in broad daylight in posh areas like Recoleta or Palermo Soho don't happen as often as in Beverly Hills.

Happens on a daily basis in london.
Beverley hills less so, but perhaps thats more to do with the fact that people spend a lot more time in their cars, and population density is much lower.

Hi! We are doing pretty similar things! I am moving to BsAs in Jan 2011 to study Spanish at UBA! BsAs is great - there are a few little things to be wary of, but honestly, I felt very safe here. I lived in BsAs for three months over Christmas and then 6 weeks over June this year. I got the subte, bus and train on my own 9and at night!), I used atms on my own, got taxis during the day and night on my own – pretty much lived my life the way I would in Sydney. I am an Australian, 23yr old blonde… I stand out like a sore thumb! The most trouble I ever really had was unwanted attention from men, taxis drivers taking you the super long way,

1. Most important - use your common sense and intuition. Would you walk down the street at home, alone, in a dark alley? No.
2. I got hassled by boys in bars/clubs - I started wearing a fake wedding ring and it did the trick (go to Isadora, there is one close by Plaza Serrano, in fact everywhere - cheap chain accessories shop, otherwise there are tonnes of shops on Av Florida) and learn "soy casada" (I am married). Keep in mind.. a dance is not just a dance!
3. Keep your bag close to your chest on the subte if standing, and loop it around your hand if sitting. When little kids and other needy people give you things that they are selling on the subte, do not feel obliged to purchase them, if you do want to purchase something – try not to get your wallet out. I always carry a handful of change in a pocket or easy access zip on my bag for these situations. I was with my boyfriend and we were talking in English on the subte, a man next to him was very sneaky and tried to put his hand in my boyfriend’s pocket – he was caught and my boyfriend was very angry and started to yell in spanish – the man got scared, whistled, then three separate men got off the subte and met on the platform – they were a group of thieves working together – sometimes just speaking English can make you an easy target!
4. There are certain Subte stations to be extremely mindful of, especially at night. My boyfriend (who is Argentine) said never to travel to Consitution after dark on my own. You can pick up a Ciudad guide at uni - it shows you all the subte stations and bus routes, if you have an Arg friend, ask if they think there would be any places in particular. I did not like walking around the oblisko at night on my own, but that was just me.
5. A friend once said to never forget "Everyone in South America is trying to take you on a ride. Sometimes you just have to get ridden - always keep your wits about you" haha I think this is pretty funny honestly - sure, there may be some people who do this, but don't think that everyone is a criminal, or you will never stop looking over your shoulder and will not be able to relax and enjoy one of teh best countries in the world!
6. Retiro – if you plan to do any regional travel in Arg, if you get a bus you will most probably leave from Retiro terminal. It’s big, its busy, its hot – perfect place to get things stolen – always keep your eyes open, NEVER leave bags unattended, ALWAYS use a lock on your bag, as soon as you get there go to the turist info centre and get a map of the place, it is easy to get lost and if you are running for a bus that wont wait for you, it is not ideal!
7. Carry small denom notes, taxi drivers don’t like the ARS100 notes because it uses their change and it also puts you at risk of receiving forged notes (I still have a ARS100 note that I cannot get rid of!). Go to a kiosko and swap it!
8. Parking mafia – pay them or you will get your car scratched or damaged, they are harmless.. but pay them! (if you happen to have a car while you are there!), and don’t be a complete tight wad – 1pesos is not enough.. aim for at least ARS5, and in the busier areas like las canitas (in the evening) you are looking at about ARS10 for parking!
9. Fake charity collectors – I had to pay ARS10 to get into the cemetery at Recoleta.. the first time I went, I didn’t have to pay… I got scammed, and I knew I was being scammed! I chose not to argue (I let myself get ridden haha!)

I hope you have an amazing time and come to love BsAs as much as I do – if you are still in BsAs in Jan 2011, perhaps I will see you at Uni – happy to meet up if you like! (I am at the Plaza Armenia campus in Palermo).

All the best!

and one more thing - do not limit yourself to the typical tourist areas (Palermo, San Telmo, Recoleta, Puerto Madero..) EXPLORE! I had the best empanadas of my life in Villa Devoto!

Well that sum-up pretty much all the great criminal underworld of petty crime in BA, katiiearmstrong lived only three months in BA and she knows many thinks that people living here for years did not master to know yet, which shows why Aussies are smarter people with a logic way of thinking than the (Anglo-North) Americans..:D

Katie post was excellent and better words could not said on how to manage yourself in Buenos Aires.

I also grew up in Sydney Australia and I can tell you there is a seedy and dangerous side that can suprise especially nightime when the agression of alcohol and drugs can show its ugly face.

Buenos Aires has become more dangerous in the last years that is a fact and it is because of dangerous drugs like Paco that have been promoted in our communities. Until this problem is addressed the crime will worsen unfortunately.

Take precautions and be safe.

katiiearmstrong said:

8. Parking mafia – pay them or you will get your car scratched or damaged, they are harmless.. but pay them! (if you happen to have a car while you are there!), and don’t be a complete tight wad – 1pesos is not enough.. aim for at least ARS5, and in the busier areas like las canitas (in the evening) you are looking at about ARS10 for parking!

Well, Lucas, she did pick up at least one Argentine attitude -- be hostage to the parking attendants.

Sorry Katie -- but are you effing kidding me? From the sounds of it you're paying these guys up front, that's ridiculous. Even if you are paying them after -- which is what you SHOULD do if you pay them at all -- YOU can decide how much to pay them -- you know why? Because they are effing ILLEGAL, they cannot set a rate for you. Give them whatever YOU want to and you give it to them after you've pulled out the car as you're driving by (ie you can drive over their toe if they fuck you off).

You do not need to pay these "parking attendants" 10 pesos, 5 pesos etc -- you give them some monedas and that's that.

If you have such a nice car that you're so bloody worried about it, then put it in a garage, not on the street.

The ONLY place where I can say you're not going to get away with monedas and that's it is at a futbol match -- and again, you'd be better off to take a taxi to nearish to the stadium and then walk, especially considering how far you end up having to park from River etc.

People who pay these drivers more than just monedas are cra-azy -- go park in a parking garage if you're going to start paying those rates, otherwise you're just making the problem worse.

For 10 pesos a car maybe I should be getting out my bloody trapito....

Back