Is buenos aires dangerous? Kidnappings & muggings: 2010 update

clooz said:
Only "you" the statistical entity would then have a higher probability... You the individual savvy expat who avoids the riskier crime areas and takes a taxi would have a different probability. I imagine that taxi-accident risk is distributed more evenly over barrios than street crime but dunno really.

It would be useful to have some insight into why some taxis drive like hell and others take their sweet time, so I could pick a safer one before flagging it down.

My intention was to point out that the conclusion in the post I quoted was not supported by the statistics that were provided:

muppditt said:
As far as petty crime goes- pickpocketing, mugging- yes, it is common enough. You lose some money or property and feel scared.

As far as a crime where you actually DIE in a city of 13 million:
-2 murders per day in public places (so not counting murders by people who know each other in their homes...the most common kind of murder)
vs
-22 deaths per day involving automobiles.
Hmm. 'Dangerous' is often more about how scared a person is, how he perceives and imagines situations.
Every other person says to not walk on the streets at night, take a taxi instead. When in fact you are more likely to die in the taxi in an accident than being a victim of a crime walking on the street.

steveinbsas said:
While the above statistics support the conclusion that you are 10 times more likely to die in an accident while riding in any type of vehicle than be murdered in a public place, we would need to know how many crimes are committed in the streets of BA to draw a conclusion regarding the ratio of deaths in car accidents to crimes in the streets.

If there are more than 22 "street crimes" in BA on a daily basis, you would be more likely to be a victim of a crime in the street than die in an accident while riding in a taxi (or any vehicle).

The poster drew a conclusion about the chances of being a victim of street crimes but only provided statics about being murdered or dying in car accidents.

The OP defined 'danger' in this case as 'kidnappings & muggings.' If we consider the former, then BsAs is not dangerous. For the latter, then yes.

So perhaps there is a difference of opinion in what danger is.
To me, a real threat to life and limb are what makes a place dangerous.

My point is that the 'dangerous events' that people are afraid of (street crimes such as muggings, and perhaps being beat up or killed in an attempted mugging) are far less likely to happen to you and cause you harm than seemingly innocuous activities such as getting into a car. Yes, getting mugged certainly is scary and sucks, you will feel violated and your stuff will get stolen. If you are unlucky, you might get punched or get a wedgie. :D
Still, it is very unlikely that you will be seriously harmed.
The majority of people (natives and expats alike) I have spoken to here restrict their behaviors because of fear- no ambulating (haha) in the streets at night, or in certain areas because of the 'danger.' But they would never think twice about getting into a car.

The question of the OP is 'Is Buenos Aires dangerous?' Well yes, if mugging is the criteria for danger. Depends on what you perceive as dangerous I suppose. I consider the city dangerous (the life and limb thing) because of too many cars with people who don't know how to drive behind the wheel.

I'd rather walk through Boca or San Telmo at night (I do it every day) than drive a car or take a taxi every day.

muppditt said:
The OP defined 'danger' in this case as 'kidnappings & muggings.' If we consider the former, then BsAs is not dangerous. For the latter, then yes.

Perhaps you meant the opposite of this conclusion?

steveinbsas said:
Perhaps you meant the opposite of this conclusion?

According to HIS/HER (?) definition of danger, BSAS is dangerous. According to MINE, no.

muppditt said:
According to HIS/HER (?) definition of danger, BSAS is dangerous. According to MINE, no.

OK, I see what you mean. (I thought you were referring to kidnappings as the former and muggings as the latter.) Thanks

As kidnappings (especially of foreigners) are very rare, I would agree that BA is not dangerous. Regarding muggings, however, I would say BA is indeed somewhat dangerous. I know too many individuals who lost purses, cameras, computers, and cell phones this way. I think the "bird poop scam" is also a mugging, but I also agree that there is rarely any physical harm that resluts from these incidents.

this sounds weird, but i kind of want the bird poop scam to happen to me :p
i hold on to my purse like a mofo so i know they won't get it. perhaps when they see me cracking up laughing it will really destabilize them and they will just give up.

Back