Is Buenos Aires REALLY dangerous?

It really depends on where in greater Bs As you are ( the further away you are from the city the better ). As a local I would not live in a gated neighborhood because you are an easy catch ( the rob you when you drive to leave, security people are unreliable, many domestic workers, etc come from surrounding villas, etc ). I would live in Bs As in an open neighborhood in areas such as Areco, Lobos, Cardales, etc. The area just north out of the city ( Vicente Lopez, San Isidro, Accasusso, Olivos, Martinez ) between Libertador and the river is also safe. The city of Buenos Aires is very safe, except for certain areas ( near train stations ), La Boca, near Gral Paz, etc.
Did it actually happen that people got robbed when drive in/out the barrio cerrado? Or it’s just an hypothetical (I am actually surprised that these barrios don’t get raided, considering the amount of valuable and cash people keep in there)?

Did it actually happen that people got robbed when drive in/out the barrio cerrado? Or it’s just an hypothetical (I am actually surprised that these barrios don’t get raided, considering the amount of valuable and cash people keep in there)?
Unfortunately yes.

Fyi:Country robbery...yes it does happen more often than you can imagine.

We have friends that live in a country and there have been very, very few robberies where they live, either inside or right outside the country. Not all countries are equal in terms of the reliability and trustworthiness of the security forces and the physical barriers that impide robberies. There seems to be a general dislike for countries on this forum (maybe because of their elitist status for some) and therefore a tendency to exaggerate the level of insecurity they represent, but I doubt that you are going to find than there are more robberies within countries that in non gated neighborhoods of houses, regardless of the area and country you're talking about. I do think, though, that living in an apt in a safe area of the city is the safest option.

Last edited:
I always wonder; what is the most common method of 'breaking in'? I have a PB apartment, and I used to worry that someone would scale the 20 courtyard wall like a Batman villain with a rope/hook combination. And, those 1st floor apartments with balconies often have bars; are people bringing ladders out in the night? Do people get on rooftops like Spiderman and drop down to balconies? Just curious, because I would assume it's usually just brute force on a door, or mugging someone as they go in. But if i start apartment shopping, it would be good to know!

I always wonder; what is the most common method of 'breaking in'? I have a PB apartment, and I used to worry that someone would scale the 20 courtyard wall like a Batman villain with a rope/hook combination. And, those 1st floor apartments with balconies often have bars; are people bringing ladders out in the night? Do people get on rooftops like Spiderman and drop down to balconies? Just curious, because I would assume it's usually just brute force on a door, or mugging someone as they go in. But if i start apartment shopping, it would be good to know!
Google " entraderas " That is what they do the most.

It depends on which Buenos Aires you're talking about as it's not uniform, and there are tiers of security both in CABA and Provincia.

Safest

Sleepy towns in Patagonia or up north, rural Provincia, etc. If safety is your main concern you should move to one of these places.

Very Safe

Puerto Madero, countries (gated communities), rich open neighborhoods like San Isidro, etc. They still have crime for the same reason people rob banks (it's where the money is) but they're fairly safe over all.

Average

Palermo (Palermo has a lot of robberies that target tourists), Microcentro, Nuñez, Belgrano, Ezeiza (non-countries), Vicente Lopez, etc.

Below Average

La Boca, Villa Soldati, Flores, Nueva Pompeya, Avellaneda, Berazategui, etc. A mix during the day, but you'll want to be inside at night.

Insecure

Dock Sur, La Matanza, Villa 31, Monte Chingolo, etc. There is no reason for you to be in these neighborhoods unless you're looking for trouble.

Google " entraderas " That is what they do the most.
That's true, but it seems to refer more to robberies happening at the entrance of any house or building, rather than at Countries in specific:

Of all the articles about the matter on this page Infobae, there is none about an Entradera to a Country

I guess, as something pointed out before, that most of crimes are petty crimes which occur to easy or random targets in the street... I'm sure some burglars "would scale the 20 (floors?) courtyard wall like a Batman villain with a rope/hook combination", but they only do if they know what they are going to find inside the flat, if they know the person inside is on holiday or away for the week-end, or easy to immobilise while sleeping (old couples sleeping together, for example)... you don't want to go through all this only to steal a TV or find yourself in the middle of the night in a flat with 4 adults sleeping in different bedrooms who could be armed or hit you in the head from the back with a baseball bat (all of this at the 20th floor of an apartment building).

Back