Is Food Really So Expensible? Continue Of The $13.000 Thread

(1) Do you know if they have an organic section?

(2) Does anyone know if there is a similar wholesale organic market?

(3) Was this market originally at the Abasto shopping mall? I read some information (but in Spanish, not my strong point) that appears that it was moved from Abasto and Abasto redone into a shopping mall. Is this accurate?

(4) If someone were retired and didn't need to live in town, are there any attractive neighborhoods to live that would be convenient to this market?

1) Don't know if they have organic products in mercado central but I doubt it.
2) There used to be an organic market (info was valid like 5 years ago) on the university campus nearby River Plate stadium. Prices must not be as good though.
3) yop
4) For Mercado central I don't know, for Mercado concentrador de Jose C Paz there are plenty of gated communities around. I live in one of those 20 minutes away (3000 pesos for a house + big garden + pool - 750 pesos expensas - 1200 yearly municipal tax - electricity + gas are still subsidized): Del Viso/Don Torcuato/Pilar/Jose C Paz/San Miguel area

Good. Thanks. On the organic, right, prices are much higher, but if there is such a market it would almost surely be better than buying retail, delivered, which I do. I LIKE who I buy from but if I could get a half bushel or bushel of organic tomatoes wholesale to dehydrate, etc. I'd be delighted.

1.) Many would be surprised to know that Argentina is number three in the world for organic produce. The problem is much of it is exported and the idea of eating organic has not become mainstream, so it is not marketed as such internally. Most of what you buy in Buenos Aires is probably not organic (83% of the country's corn is GMO for instance). I believe it is more likely to unknowingly buy organic in the interior of the country where the produce comes from local chakras.

2.) The prices are fairly high but one organic produce delivery service is http://www.talloverde.com

3.) Yep, but all those trucks in the middle of the city became problematic. http://wander-argentina.com/abasto-shopping-mall/

4.) If i were in that position I would have my own garden. The soil is so fertile that you can throw seeds on the ground and they will grow. Shame that the country is hell-bent on ruining the soil and nutrition in our food by making deals with Monsanto and planting Round-up Ready GM soy.

Bravo la-gauchita on the shame of allowing Monsanto in the country. I didn't know Argentina is such a producer of organic. How do you know that? There are some other organic providers, El Rincon Organico and El Jardin Organico. But Argentina also has the high percentage of GMO food. That's a big reason I'd buy organic. I do not eat corn or soy in any country. Uruguay allows no Monsanto seeds except corn and soy so in Uruguay anything you eat other than those things will be non-GMO. What is WRONG with Argentina. Quite a few countries have banned GMO foods. Rats that eat GMO corn for two years are dragging around huge cancers and by the third generation they are sterile.

Gardening is a very good idea, except it's a little challenging on the 6th floor in BA.

Sorry I thought you were saying living outside of Buenos Aires, where you could conceivably have a a garden.

Super slow internet at the moment, but according to the amount of land devoted to organic farming it is number two:

http://www.organic-w...012-summary.pdf

It is third by some other measure, such as production or exports.

I'd like to avoid GMO food as well, but it is a challenge here -- already gave up drinking the nasty cancer & precocious puberty-causing rBGH Mon-satan milk.

Bravo la-gauchita on the shame of allowing Monsanto in the country. I didn't know Argentina is such a producer of organic. How do you know that? There are some other organic providers, El Rincon Organico and El Jardin Organico. But Argentina also has the high percentage of GMO food. That's a big reason I'd buy organic. I do not eat corn or soy in any country. Uruguay allows no Monsanto seeds except corn and soy so in Uruguay anything you eat other than those things will be non-GMO. What is WRONG with Argentina. Quite a few countries have banned GMO foods. Rats that eat GMO corn for two years are dragging around huge cancers and by the third generation they are sterile.

Gardening is a very good idea, except it's a little challenging on the 6th floor in BA.
Uhm doubt about your afirmation lol, the true is that GMO and non GMO food is the same cell by cell, the problem is diferent, the big isue about genetic modify food is that once the insect adapt to the new plants resistence there will be a big problem, the other problem it generates is that genetic plants cross with no genetic modified plants, then that farmer have to start paying to mosanto just because his plant have cross with mosanto gmo plants and in the long term the only variety that survive is the one produced by mosanto, if that variety is not good or have some perjudicial effect then you have a problem.
The rats that develop cancer for eating gmo food is BS, the GMO plants are the same as the non GMO plants but with and added resistence code string.

Monsatan (giggle). Thanks for the info. I'm serious about it. (I saw the pictures of those rats!)

This issue of gardening and knowing what I am eating is probably the one thing that will keep me from settling permanently in Buenos Aires. Unfortunate since I love the place!

I was this morning at Central market and there are big difference on prices regarding how far you are from the main entrance. As close as you are, the higher are the prices. This pictures are from the very inside the market where apples cost 5 pesos per kilo, mangos 3, pears 3, olive oil per litre 25, cherry 35 (it was 25 last week), lemon 2,5, tomato 4 and so on.

I also bought a whole box of oranges for 28 pesos. The first place where I asked, they offer it for 50.

There is another place, close to the exit where they only sell by the box and there I got this deal: 18 kilos of outstanding oranges for 28 pesos: 1.55 pesos per kilo.

There is a meet market too, to arrive before 7 am is super important, otherwise there are long lines. Asado is 3 kilos per 50 pesos.

090220131040_zps7527b693.jpg

090220131044_zps96f79e21.jpg

090220131039_zpsde7b9a36.jpg

http://i80.photobuck...zpse7da75a6.jpg
090220131045_zps64ae6e14.jpg

Back