Is Food Really So Expensible? Continue Of The $13.000 Thread

Rich one, depends, you don t need to feed an army. When you can get better quality for a lower price you can buy more.

I like fresh juice, so i need a lot pf fruits.
2 weeks ago i bought 16 kilos of sweet moscatel grapes for 50 pesos.

You just get more for your money.

Sorry Bajo_0 but I only consume seedless grapes :cool: 16 kilos of grapes would last me for 16 weeks,,,, :D or more!!

Why is butter cheaper per kilo in 200g packages than in 500g packages?

Actually, better question: Why do people buy the more expensive butter in 500g packages?

Actually, better question: Why do people buy the more expensive butter in 500g packages?

This happens all over the world actually, its to catch out lazy shoppers who end up paying more.

you also get fun things like this.

IMAG0053.jpg

Always calculate the price per kilo.

I was shocked at the price of cheap mozzarella in carfoure the other day. 80 pesos a kilo! Its only 40 odd in the fiambria down the road.

One of the great questions of Argentina. I've not found it to be true in other parts of the world when you buy in bulk since it costs less to make 1 big package than 2 small packages, etc. That's why stores like (in the US) Costco/BJs/Sams Warehouse are so popular. Normally, price per kilo should be cheaper in bulk. Yet more often that not, it's actually *more* expensive. I believe someone posted here once that the theory behind it was that if you could afford to buy large quantities at once, you obviously had money so you should pay more. Completely illogical but this is Argentina so no surprises.

I often wind up buying several small packages of things like spices, butter, etc at Makro rather than 1 larger bag/package/whatever.

To answer your 2nd questions - buying 1 large container of something is easier and more environmentally friendly than buying multiple small containers. So I would always prefer to buy in bulk, divide it and freeze. But that's not always the most economical option.

I have friends who live in the provincia. They pool their money with their family, friends and neighbours and buy most things in bulk from mercado central. And because its a bit of a pain driving there and back, they take it in turns. Through a little cooperation and planning, they all save a fortune and do much less shopping.

Goat Cheese $170 per kilo, :eek: Purchased at Cabaña Piedras Blancas, in Suipacha Ruta 5 kilometro 132

One of the great questions of Argentina. I've not found it to be true in other parts of the world when you buy in bulk since it costs less to make 1 big package than 2 small packages, etc. That's why stores like (in the US) Costco/BJs/Sams Warehouse are so popular. Normally, price per kilo should be cheaper in bulk. Yet more often that not, it's actually *more* expensive. I believe someone posted here once that the theory behind it was that if you could afford to buy large quantities at once, you obviously had money so you should pay more. Completely illogical but this is Argentina so no surprises.

I often wind up buying several small packages of things like spices, butter, etc at Makro rather than 1 larger bag/package/whatever.

To answer your 2nd questions - buying 1 large container of something is easier and more environmentally friendly than buying multiple small containers. So I would always prefer to buy in bulk, divide it and freeze. But that's not always the most economical option.

I think its because the company that produces whatever product, has to buy the packages from another company.They buy in bulk so a lot of small packages are cheap. Not so many people buy the large stuff, as no one has money, so less big packages, is less bulk, means less discount? Which ends up making the product in large packages more expensive. Could that be it? Just trying to follow some kind of logic here.

Goat Cheese $170 per kilo, :eek: Purchased at Cabaña Piedras Blancas, in Suipacha Ruta 5 kilometro 132

Hahahah dear lord, i remember when i paid that to go back to BsAs from SALTA. And they gave me champagne on the bus, and one of those fancy big ass chairs that go all the way down.

Anyway what is expensible, never heard this word before, must be an Aussie Exp<b></b>ression :D

Back