Is Food Really So Expensible? Continue Of The $13.000 Thread

I just bought 2bags, (1 REALLY heavy bag, 1 not so much) of the most beautiful fruits and vegetables at the corner store. I love that place, love my neighborhood for $67. Good food is cheap here, at that price it is cheap enough, I won't be schlepping all over town in search of cheaper.
Nancy

I went a lot last year to the central market, had no idea about the fish market, may go back now, QUESTION: you said you went at night, the website says that minoristas can go Saturday morning at 7am to 2pm. Were you able to buy small amounts of fish at night?
The quality is awesome! Also, while some things make better sence to buy in small amounts (fruit if you want to eat it fresh and not make jam out of it) some things, like potatoes, squash, etc it makes a lot of sense to buy 20 kilo bags.
I have a truck now so will probably be going more often--I am trying to convince hubby to put some expats in the back, charge them $20 a piece and take them there and back.
Also, a lot of neighborhood organizations organize buses to go there.
I haven´t had time to go back in a year, it is a shelp (though I did go on bus once, and then rented a van to go back, sharing it with a family who I met there), but it was a lot of fun, safe, and so good. It does change the way you cook, I made a lot of escabeche de berejena.

http://www.talloverde.com/

Deliver to us every friday, they are very good.

Check it out:)

I went a lot last year to the central market, had no idea about the fish market, may go back now, QUESTION: you said you went at night, the website says that minoristas can go Saturday morning at 7am to 2pm. Were you able to buy small amounts of fish at night?
The quality is awesome!

I didn t go at night yet, but I always go before 7 and they sell. I also asked about going earlier and they said that as far as I have cash, they sell.

My in-laws invited me with them to Nini in La Plata. It's pretty nice, clean and cheap so I thought I'd share a few of the prices. I spent about AR$1300, and I suppose it wouldn't make too much sense to go there unless you plan to spend AR$800 or more, mostly on non-perishables. They do offer a free flete for purchases over AR$3000 - not sure if it goes all the way to Capital, but if so, it could be interesting for 2 or 3 people to go there by bus and share a flete delivery. The place is fairly roomy and the lines not too long for this type of store. We waited about a 1/2 hour in line. They have a wide selection of food, wine, kitchen items, cleaning items, meat, some school supplies, etc.

www.nini.com.ar

But first, on the ride back, I made up a brain teaser:

----------------
Math in Argentina:

A man bought a juice for $4 pesos at a local store. Later he went to a wholesale place and bought 10 juices for $60 pesos ($6 pesos each) and he thought "Wow, what a great deal, I have to tell all my friends about this!". What happened, is the man stupid?

(Answer below)
----------------

And now a few highlights of prices from Nini

Baggio juice, 1 ltr, Durazno $5.59
Chango sugar, 10kg $47.77
La Paulina Butter 500gr $17.51
Nobie rice 5kg $35.09
La Cumbrecita yerba 500g $11.55
10 spiral notebooks 84pgs $80.30
Chelita whole milk 12 liters $73.48

This milk comes in 1ltr cartons and keeps 3 months out on a shelf. This could be a whole other thread. Even the regular milk here that you buy in a plastic bag can be left out all day and into the next without going sour. I do think the bag helps a little, by collapsing around the milk and giving less contact with air. But in the US it's what, maybe half a day and you have stinky lumpy sour milk? I don't know what they're adding to the milk here, but I just hope it is "preserving" me as well, and not killing every friendly bacteria in my digestive tract.

----------------
(brainteaser answer)
No, the man is not stupid. "Later" wasn't later the same day, it was 2 years later, and retail prices had gone up from $4 to $12 for each juice. The wholesale price was 50% off. Welcome to Argentina!

Eric - I'm paying same/slightly less than those prices at Marko which is a lot closer to town You may want to look into getting a membership there - I believe it's open to individuals as well as businesses. Just an idea.

I just bought 2bags, (1 REALLY heavy bag, 1 not so much) of the most beautiful fruits and vegetables at the corner store. I love that place, love my neighborhood for $67. Good food is cheap here, at that price it is cheap enough, I won't be schlepping all over town in search of cheaper.
Nancy

I love Nancy's posts very down to earth... :wub:

If you had gone to Mercado Central, deducting the gas, tolls, and trapitos..!! you could save max. 40% on your $67 peso purchase or lets say $26 pesos or US$3....! ( and spend 2 hours of agravation..) :mad:
Thanks
PD: Guess it depends if you are feeding over 10 people... like some do! the savings could be considerable!

What about this one www delahuertaasumesa blogspot com .
I dont live in Argentina but it seems reasonably priced and you have delivery to your doorstep. I use such a similar service here in Greece and I am totally satisfied. I will give it a try on my up coming visit.
Give me a reality check if you think this service is overpriced but take under consideration that the products are "supposed" to be organic,

Rich one, depends, you don t need to feed an army. When you can get better quality for a lower price you can buy more.

I like fresh juice, so i need a lot pf fruits.
2 weeks ago i bought 16 kilos of sweet moscatel grapes for 50 pesos.

You just get more for your money.

Back