Is it a good time to go back?

John.St said:
Sacrilege! Anathema! A la laterne! Sharpen the guillotine blade! Sharpen two blades!

Julio Cortázar wrote, among other works: "Historias de cronopios y de famas" and "Bestiario". World class !

Also "Axolotl", "Presencia", "Los reyes", "El examen", "Final del juego", "Las armas secretas", "Los premios", the marvellous "Rayuela" and "Todos los fuegos el fuego".

He was a translator - hrmpf! :D
Whoa ! The wrath of St. John ! Yes, a translator to help pay some of the bills ! One of my favorite writers firstly ! "Final del Juego" ! Great short story. "62: A Model Kit", sacrilege I know, but I prefer it to "Rayuela". Your wrath is misdirected !;)

gouchobob said:
Well what I am referring to is consistent better economic performance of these countries which has raised millions out of poverty, I think this is more important that the size of the theater district. Brazil is definitely a poorer country but its quickly closing the gap. Chile should be and probably is the model for development in the region. Argentina should be a rich country and it has vast potential, but until the political problems are resolved it will remain just that, a country with unrealized potential.
As regards Chile, I have just finished an Análisis FODA (English: SWOT) where I use the economic data from CIA, as follows

GDP per capita, 2010 estimates, ranking and amount in US$ (PPP):

072 Chile ... $ 15,400
078 Argentina $ 14,700
086 Uruguay . $ 13,700
091 Venezuela $ 12,700
103 Brazil .. $ 10,800
111 Colombia . $ 9,800
113 Suriname.. $ 9,700
115 Peru ..... $ 9,200
125 Ecuador .. $ 7,800
130 Guyana ... $ 7,200
145 Paraguay . $ 5,200
152 Bolivia .. $ 4,800

Source: CIA Factbook, GDP on a Purchasing Power Parity basis divided by population
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html

Johnny said:
Whoa ! The wrath of St. John ! Yes, a translator to help pay some of the bills ! One of my favorite writers firstly ! "Final del Juego" ! Great short story. "62: A Model Kit", sacrilege I know, but I prefer it to "Rayuela".
I have not only read "Historias de cronopios y de famas" umpteen times, I even translated it to the immense joy of my compatriots, also "Bestiario" and "Noches en los ministerios de Europa", and I am gathering strenght to translate "Nuevas Historias de cronopios y de famas".

"Instrucciones para subir una escalera" (the very thought that anyone should need such instructions!) and "Aplastamiento de las gotas" (".. una gotita ...Está prendida con todas las uñas, no quiere caerse y se la ve que se agarra con los dientes ...") Genial!!!

- not to mention "Discurso del oso": ("Soy el oso de los caños de la casa, subo por los caños en las horas de silencio, los tubos de agua caliente, de la calefacción, del aire fresco, voy por los tubos de departamento en departamento y soy el oso que va por los caños.") raving mad and brilliant!

Johnny said:
Your wrath is misdirected !;)
Too late! I already shipped a lightning bolt through Áerolineas Argentina - but then it may never get to you, considering the operator's past performance :D:D

canut,
with the commitments in the US and Argentina it's hard for me to choose between these two right now.
The Germany looks recently like a safest place from the economic point of view and Berlin sounds like a good spot for the international globetrotters, but I've never personally checked this one.

I understand that New Orleans might be an easy transition place for somebody who lived for a while in BsAs but keep in mind the following:
the New Awlins is a much, much more diversified city than BsAs
you'll have to filter your tap water or purchase the bottled one
you'll have to be cremated if you choose to die there

Please, keep us posted about your decision process and let us know how things shake up for you in the place of your choosing. We are dying to know what happens next.
Regards,
Olynor

Brazil is not doing better than Argentina and never has . The poor in Brazil live miserable lives and the wages of the working classes are less than half of Argentinas . How is this positive? The Amazon and the environment are being destroyed at a rapid rate due to agressive business practices supported by their pro business government. This to me is a tragedy of unknown dimensions and it one that has worsened of late since the ascencion of Dilma Rouseff.

Argentinians are wealthier than the average Brazilians and have a higher level of education. The universities of Argentina and the culture offerings are the envy of Latin America.There are more international students in Buenos Aires than any city of the Americas and free education is there for all .

Buenos Aires has the largest theatre district of the world and also a countless array of museums . The government also spends a tremendous amount of monies promoting cultural events that are free to the public.

Comparing us to Brazil or Chile is a insult to the intelligence of most Argentinians who while aware of their faults certainly do believe that their lives are richer in the material and cultural sense than in those countries.[/quote]

I wish I could buy into this argument and maybe on a cultural level I can agree but I know of none of my Argentinean friends, from 20s to 60s who do not hold Brazil in high esteem and as a a model of how a Latam country can develop its way out of trouble with sound politics and economics. From Salta to Ushuaia Argentina is full of Brazilian tourists howing exactly how much richer they are in a material sense.
As a business owner in Brazil these last 5 years I can attest that inflation has tipped just over 5% once...hardly comparable to the situation we all know and feel in Argentina...John St. likely has the stats!

olynor said:
canut,
with the commitments in the US and Argentina it's hard for me to choose between these two right now.
The Germany looks recently like a safest place from the economic point of view and Berlin sounds like a good spot for the international globetrotters, but I've never personally checked this one.

I understand that New Orleans might be an easy transition place for somebody who lived for a while in BsAs but keep in mind the following:
the New Awlins is a much, much more diversified city than BsAs
you'll have to filter your tap water or purchase the bottled one
you'll have to be cremated if you choose to die there

Please, keep us posted about your decision process and let us know how things shake up for you in the place of your choosing. We are dying to know what happens next.
Regards,
Olynor
Loads of people drink tap water in New Orleans. Some use a filter system. Some drink bottled water. Just about like everywhere. I drank tap water in New Orleans during my recent trip. No extra toes yet !

As far as the burial. Some above ground and some below ground. There is more above ground internment in New Orleans than most places. The water table issue being one reason, and the other is the french and spanish influence two centuries ago that valued above ground internment.

Hey, get your "facts" straight !:mad:

fifs2 said:
As a business owner in Brazil these last 5 years I can attest that inflation has tipped just over 5% once...hardly comparable to the situation we all know and feel in Argentina...John St. likely has the stats!
How did you know? ;)

Brasil. Inflation rate (consumer prices):

2003:. 8.30 %
2004: 14.70 %
2005:. 7.60 %
2006:. 6.90 %
2007:. 3.00 %
2008:. 3.60 %
2009:. 5.70 %
2010:. 4.90 %
2011:. 4.90 % (2010 estimate)

There is a problem with the way Brasilian inflation data are calculated, not as phony as the Argentino figures, but they may be up to 10% higher.

Source: http://www.indexmundi.com/brazil/inflation_rate_(consumer_prices).html
Source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2092.html

With all due respect, it's time to look at facts. There's a lot of delusion that's part of the culture here. Argentines are proud, and should be, of much this country offers. However, the facts are scary. Argentina did have a fine educational system, but while it's been sleeping, nearly every country in LAM passed it:

BUENOS AIRES -- Argentina, which once was one of the world's richest countries, is suffering from an educational debacle. But what struck me the most during a visit here was that very few -- including those in the government -- seem to care about it.

Last week, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development released the results of its much-awaited PISA student achievement test, which measures the proficiency of 15-year-old students in 65 countries in reading comprehension, math and science. It is the world's most recognized measure of countries' education standards.

In reading comprehension, the city of Shanghai, China, got the highest scores (China didn't participate as a country), followed by South Korea, Finland, Hong Kong and Singapore. The United States ranked 17th, Spain 33rd, Chile 44th, Uruguay 47th, Mexico 48th, Colombia 52nd, Brazil 53rd, and Argentina 58th.

Of Latin American nations, only Panama and Peru scored lower than Argentina, coming in at 62nd and 63rd, respectively.

The PISA test math and science results were similar, reflecting a steady decline for Argentina and a slight improvement for Brazil, which 10 years ago ended up last on the list.

When the figures were first released on Dec. 7, the United States, Britain, France, Germany and several other countries reacted with justified alarm.

`WAKE-UP CALL'

U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said that America's mediocre test results ``should be a massive wake-up call to the entire country.'' Several European countries announced plans to overhaul their education systems.

But in Argentina, instead of using the results as a trigger to mobilize the country to improve its education standards, the government of President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner did the opposite: it blamed the PISA test for allegedly not being fair.

Argentina's education minister, Alberto Sileoni, was quoted in the media as saying the PISA test was conceived by rich countries ``for a reality that is not ours.''

He said Argentina is discussing the creation of a regional test with other Latin American countries and suggested that Argentina could pull out from the PISA test.

In the media, except for a front-page story in the daily La Nación reporting that the country's test scores had fallen sharply over the past 10 years, the test results received scant attention. Most pro-government media ignored the issue altogether.

Other Latin American governments reacted more maturely than Argentina, but some offered a questionable dose of triumphalism.

Mexico's President Felipe Calderon celebrated that Mexico ``not only achieved but surpassed the goals we had set ourselves'' in reading comprehension and math. Peruvian Education Minister Jose Antonio Chang also stressed the positive, saying that his country's scores showed improvement from 10 years ago.

My opinion: The governments of Argentina and seven other Latin American countries that participated in the latest PISA test deserve credit for taking part. Others, including Cuba, prefer to take the safe route of not participating and thus avoid any potentially embarrassing results.

TEXTBOOK CASE

But the Argentine education minister's reaction should become a textbook case of how not to react to bad news on the education front. In an increasingly competitive global economy, countries need reality checks that tell them where they need to improve.

To use a sports analogy in this soccer-crazy country, the minister's suggestion that Argentina may abandon the PISA test amounts to saying, ``Since we did badly in the World Cup soccer, let's pull out and compete in a regional tournament.''

That's a recipe for complacency and economic stagnation. Argentina, which has won five Nobel prizes and still has a huge reservoir of academic talent, should do exactly the opposite and use the PISA test results as a call to action to improve its education standards.

Instead of embracing the politics of denial, this country -- and many others, for that matter -- should adopt a healthy dose of ``constructive paranoia.'' They need to feel others are doing better and redouble their efforts to catch up with them.

Asian countries do exactly that: they are constantly measuring themselves against the best of the world, and worrying about being left behind. As the PISA tests show, it's working for them.

John.St said:
How did you know? ;)

Brasil. Inflation rate (consumer prices):

2003:. 8.30 %
2004: 14.70 %
2005:. 7.60 %
2006:. 6.90 %
2007:. 3.00 %
2008:. 3.60 %
2009:. 5.70 %
2010:. 4.90 %
2011:. 4.90 % (2010 estimate)

There is a problem with the way Brasilian inflation data are calculated, not as phony as the Argentino figures, but they may be up to 10% higher.

Source: http://www.indexmundi.com/brazil/inflation_rate_(consumer_prices).html
Source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2092.html

Phew..and your data backed me up too..even better..thanks John St. The govt. data may be skewed but with 30 employees we just don't have the same salary review issues as here and the staff have been happy with 5% increases..maybe its because the govt has a list of non-taxable benefits already built into the salary system so it's a lot easier to put money into the employees pocket. The availability of easy credit for workers also means most are appt. or house owners with 25yr mortgages..it's amazing to see the differences sound economic policies make to the day to day lives of our guys. And the biggest difference..Dilma is vocally worried about inflation and is putting a break on public spending...CFK would win a lot of votes if she'd even just admit the inflation problem here. I, like my friends am just insulted when they call it price adjustments.

fifs2 said:
I, like my friends am just insulted when they call it price adjustments.
AFAIK there are three kinds of lies:

White lies, which one tells to protect somebody "He died in his sleep without the slightest pain".

Ordinary lies.

Stupid lies, i.e. lies, which people know in advance are lies or which are exposed immediately.

In the old Soviet Union system lies were an art form, the name of which I unfortunately have forgotten.

I tell you that we have superceded the 5-year plan.
You know that I lie.
I know that you know I lie.
- up to here there is nothing unusually (plain old politician game), but

You know that I know that you know - and yet I claim that we have superceded the 5-year plan - and you agree.

Back