Is it all down to lack of respect???

bebero said:
opportunities are opportunities. every company in the world would fire someone without a two weeks notice if they needed to.
the kids will have another teacher, end of the story! what's so terrible?
No.

At least in the part of the world, where my home country is located, after three months of employment you have a three months notice as a minimum, adding a month for every year you have been employed in the same company after the fourth year.

If you have been an employee for 10 or more years you have 9 months of notice from your employer's side.

Your individual contract can - guaranteed by law - stipulate additional months of notice, adding to both sides.

fifs2 said:
John you have such a gentle spirit
I think it's the first time anyone has ever used that expression about me.:)

My philosophy is 'treat me well or leave me alone, and you can behave as you please, as long as you don't harm others. Sh*t on me or attack someone who is defenseless, and I'll kick you, even if you are lying down'.

Not exactly gentle, what?

John.St said:
I think it's the first time anyone has ever used that expression about me.:)

My philosophy is 'treat me well or leave me alone, and you can behave as you please, as long as you don't harm others. Sh*t on me or attack someone who is defenseless, and I'll kick you, even if you are lying down'.

Not exactly gentle, what?

Well compared to the vitriol spouting out of AKBill (with hangover no doubt) and his side-kick bebero you qualify for sainthood!

AkBill said:
Yep... "Fifs2" seems to view argentinos as lesser human beings who should just exist to serve her

Well guess what, they aint. She seems to think she is a NAZI, this is 1935, and the 'workers' (her words) here are jews

Sorry but try again.. if you have such little respect for the people in this country why not go somewhere else? i agree the politicians are all terrible and corrupt but since you despise poor 'workers' so much why not just accept Argentina isnt for you?

Title of the thread?...your response ...I rest my case...Have a great day.:D

John.St said:
No.

At least in the part of the world, where my home country is located, after three months of employment you have a three months notice as a minimum, adding a month for every year you have been employed in the same company after the fourth year.

If you have been an employee for 10 or more years you have 9 months of notice from your employer's side.

Your individual contract can - guaranteed by law - stipulate additional months of notice, adding to both sides.

1) in argentina (as in many countries) employees dont have contracts. if you have a contract then you're not an employee.
2) if your employer tells you that you need to give notice but you don't...that's it, you left, you already have a new job.

I hope the person performing your open heart surgery doesn't get invited out to a nice dinner during your operation. Karma's a bitch like that.

that makes so little sense compared to what we're talking about that i'm not even gonna try to explain while your logics are so flawed

People, A TEACHER IS NOT A SLAVE. tbere's a thing called FREEDOM and it makes you able to leave from wherever the hell you want. she did NOT HURT ANYONE, god!!! the kids will recover in a heartbeat and they will have ANOTHER teacher!

if you want a slave you're in the wrong decade.

I don't even know that the above means with regards to employees don't have contracts but if they have contracts they're not employees:confused:

A teacher leaving mid-year is baffling to me - I've not heard of that ever happening anywhere. Normally teachers sign a contract for the school year.

Moreover, regardless of the profession, leaving without notice is unprofessional. I hardly think expecting an employee to give at least 2 weeks notice equates to slavery :rolleyes: Fan of hyperbole much?

And and if the shoe were on the other foot and an employer fired an employee without any notice, 99% of the employees would be the first ones in line screaming about how TERRIBLE AND HORRIBLE the employer is. But employers can't do that. Why - because its illegal. Seems only fair that it be illegal for an employee to walk off without notice no?

My experience are that argentines are extremely loyal and helpful towards their closest contacts (particularly family, close friends and, especially in the conurbano, long-term neighbours) but don't care about anybody else and will not leave out any opportunity to rip them off.

That's what makes it difficult for expats since they generally don't have family and neighbours know that they are likely to leave in a few months or years. Even if you are a nephew of 4th degree, you get privileges and reliability that you almost can't get through friendship.

PS: Egoistic behaviour seems to be a general issue in big cities and today's times. Unfortunately not limited to BsAs at all.

In the States, if a teacher leaves mid-year (and not due to illness or maternity leave), it's because of total burnout. I know a couple of young teachers who began working in the NYC public schools, and quit mid-year because they were on the verge of a nervous breakdown. In situations like those, it's unfortunate but understandable. Leaving mid-year for a higher-paying teaching job, though, is not only unprofessional but strange, since most schools don't even HIRE new teachers except at the beginning of the new year (at least in the States.)

People, you are a bit off about employment, which isn't bad for itself if you are expats, but its kind of alarming coming from people that managed a biz here.

"Relacion de dependencia" (full time employees) dont have a contract. They are hired.
Contracts are usually reserved for providers, not employees.

If anyone is on "relación de dependencia", they should give 2 weeks notice before leaving. If they don't , its discounted from their salary as if they were absent. That's it. Not illegal. Its up to the worker to actually give the notice, and it will usually depend on the new job and how well the employee was treated and his/her relationship with the employer.

Why shouldn´t education have more in common with business? Most jobs that I have had in the U.S. are ¨at will¨. This means that I can leave whenever and I can be fired whenever. In the U.S. we often protect teachers from being fired. We have a fear that this would cause problems for the children or for continuity. I think these fears are somewhat unfounded. I think that education should be a competitive field too. Teachers that are good should be able to get better opportunities. Why should they feel they have to suck it up and take lower pay if they have a better opportunity? Likely the opportunity will not wait for them. I don´t think we should be afraid to fire teachers mid-year either if they aren´t doing the job well. The interview process for teaching jobs perhaps would be longer if this was the case because each school like every employer would have to seek out individuals that they think fit within the school dynamic and will want to stay. The schools would have to also present themselves as competitive options to potential teachers. Similar to any job I do believe in giving at least a 2-week notice (probably a bit longer for teaching). Perhaps the teacher gave notice to the school and the school did not notify parents?

Regarding respect, I find Argentines extremely friendly and helpful within their social group. Strangers are seen as outsiders but, there is a feeling of being Argentine that transcends this at certain moments. Watching Messi play perhaps is one of them. In the U.S. everywhere we go my husband immediately finds Argentines to befriend. When he runs into someone they behave in the same way that many American expats do. There is immediately a bond.

Back