Is it all that bad? Please say it isn't!

yeps, indeed: would u like to hear only positive news and info? Probably tourists would have a superficial impression of the city and would say "oh" and "ha". But we live here.
Anyway, I'm half Dutch so if you want some info in Dutch write me a PM, cheers

There should be a detailed box on anyone posting love or hate for any city.

Like every other reasonable city to consider living in, BA has demographics that like it more than others:

LIKING BA NOW

- those making foreign currencies than skew well against the dollar and can rent a nice apt., still eat at the decent restaurants and travel LAM;

- those in their 20s and early 30s who have lots of social options and don't mind living in 400 sq. ft. Apartment with one burner. most cant find good jobs in the states or Europe now
anyway, so it's more fun doing menial work here for now than cummuting from their parent's basements. These guys love it for a year or so and then move on, usually going back home.

-those who have found an opportunity to start a business here that would not be possible with their model most places; Argentina has a lot of underutilized talent. Of course the business can't
require bricks and mortar because business rules change daily.
-Those who have enough to live well but not in a major city. Great apartments still Cousteau a lot less than in NY, London, SF or Paris, servants are very cheap, top restaurants and good local wine is MUCH cheaper--so you can live ther the wealthy even if you no longer can in the US or
europe.

THOSE IT'S NOT WORKING FOR NOW

- many retirees from major cities once found this an amazing place to live. Inflation has stopped that. Living on a fixed income with 25% inflation is tough!

-Importers-Argentina is not presently import friendly.

After that it depends on your situation and what you're looking for. When I was raising my kids we live in a variety of places but I don't think I'd have chosen AR for several reason. Crime would be high on the list. One of out employees was robbed on the way home from school last week and while certainly it happens everywhere, it's just too common here as are home invasions, robberies with guns, etc.

But probably the biggest reason I would have chosen to raise kids her is the subtle but real belief in this culture that everyone steaks--everyone will rip you off so you should do the same. I adore many Argentines personally and have food good honest people who work in our business, yet the lack of character is plain to see in the culture.

That said, at this stage in our lives where there are no kids permanently at home, we can choose where to live, this is a great place for our business model, we get to travel often and have a base in our home country- for the most part we like most things here very much.

It is sad that many here are allowing the high costs of living to become the main point while forgetting about the essence of Buenos Aires . There are many free activities here as well and of course there are a tremendous amount of parks in the City to enjoy and exercise in.

I've been here for 2.5 months and will be leaving in August so I'm a short timer by expat standards and my opinion may not mean much as I'm still new to the city. I'm here from the states and came down for my wifes work. So here is a quick background on me so to help explain my opinions.

I have two kids that go to school in an english school north of town. I live in Palermo and love the area. My home is in the midwestern part of the USA and nothing like I have here. We could have lived in a neighborhood similar to what I have at home, we chose the city for the experience. I don't speak the native tounge very well but I am trying hard every day. My wife speaks very well so it really helps get around town and the area. I found English spoken but not as prevelant as I thought and sometimes it's a challenge, but I'm in BsAs not home! We took this opportunity to move for a year to give all of us a different perspective on life and we hope that our experience stays with us for the rest of our life.

So I offer an opinion or two. I have also read the negatives and I have found some of them to be very true to my situation. It's a huge city, there is a lot of garbage, dog waste, beggers and things of that nature and it's less of that in the nicer neighborhoods of course. I personally find the food very good and enjoy trying as many places as I can before I go. I've read the threads how much better it used to be, oh well, it's stil pretty good. I do find the Argentine taste buds to be a little bland for me. I like a little more variety and spice in my cooking but it's not really here or very easy to find, so instead of bitching I adapt to what I have here. We didn't take this opportunity to move and expect things to be like home, if we wanted home we would have stayed.

COMPARED TO WHERE I LIVE I have found some people very rude and arrogant, part of it I chalk up to being in a large city and part of it may be my ignorance of the history or culture of Argentina. On the other hand we have also started to meet a few Argentines and like at home, a friend is a friend. It's been very positive, rewarding and I think we may be developing some friendships that will last a long time. I don't expect anyone to stop me on the street and become my best friend so if that means that Argentines are rude, I guess it does then.

We able to do things here that we may have never done and when it's time to go home we will be ready. We love our life back home but will be better people for living here. We find ourselves comparing things here to home and it's fun but it doesn't do much good because we are here and not there. My kids are learning spanish for one and the valuable life experience and other kids that they meet is priceless. I don't know if they will have "pen pals" for the rest of their lives but they have changed so much in 2.5 months that being here has really paid off.

My family and I miss our life at home, family and friends a lot but we also know we are going home in the fall. We didn't come here to run away from something, start over or change who we are. Living here will change us and hopefully for the better.

To sum up this long winding message I don't regret coming here. I have found some things much worse then expected and some things much better. This is home for now and I hope when I leave I have the feeling that this is a 2nd home for me.

Where is amazing day life?

Night life is hit and Miss and much more Miss then hit compared to 2005-2007

header,

"buenos aires is hardly the best city in the world to live in" and you have to keep in mind that it's a third-world city with third-world problems. having said that, it is a beautiful and very cultured city. my husband and i are on our 4th year of living here part of the year. we own a house in palermo and are fortunate enough not to eke out a living on a meager peso income or take public transportation at rush our every day. these things make a huge difference in terms of quality of life. our life here is extremely pleasant. all our neighbors are argentines, and the nicest, sweetest, funnest people in the world. we all have keys to each others' houses, and we all spend a lot of time together, eating, drinking, cooking, playing. they are my family.

your experience in argentina will depend a lot on your economic circumstances, your common sense, and your openess and attitude. sounds like you may be ready for it. enjoy.

Probably you will find a little truth in all the positions you've read. No place is perfect!

I have been in Buenos Aires for two years, plus lots of experience here before that. This is a megacity. Any megacity has crime. You do need to be careful here. I have had my wallet stolen right out of my purse on the subway, and they had to unzip the purse while it was hanging on my shoulder. HOW did they manage it? I have no clue. They actually have conventions here (the petty criminals) with contests and so on.

But I learned. I have a purse now with a flap that folds down over the zipper. I STILL had someone try something but I was now wiser.

Also there are many frustrations. If you are used to a country where efficiency is the rule and customer service, prepare for a change. It does wonders for your patience if you do adjust to it.

And yet many things here are wonderful. I have been here two years and I like it. I do not live in La Boca. That would not be wise. Nor in Constitucion. I like San Telmo. It is the historical area of BA with very old buildings, etc., but was told for a woman my age not to stay there. It is borderline. I live in Palermo in a very safe area. It is beautiful, I have good neighbors, I like the neighborhood, the storekeepers. I like everything about it.

But if I had had some bad experiences, perhaps I wouldn't say that. I know one woman here who was knocked down on the sidewalk once by three men who stole her shoes right off her feet. They were expensive high heels. It has not happened to me.

I think it's important to live in a good area. Since you already have a job opportunity here, that's the best. A business here, from all I hear, can be difficult with a lot of government interferance. I don't have experience with that though. It's what I've been told.

I hope this helps. I think attitude might have something to do with it too. It is easy to get frustrated with the negatives. But I am from the US and when I go back, I find things I don't like there as well. I'm from Brevard County, Florida. If you are friendly to someone in line at the grocery store, they will act like you must be up to something. Here in Buenos Aires it's entirely different. I've been standing in line at the checkout before and had someone from the rear of the line walk up and give me a handfull of % off coupons to apply to my bill. She had more than she could use and she didn't just throw them away.

Lately I fell in my apartment. Thought my arm might be broken. I knocked on the neighbor's door (I've been here 2 years and had not met him, he's a young guy I learned who works in movie production here). I asked him where there is a hospital I could just check to see if it was a fracture. He looked at it and said, "It IS broken (it wasn't but it had swelled quickly) we are going to the hospital. I said "That's okay, I'm fine, I'll take a taxi (they are very cheap here). He said, "No! I'm taking you. We are going in my car." And we did. He took me inside, made sure I was where I needed to be (to wait), left for a few minutes, then came back and gave me 20 pesos just in case I didn't have small bills and the taxi home had a driver with no change. Of course I paid him back the next day.

This is just a bit of my experience here, both good and bad.

I think if you just ask someone who has experience here where to live and for some guidelines, it will be good for your girls. I don't intend to go back to my country, if that tells you anything.

Header, it really depends on what you are looking for by coming here. We can give you a million reasons not to come, or a million reasons to come, but it really depends on you.

Why do you want to come here? What are your plans for coming here? What will your job situation be like? Will you enroll your kids in private school? Theres a lot of things that we need to know in order to give you the advice that YOU need.

If I were considering moving anywhere for four years I would pay that place a substantial visit before committing myself. Opinions found here are of value but only you will know if this is a place where you want to spend four years of your (and your family's) life. I think coming here first is the most sensible option (assuming you have time to do that before accepting or rejecting the job).
As far as what Buenos Aires will be like during the next four years ---- absolutely nobody can predict.

Like a couple others, we haven't been here that long - five months - and have definitely found positives and negatives. One thing to know, though, is there are many things that make BA a wonderful place for kids. Other children have been very welcoming to my kids, and there are many good schools to choose from. People are very friendly to children, and there are lots of good activities, etc., for them. Feel free to PM if you have specific questions - I have two daughters, 4 and 6.

Back