Is it better to apply for visa from inside or outside the country?

The question is whether or not the university will ever be in contact with migraciones if I decide to never show up for class.
Last year, I enquired with an education provider on this matter. They explained the following:
  • A foreigner can only obtain a Migraciones student visa if studying at an institution that is accredited and registered with Migraciones for this purpose (the institution in question was registered with Migraciones).
  • Each semester, as part of its accreditation with Migraciones, the institution is required to report to Migraciones the status of its foreign students taking its program on a student visa.
So the university is no doubt a Migraciones-accredited provider, but we can be sure there is a regular feedback look between the two. It's part of the contract.

Last year, I enquired with an education provider on this matter. They explained the following:
  • A foreigner can only obtain a Migraciones student visa if studying at an institution that is accredited and registered with Migraciones for this purpose (the institution in question was registered with Migraciones).
  • Each semester, as part of its accreditation with Migraciones, the institution is required to report to Migraciones the status of its foreign students taking its program on a student visa.
So the university is no doubt a Migraciones-accredited provider, but we can be sure there is a regular feedback look between the two. It's part of the contract.

I'm prepared for that possibility as well. The university I'd indeed accredited and on the 4 year degree program, it was still only 4 classes per week and each class was a couple hours. I also have the choice of in person or virtual classes. Its not that hard to maintain. Back in March I actually attended the first week virtually. But by the time I got all the documents from the university to present to the consulate, they had already stopped processing visas. At that point the university said I could pause my studies and resume at a later date. So basically I'm just on hold waiting for the consulates.

... from all that I've read it seems to give you a better chance of success if you wait at least a year before applying and have real residency with a DNI.

There is no need to wait until the second year to start the case.

My plan is to hire a lawyer regardless. I just feel like having a DNI, a visa, not doing border runs, and still hiring a lawyer will give me the best chance of success.

If you are going to hire a lawyer regardless, why not start the case shortly after you arrive? You could (obviously) have the citizenship a year earlier.

I think Bajo_cero2's advice is worth listening to. He is the same person I refer to as Dr. Rublilar. He is a lawyer who not only specializes in citizenship for foreigners, he has experience representing individuals without a DNI.

That being said, I'm sure you will feel much better if you actually apply for and get a DNI as soon after your arrival as posssible.

I have already been accepted into a 4 year program at a private university in BA. From the emails I exchanged with the consulate back in February, there is a 365+ student visa I can apply for. That seems to indicate that there is a student visa that lasts more than a year. The question is whether or not the university will ever be in contact with migraciones if I decide to never show up for class. I already have all the required documents from the university to present to the consulate.

Yes I understand that it is technically not required to do any of this but from all that I've read it seems to give you a better chance of success if you wait at least a year before applying and have real residency with a DNI.
It is immigration who double checks it.

If you are going to hire a lawyer regardless, why not start the case shortly after you arrive? You could (obviously) have the citizenship a year earlier.

I think Bajo_cero2's advice is worth listening to. He is the same person I refer to as Dr. Rublilar. He is a lawyer who not only specializes in citizenship for foreigners, he has experience representing individuals without a DNI.

That being said, I'm sure you will feel much better if you actually apply for and get a DNI as soon after your arrival as posssible.

There are a couple reasons why I don't that applying right away is the best choice for me.

1. Although it is possible to succeed, not having a DNI could significantly extend to process beyond the 2 years. If I'm correct, applying right away won't get you there sooner since it won't be processed until the 2 year mark even it is goes through.

2. If I apply right away, I'd probably need to stay in the country until the process is finished. That could be years.

There are a couple reasons why I don't that applying right away is the best choice for me.

1. Although it is possible to succeed, not having a DNI could significantly extend to process beyond the 2 years. If I'm correct, applying right away won't get you there sooner since it won't be processed until the 2 year mark even it is goes through.

2. If I apply right away, I'd probably need to stay in the country until the process is finished. That could be years.
1. This is not accurate. Even the judge might not process your case, your lawyer can do it without asking permission because the new system allows lawyers to request reports. thus, 2 years are reached with the case ready for sentencing.
2. No.

1. This is not accurate. Even the judge might not process your case, your lawyer can do it without asking permission because the new system allows lawyers to request reports. thus, 2 years are reached with the case ready for sentencing.
2. No.

Interesting. I have some things to think about

Interesting. I have some things to think about
If my information is correct, there is one other thing you might want to think about:

While you have a student visa, even if you are in Argentina more than six months of the tax year (Jan1-Dec 31), I don't think your foreign income and assets will be subject to taxation in Argentina.

After you become a citizen, if you are from the USA and live (are physically present) in Argentina more than 183 days of the year (not necessarily consecutive), I believe they could be.

Last edited:
If my information is correct, there is one other thing you might want to think about:

While you have a student visa, even if you are in Argentina more than six months of the tax year (Jan1-Dec 31), I don't think your foreign income and assets will be subject to taxation in Argentina.

After you become a citizen, if you are from the USA and live (are physically present) in Argentina more than 183 days of the year (not necessarily consecutive), I believe they could be.

If you have foreign income and/or assets, Argentina cannot bother you about it if you never report your foreign country identity number (ie Social Security) number to anyone here.

Back