Is it better to apply for visa from inside or outside the country?

I'm guessing your SSN isn't requiered on any docs for the application?
Based on personal experience, no.

That being said, US citizens with Argentine residency must sign a W-9 when they open a bank account here.

Of course that entails providing their SSN.

Perhaps Argentine banks won't require that if you have an Argentine DNI (as a citizen).

If I understand correctly, as long as you are a US citizen, you would have to report to the IRS if you ever have more than the equivalent of $10,000 USD in a bank here.

US tax law may also require US citizens to sign a W-9 even if they also have Argentine citizenship.

I didn't hesitate to sign the W-9 when asked by Santander Rio (where I had opened the account in 2012 with a DNI EXTRANJERO).

I did so knowing it would never create any tax liability for me in the US or Argentina...

...and I didn't want to worry about failure to comply with US tax law.
-

Last edited:
FINALLY!! The process is under way! I have officially requested an appointment for the visa. According to the email, the whole process shouldn't take more than a month because it says to request at least a month in advance of your flight.

Can anyone tell me the name of that company of immigration lawyers in Argentina. It was supposedly a good company.

That being said, US citizens with Argentine residency must sign a W-9 when they open a bank account here.

I was under impression that this is requirement imposed on bank, not on citizen.
US citizens only need to file FBAR in case their non-US accounts exceed $10k

Back