Is It Democratic To Elect A Dictator Or A Lunatic ?

Communications should indeed be always be well thought out. The most solid ideas can absolutely be explained quite simply and do not need to hind behind the opaque language of a technocrat.

I can make up a quip for that if it serves to illustrate a point, but I have a spin cycle to sort out first.

Not all important things can be explained simply, maybe crudely outlined yes, but not simply. If that were true there would be no academic books, we could all just use twitter instead. Enjoy your 'spinning' you seem good at it :D

In modern political sciences Democracy is only a voting process which could of course lead to 'mob rule' or 'tyranny of the majority' as is often said.

The modern nation state however is not only based on 'democracy' and to understand nation states in this way is a gross oversimplification.

Democracy is part of a matrix of governmental organization processes, norms and structures which together create a system for the various branches of the ruling system to interact with each other horizontally , and to interact with the population vertically.

An important element to consider is the constitution which is a primary structure for regulating all of these elements; including (but not limited to) the polity's voting method.

Most lay people think of the democratic element of state organization as being the foundation for its legitimacy, but it's actually the constitution with all of it's bells and whistles which really serves this function. The voting element is an a necessary but not a sufficient element of a just nation state setup.

:)
That would be a constitutional democracy, which should in theory help to avoid the mob tyranny effect. However in practice overtime the constitution gets ignored, or loopholes are found and exploited.

That would be a constitutional democracy, which should in theory help to avoid the mob tyranny effect. However in practice overtime the constitution gets ignored, or loopholes are found and exploited.

Agreed! Though in time the constitution can also be strengthened and updated in line with a just society, both possibilities are feasible. Sometimes the latter even happens!

patriot Act, NDAA, undeclared wars, I am looking at all of you.

Still can´t get over the first shock.
Like turning the whole world on its head.

Seriously?

Wait till you get a load of this

https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Arrow_s_impossibility_theorem.html

Not all important things can be explained simply, maybe crudely outlined yes, but not simply. If that were true there would be no academic books, we could all just use twitter instead. Enjoy your 'spinning' you seem good at it :D

The most detailed explanations can be achieved, via any medium, clearly and concisely using open and understandable language.

A text book can contain complex content, even technical content, whilst communicating those ideas a clear and concise manner.

I am amused at the irony of your twitter remarks given your affinity with the smiley face.

patriot Act, NDAA, undeclared wars, I am looking at all of you.

Yep, there are a lot of flaws in the constitution, and a lot of unconstitutional legislation in the US, its the same in the UK where I am from.

But the problems aren't due to the voting method of democracy, they are due in no small part to inefficiencies in the constitutional protections and their application. There are of course many other reasons for these problems too, indeed many books and papers have been written on the subject.

I don't think the answer is to blame the voting method though, or do you have a better system in mind which would avoid the issues you mention?

So, you knock down Democracy.

Then you come up with Constitutional Democracy.
But you poke holes in it.

So what is next?
Any solution in sight?
You must have something.

My head is in the spin cycle.
Need a brake.

The most detailed explanations can be achieved, via any medium, clearly and concisely using open and understandable language.

A text book can contain complex content, even technical content, whilst communicating those ideas a clear and concise manner.

I am amused at the irony of your twitter remarks given your affinity with the smiley face.

I'm sorry if my writing style offended your sensibilities. I don't however believe for a moment that you were somehow confused into not understanding the content of what I said. If you want to read something opaque then try Niklas Luhmann.

I'll tell you what, I won't impose a writing style on you, and you give me the same freedom, deal?

Now, back to the main topic! :) :) :) :) :)

I'm sorry if my writing style offended your sensibilities. I don't however believe for a moment that you were somehow confused into not understanding the content of what I said. If you want to read something opaque then try Niklas Luhmann.

I'll tell you what, I won't impose a writing style on you, and you give me the same freedom, deal?

Now, back to the main topic! :) :) :) :) :)

My spin cycle?

I wasn't offended. When I'm offended i use these :mad: :mad: ...

Back