Is It Just Me? Voluntary Deportation

Maybe what's rankling some of the respondents is that it doesn't seem that the OP has really tried much in the way of getting out of here on their own accord. I mean, maybe there aren't jobs for people with passports from 2 important countries and a doctarate, but I know that 3 of the cafes we frequent have signs that they are looking for bacheros, a lot of the shops are looking for attendants etc. ie there are jobs out there. Also if the way the OP introduces themselves to locals is by calling attention to their two important passports and their doctorate's degree, I can see why they're not making many friends -- it can come off sounding rather pretentious.

I've got "a Master's degree from a top 20 school" and a passport from 1 "important" country -- but when I wanted to leave England 10 years ago I had to get myself out of that situation. I just buckled down and took a live-in job at a pub making 4 pounds an hour and saved up the money for the flight home. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, and that might mean taking a job that you deem yourself to be too good for.

Maybe OP needs to look for a job here, any job. Getting a job would help save the cash for the ticket home, but it might also open up new social avenues and lead to meeting new interesting people and a new perspective on the city. They may be on a tourist visa, but there's always some sort of en negro job out there.

I don't think the US Embassy is going to feel too badly for someone in their 30s with a doctorate that came down because of love and that probably is knowingly breaking the law by overstaying a tourist visa. I think people have very romantic notions as to what their Embassies are willing to do for them. The OP isn't facing violence or persecution of any form, we're not living in a war zone. If it were a matter of documented domestic abuse then yes they help, but providing loans to distressed citizens usually falls to citizens who are in countries where their lives may truly be in peril, where the local govt is collapsing, where there has been a natural disaster etc.

I would think that the OP is really going to have to show that they have exhausted every other choice before they can qualify for a loan from the embassy.

I get that it's difficult here & many, many people wind up going home. Living as an expat anywhere is tough, more so if you don't have a local support network of friends and family. Hell, I moved here by choice, have a job that supports me and I still thought about going home after about 2.5 years here b/c I didn't have the network of friends that I was accustomed to having. It's tough!

I know the economy is rough but I will also posit that it's probably not going to be that much easier wherever the OP winds up going. Lots of people looking for work in the US and Europe as well. So hopefully the OP has a plan and support network in place wherever she winds up.

I don't think the US Embassy is going to encourage the OP to go get a job en negro to pay for her flight back home.

I honestly do think that as someone else mentioned, the US Embassy has this as a ¨worst case scenario¨ benefit to its citizens, most of us I might add, have paid the government heavily in taxes in our lives and its nice to know the govt is actually doing something nice with it.

It's not a hand out, it has to be paid back, just like any other loan would have to be. It is not free money.

I think just like any other government benefit (welfare, unemployment, etc) , it´s definitely not something that should be encouraged, but if it is needed, is there for you.

When I refer to the U.S. State Department taking care of its citizens, I refer to the amazing work done by the U.S. Consular Foreign Service Officers around the world. Just in this year, they secured the release of three U.S. college students in Cairo; they aided in the evacuation of U.S. citizens in Japan following the tsunami; and the evacuation of Amcits in Egypt in January/February. In my humble opinion, these examples -- and even providing loans to distressed citizens who may have made poor choices -- don't justify the U.S. being called a "nanny-state." Rather, I'd call them characteristics of a modern civilization.[/quote]

These are marvellous acts.. but dont try and twist the argument into me criticizing embassy or consulate work. Of course Ive made mistakes and still do but the difference is I take full responsibility for my life and would sing in the street to earn money, rather than presume the govt or any state institution must automatically help me because I made poor choices. It all boils down to attitudes in life. Those that see themselves as driving their destiny and those feel victimized. The OP seems likle a genuinely nice person but as other posters have said her post doesnt exactly scream likes shes exhausted every option. Having tried to work her way out of I would have more sympathy.

steveinbsas said:
Could this mean bookings are seriously DOWN?

Flights are full! They are just trying to squeeze people into those last remaining seats. That's were they make the profits, over X% load.

fifs2 said:
These are marvellous acts.. but dont try and twist the argument into me criticizing embassy or consulate work. Of course Ive made mistakes and still do but the difference is I take full responsibility for my life and would sing in the street to earn money, rather than presume the govt or any state institution must automatically help me because I made poor choices. It all boils down to attitudes in life. Those that see themselves as driving their destiny and those feel victimized. The OP seems likle a genuinely nice person but as other posters have said her post doesnt exactly scream likes shes exhausted every option. Having tried to work her way out of I would have more sympathy.

Well, I do see what you are saying & I agree, I take full responsibility of my mistakes and never ever go anywhere without having a way out.

But in this case its a loan & not a hand out. So, the OP should go find out if they will give her one & then get the heck out of dodge. She's just digging herself deeper & deeper if she has no saving anywhere and no emergency credit cards.

I'd rather she do that then start asking us to give her money, like Steve suggested. :D

Yes. Basically I think the OP is just being lazy. Being in your 30's with a Doctorate degree and two 1st world nationalities means you shouldn't be asking for government hand outs at this point in your life.

syngirl said:
Maybe what's rankling some of the respondents is that it doesn't seem that the OP has really tried much in the way of getting out of here on their own accord. I mean, maybe there aren't jobs for people with passports from 2 important countries and a doctarate, but I know that 3 of the cafes we frequent have signs that they are looking for bacheros, a lot of the shops are looking for attendants etc. ie there are jobs out there. Also if the way the OP introduces themselves to locals is by calling attention to their two important passports and their doctorate's degree, I can see why they're not making many friends -- it can come off sounding rather pretentious.

I've got "a Master's degree from a top 20 school" and a passport from 1 "important" country -- but when I wanted to leave England 10 years ago I had to get myself out of that situation. I just buckled down and took a live-in job at a pub making 4 pounds an hour and saved up the money for the flight home. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, and that might mean taking a job that you deem yourself to be too good for.

Maybe OP needs to look for a job here, any job. Getting a job would help save the cash for the ticket home, but it might also open up new social avenues and lead to meeting new interesting people and a new perspective on the city. They may be on a tourist visa, but there's always some sort of en negro job out there.

I don't think the US Embassy is going to feel too badly for someone in their 30s with a doctorate that came down because of love and that probably is knowingly breaking the law by overstaying a tourist visa. I think people have very romantic notions as to what their Embassies are willing to do for them. The OP isn't facing violence or persecution of any form, we're not living in a war zone. If it were a matter of documented domestic abuse then yes they help, but providing loans to distressed citizens usually falls to citizens who are in countries where their lives may truly be in peril, where the local govt is collapsing, where there has been a natural disaster etc.

I would think that the OP is really going to have to show that they have exhausted every other choice before they can qualify for a loan from the embassy.

The OP had problems with one client. I don't understand why doesn't she work more until she saves to go back home. Perhaps the people who's she gonna live with in the States (family?) can help with airfare? I really don't see the embassy giving a loan to a citizen because she doesn't like it here. It's not extreme conditions.

steveinbsas said:
Please post any links you know of that offer one way tickets to the US for $400 USD.

There are probably a few expats who have a desire to leave and would be happy to get out that cheap!;)

Maybe you can't fly from Ezeiza to the US for $400, but you can fly one-way from Bogota to Florida on Jetblue for less than $200. A few months of en negro work (teaching English during the day, maybe bartending or nannying at night) should be enough to pay for bus travel to Colombia plus a $200 air ticket.

starlucia said:
Maybe you can't fly from Ezeiza to the US for $400, but you can fly one-way from Bogota to Florida on Jetblue for less than $200. A few months of en negro work (teaching English during the day, maybe bartending or nannying at night) should be enough to pay for bus travel to Colombia plus a $200 air ticket.

bus to colombia? you must be kidding. 3000 miles!

Back