Is It Just Me? Voluntary Deportation

I could console you into giving it another chance. I came down and stayed for love, even though I hated BA. My plan was to get married and get out as soon as possible.

Well, we are still here...and I am happy now.

That doesn't necesarily mean that you will be happy here after waiting it out, but there is hope...I guess you have to figure out what you are willing to sacrifice for your relationship. The answer is different for every person.

It can be rough here, even with a support system, especially dealing with uncertain economic and political futures, however it can be done as many on the forum are proof. That being said, it's also good to have people in a similar situation, ie not locals, to talk to. If you want to share more of your story over a bottle of wine let me know. Can't promise the wine will fix it, but it can't hurt! ;)

Ib2marie said:
Blackhand, maybe you have lived in a bubble, but we are living in tough economic times globally where even people who were once CEOs of companies are jobless, let alone someone in their late 30s with a doctorate.

I was never one to have credit cards, as when I lived abroad I always had a good income and was a cash buyer, and now I cannot get one because I do not live in either the US or Europe nor have income in either of these 2 places where I would be eligible for one.

It is not always as easy as people think it is.

Also-FYI regarding your $400 fare notion, all airlines charge the FULL fare on one-way tickets, so often times it is cheaper to buy round trips even if you dont plan to use the return leg. And the only fares for $400 I have seen are to Lima or Bogota.

Also FYI, part of the reason I posted this was not so much as to get help on how to leave (which is appreciated) but I kind of expected people to paint another picture for me of BA with hopes of perhaps seeing it in another light, however I am assuming that many expats may be able to relate to my situation which is why they are quick to offer help on how I can get out rather than console me into giving it another chance (which again, much appreciated)

Me too. I'm calling bullshit on the OP's thread. No way in hell any American / European with a Doctorate doesn't have access to $ 400 usd for a one way ticket back to the US. Seriously ?

I'm not sure if there's any other country that takes care of its citizens abroad like the United States.

Isnt there a fine line between nanny state and taking care of...it seems odd that embassies would see their job as financing someone who would chose of their own volition to travel to a country, find it not to their taste and seek their embassy to bail them out without seriously exhausting all options. These are the 2000s people, not 1940s.
As some wise poster said once you make that decision and step on that plane, you need to keep the return fare in your pocket at all times. How about geting another job in negro that pays and save for an airfare. Have you tried call centre work which will earn you cash fast?

Honestly sorry to sound harsh but having travel in my blood and a family that could not support me financially (but would have in a situation like yours) budgetting 101 was a duty from age 15 and I cannot understand why you think embassies assist to help in situations like this..if they do they should do an IQ test on anyone applying for a passport!

LAN just emailed me about a week ago because they are having a sale. Depending on what city you are going to I saw flights from $ 400 usd to $ 600 usd one way.

Expedia also sent me an email regarding a sale on airline tickets. I didn't read it though so I don't know what prices they were quoting but i'm sure it's something similar. .

steveinbsas said:
No wonder they're in bankruptcy.:D

I wonder how much a LAN pilot makes compared to an AA pilot.

Or how their pension plans compare (if at all).

In spite of serious concessions made by AA piolts (and other employees) in recent years, AA cannot compete with other US carriers who already have ben through bankruptcy and shed their previous obligations or foreign carriers who didn't have the burden of similar costs in the first place.

I just checked on LAN. They are having what they call the " BIG DEAL OF THE YEAR ". Round trip from Miami to Buenos Aires is $ 699 usd.

I don't think so. It was a two week only sale. It ends December 11th. And I just double checked and YES one way flights can be had from Buenos Aires to Miami with a lay over in Santiago for $ 399.50.

fifs2 said:
I'm not sure if there's any other country that takes care of its citizens abroad like the United States.

Isnt there a fine line between nanny state and taking care of...it seems odd that embassies would see their job as financing someone who would chose of their own volition to travel to a country, find it not to their taste and seek their embassy to bail them out without seriously exhausting all options. These are the 2000s people, not 1940s.
As some wise poster said once you make that decision and step on that plane, you need to keep the return fare in your pocket at all times. How about geting another job in negro that pays and save for an airfare. Have you tried call centre work which will earn you cash fast?

Honestly sorry to sound harsh but having travel in my blood and a family that could not support me financially (but would have in a situation like yours) budgetting 101 was a duty from age 15 and I cannot understand why you think embassies assist to help in situations like this..if they do they should do an IQ test on anyone applying for a passport!

Not everyone who ends up in trouble abroad does so because of ill-planning. And heck, even if they do plan things badly, do poor decisions really justify throwing someone under the bus? Do you mean to tell me that you've never made bad decisions? I sure have. Had it not been for my support system, I'm not sure I would have been able to come out of them.

The U.S. State Department only provides these loans in extreme situations, and all other outlets have to be exhausted. They are not just handing out these loans like free candy. Furthermore, they have to be paid. They could garnish wages, revoke passports, prevent you from getting a new one, etc., etc. I don't think this is any kind of loan that I would want, especially in tough times.

When I refer to the U.S. State Department taking care of its citizens, I refer to the amazing work done by the U.S. Consular Foreign Service Officers around the world. Just in this year, they secured the release of three U.S. college students in Cairo; they aided in the evacuation of U.S. citizens in Japan following the tsunami; and the evacuation of Amcits in Egypt in January/February. In my humble opinion, these examples -- and even providing loans to distressed citizens who may have made poor choices -- don't justify the U.S. being called a "nanny-state." Rather, I'd call them characteristics of a modern civilization.

Back