Is It Just Me? Voluntary Deportation

Yes, the OP could save up, however we all know that with the cost of living in BA lately, it is hard for any of us to save, even if we are just paying for the basics.

If the OP is in a temporary rental apartment, she is probably paying her rent in US dollars (which continue to climb), if she is earning in pesos, even working full time plus, she is probably having trouble getting by as it is.

Obviously while she saves up, she would still be needing to spend money on her rent and food.

Provided she has a specific plan on what she wants to do and realizes that things in the US right now are not exactly peachy keen, I would seek Embassy assistance. I don't see it as a hand-out, I see it more as an emergency cash advance from the government.

dani28 said:
Yes, the OP could save up, however we all know that with the cost of living in BA lately, it is hard for any of us to save, even if we are just paying for the basics.

If the OP is in a temporary rental apartment, she is probably paying her rent in US dollars (which continue to climb), if she is earning in pesos, even working full time plus, she is probably having trouble getting by as it is.

Obviously while she saves up, she would still be needing to spend money on her rent and food.

Provided she has a specific plan on what she wants to do and realizes that things in the US right now are not exactly peachy keen, I would seek Embassy assistance. I don't see it as a hand-out, I see it more as an emergency cash advance from the government.

Has anyone actually looked at that loan application? It must be repaid within 90 days (or it goes into default.) And as bradlyhale mentioned, the penalties for defaulting on a federal loan include ruined credit, wage garnishment, seizure of passport, bank accounts, tax returns, social security funds, and any other assets. So while I think it's a great resource for otherwise-solvent Americans stranded abroad (who can just write a check or access a credit line as soon as they return home), I'm not sure I'd want to take on that kind of debt if I were the OP (who doesn't seem to have any sort of resources or stable job waiting for her back home.) No, saving up in BA is not easy, but with a lot of work and a few sacrifices (humble room share, lots of pasta dinners, no going out to eat), it is doable... and at least then she'd be free from the stress of being unemployed while in debt to Uncle Sam.

Look, you're knee deep in poo. But, your two important nations passports and a PHD don't give you entitlement. Why should they? UK Embassy couldn't care less about expats. The US Embassy options are not green either, but doable. Some European embassies might give you a hand as a citizen living abroad. Italian, German and Swedish are cool about that

Saving up here is not easy, but not impossible either. You were screwed by one client and are screaming ''the world is falling down''. I've lost most of my wealth playing business here. So what? I'm bouncing back

There are options. What are your skills? I don't care about a doctorate. Neither any employer does. But, it could be a nice thing no doubt. What about doing some work remotely for clients / employers in the States or Britain?

Ever thought of getting a teaching post? Universities here are keen to hire foreign lecturers. Also, if you get a teaching post in Asia or Middle East, your relocation expenses are covered. Work in international and development organizations could be also good

As someone educated, young, 1st world passports holder, and a person fully capable of doing some work, looking for government handouts is a bit weird

The only reason you wanna go is because you don't like it here, one client screwed you over money and your ex dumped you. Sorry, it's poxy

Btw, many countries help their citizens overseas. I know about Israel (they will send their guys to help you even if it is not legal); and Argentina also will help you with repatriation, one second-degree family member did it in the 1980s.

steveinbsas said:
Unfortunately for you, migraciones is very tolerant of those who overstay thier visas.

Perhaps you could create a paypal account and ask for donations from sympathetic expats.

I think there are many of us who would be willing help you.

(This doesn't sound like a scam to me, but I would seriously question a copycat in the future.)

I hope you will answer any challenging questions before anyone actualy makes a donation.

If you're really pretty, nice, and enjoy cooking and yard work you could also visit me for a while before you flee.:p
Nice one steve!

marksoc said:
Btw, many countries help their citizens overseas. I know about Israel (they will send their guys to help you even if it is not legal); and Argentina also will help you with repatriation, one second-degree family member did it in the 1980s.

The only difficulty I can see with this is the dual citizenship angle where each nation says that it is the other nation's problem.

elhombresinnombre said:
The only difficulty I can see with this is the dual citizenship angle where each nation says that it is the other nation's problem.

I remember reading somewhere that it's the country who's passport you entered the country with is the one that trumps.

mini said:
I remember reading somewhere that it's the country who's passport you entered the country with is the one that trumps.

Governments and governmental bodies alike tend to wash their hands off anything they can

elclandestino said:
Governments and governmental bodies alike tend to wash their hands off anything they can

In a real crisis, governments and governmental bodies will come and pick you up on war ships. I've had friends evacuated from war zones. Try go get your country to bail you out cuz you "don't like it" and can't get family & friends to pitch is maybe not the same thing.

elclandestino said:
There are options. What are your skills? I don't care about a doctorate. Neither any employer does. But, it could be a nice thing no doubt.

LOL...are you serious? No employer cares about a doctorate? I can't believe I'm reading this. That is unless you're talking about fly by night, mindless jobs like a call center. Is this so? Then you are spot on my friend...doesn't take a lot of intelligence to perform that job.

Back