Is it "normal" for landlords to have tenants pay city and province property taxes?

studiodio

Registered
I looked up the argentina codigo civil y comercial, chapter IV dealing with landlord and tenents....article 1209 stated that expenses that "encumbered" the property were the landlord's responsibility...dont know if property tax is an encumberence...also, we are leaving this property when the current contract is up, and the landlord wants us to pay 110,000 pesos for painting inside and out the house. according to article 1210, we are not responsible for normal wear and tear due to several years of living here....correct?

I sure hope so. Landlords are a separate breed of person, however, and there's no telling what they may feel the tenant is responsible for. Let us know what occurs down the line. Thanks.

I looked up the argentina codigo civil y comercial, chapter IV dealing with landlord and tenents....article 1209 stated that expenses that "encumbered" the property were the landlord's responsibility...dont know if property tax is an encumberence...also, we are leaving this property when the current contract is up, and the landlord wants us to pay 110,000 pesos for painting inside and out the house. according to article 1210, we are not responsible for normal wear and tear due to several years of living here....correct?
I suppose you have given them a bond, otherwise just! 110,000 (US$2,475) seems a ridiculous amount to pay. Is it a large apartment or are they using gold paint. Walk away, or run if you have to.

In my experience paying ABL is the responsibility of the tenant and typically stated so in the rental contract.

As for repairs/fixes...this is very circumstantial. As you noted, normal wear and tear is indeed mentioned in most long term contracts as the owner's responsibility. It is a debatable point where in personal experience I have lost deposits, simply fixed something myself to recuperate said deposit/avoid the hassle or it was overlooked and fixed by the owner. It could go either way and boils down to the owner, your relationship with the owner and what has objectively occurred.

Seeing as the owners have already sent you an estimate (That strikes me as a fairly aggressive move) I would just count on losing your deposit which is likely what they are after or prepare to paint yourself. That is unless you have legitimately destroyed the paint or done something that is perceived as culpable or negligent then they could go after your guarantia if you have one and the expense of the repair outweighs your deposit. Again, you would have to be legitimately culpable for said damages to go that far and beyond your deposit.

If you feel as though you are being wronged and are willing to put up a fight (will involve time/patience/resolve/thick skin) perhaps the resident lawyer, "Bajo_Cero" can chime in here. AFIP (the IRS of Argentina) is always an interesting threat seeing as many do not pay taxes properly on their rental properties. A letter from a lawyer is never a bad start. I am sure there is a general agency that defends renters here, but I would guess so.

Indoor painting is a debatable and could be argued either way, but I've never heard of outdoor painting being required on the renter's behalf. If you have done nothing to cause said naturally occurring wear and tear, that is a point I would certainly argue and refuse.

Rented for 15 years in different Buildings , all temporary rentals . Always the ABL Tax was the responsibility of the Landlord as well as all other taxes. As in the case of at least 100 units in the building.

Rented for 15 years in different Buildings , all temporary rentals . Always the ABL Tax was the responsibility of the Landlord as well as all other taxes. As in the case of at least 100 units in the building.
Long term rental and commercial ones, tenants always pay ABL.

Back