Is Latness Acceptable? Professional Courtesy !

RyanHairStylist

Registered
Ok.

So I thought I would post something about Timing here in Buenos Aires.
And would love to know what others think here or how other professionals on this site feel about this topic. Becasue it does affect our job's.

A lot of us Expats who live here have noticed how many places here; the timing isn't important. So being late is ok.

And it's common to think that all services and business here, are use to things being late, and that is to be expected and accepted.

Well In fact its not.

:rolleyes:There are many Argentinian's who in fact, are on time.

And some of them happen to be my very good clients. Who at first came late, only did it once, and then knew that because of the schedule that I work with in. And the amount of clients I can attend to in a day.
So being late is acceptable up to 15 min. After that we need to reschedule.

Or when late , I have to start to drop other parts of your service to re-accommodate our new time schedule. And now you have put me one hour behind for every other client that day. And I look unprofessional. Don't act surprised when someone can not complete a service due to lateness. It's common sense.

Its nothing personal, but a professional courtesy.

If anywhere else in the world, you were late and did not call until 20 min through your appointment and then came at the end 5 min before another client, your service would be canceled and you credit card would be charged accordingly. And you would either pay 50% or 100% of that service.

And when asked to be on time( my clients know I can be aggressive in my opinions); are belligerent and rude and blame it on Argentina.
don't get mad at the professional.
Say ok, is there a better time I can come in?

Giving the excuse that this is Argentina, and that is the way it is here in front of an Argentine who was 5 min early for her appointment might make you look bad.

And my other clients time is just as valuable as yours.

And it's stereotyping. Bad form.
Now before people go flying off the handle about well this..... and well that.

My clients who have 4 kids and live over 2 hours out side of the city still make it on time.

I would hope that someone when getting something accomplished here would give them-self extra time to make sure they get to the destination on time.

Yes life has its circumstances, but being late is not cool;
it makes everyone else wait. And if you want to sit after and apologize to everyone else that comes after you. Feel free.

And its something I don't have to pay for. And either should the other people who come in.

So please do your Professional Service providers a favor.
Respect their Job, time and their other clients.
You expect the same in your life and job.

Ryan
( The infamous, apparently over priced stylist; to some)

Should be interesting the responses.

Way down here in the south of Prov. Bs As. (Punta Alta/Bahia Blanca) people are almost always on time.

If not, they are early!

People live by a "code" here and they are proud of it.

(Just like me.);)

Funny that you should bring this topic up, Ryan. Today, I went to a hair salon on time for my appointment. And they asked me if I could wait another 20 minutes. It gave me time to reconsider my hair cut (my regular hairstylist had left the salon and I was assigned someone new) and I left. Maybe the client before came late and it cost the new stylist a hair cut and a new client. But I've had this problem where the client before me is late and I've had to wait for them to complete their routine. I believe they were all Argentines, though.

It's harder to apply this policy to social situations. One thing I have learned is NEVER meet someone where you have to STAND! NEVER. Don't meet someone in front of a mall or on a street corner. Meet in a cafe. Take something to read and be prepared to wait. To me it is inconsiderate but the culture is like that and people don't want to change. I generally tell people that I won't wait beyond a certain amount of time. After awhile I get angry and the meeting would be ruined anyway because I'd be so irritated at their rudeness in arriving very late.

I´ve been on time to early morning doctor´s appointments (not easy with 3 kids and a hectic schedule) and had the doctor turn up half an hour late! I switched doctors.

AngelinBA said:
I´ve been on time to early morning doctor´s appointments (not easy with 3 kids and a hectic schedule) and had the doctor turn up half an hour late! I switched doctors.

I'm inclined to forgive doctors for turning up late - especially if their work involves any kind of out of hours or emergency care. I would hope that if I were involved in some life-or-death situation that my doctor wasn't going to leave me bleeding on a trolley just because he had an 8am consultation scheduled.

I detest cellphones for manifold reasons, most of which have nothing to do with my bad eyesight and their tiny fonts but for the way they alter social relationships, in my view for the poorer. Parent in the park yabbering into a cellphone all afternoon instead of investing personal energy into their child; shopworker treated as dirt because their customer is focussed on someone somewhere else. I could go on - and probably would do if you don't shut me up.

But...
I thought this didn't happen any more?
sergio said:
It's harder to apply this policy to social situations. One thing I have learned is NEVER meet someone where you have to STAND! NEVER. Don't meet someone in front of a mall or on a street corner. Meet in a cafe. Take something to read and be prepared to wait. To me it is inconsiderate but the culture is like that and people don't want to change. I generally tell people that I won't wait beyond a certain amount of time. After awhile I get angry and the meeting would be ruined anyway because I'd be so irritated at their rudeness in arriving very late.
...because one of the other things I hate about cellphones is that because of them other people no longer seem to make formal social arrangements and just home in on each other with the place and the time meandering here and there through an ad hoc series of calls and texts.

I have suffered this all my life. As an Argentine i have waited for people, stylists, clients, bosses, family, services up to 2 hours!!! ( wtf ) I still cannot help but always being on time, but I know it is not the rule here. There is little you can do to change it to be honest. Sometimes you will find punctual Argentine but that is not the norm. To the OP, unless all of your clients are punctual expats, be prepared to lose business, punctuality just will not happen ( sigh )

Back