Is Mayor Macri Improving The Lives Of Porteños?

Is Mayor Macri Improving The Lives Of Porteños?

• Yes

Votes: 43 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 25 36.8%

• Total voters
I am not sure so this is a genuine question...since the national govt dumped the subte into his hands has this not affected the cities funds?

Ps...No sign of those containers in my area just yet!

Ps...a fair comparison might be with buenos aires province, also out of funds to pay teachers. Not an isolated problem! ...surely a national issue with roots in inflation?

Ps...a fair comparison might be with buenos aires province, also out of funds to pay teachers. Not an isolated problem! ...surely a national issue with roots in inflation?

Yes and as for the city's public hospitals, only 20% of portenos use them and of the people who use their services, 45 percent live in grand buenos aires.

So basically the city government is funding (underfunding) a free service to a large amount of people who don't pay taxes in the jurisdiction and is generally unused by the city's residents.

I don't live in Capital, but I'm not overly impressed with it... :p It's definitely nicer than out in provincia, but crime is still a problem... as is traffic, corruption, and lack of efficiency. Last time I went to Florida and Lavalle it was a dump! Maybe I caught it on a bad day, but it was worse than it was in 2004.

Being an Argentine politician, you can bet Macri is crooked.... that said, he's better than Scioli. :p Provincia (at least where I live) is in sad sad shape.

Phil you're right, I've never heard of CABA going bankrupt, but what Macri has done is take out massive loans to fund his overspending in spite of having the biggest tax revenue in history.

This is pretty much a preview of what we would see in a Macri presidency: A return to the good ol' days of the 90s, getting the country in massively in debt and as a result self destructing the country's demand based economy and social services.

And furthermore, let me see if I understand your point about the hospitals: there is more demand from people who don't pay CABA taxes, so therefore the answer is to just cut off services to everybody and spend the money on bike lanes in Recoleta? Or maybe I misunderstood you...

And furthermore, let me see if I understand your point about the hospitals: there is more demand from people who don't pay CABA taxes, so therefore the answer is to just cut off services to everybody and spend the money on bike lanes in Recoleta? Or maybe I misunderstood you...

I didn't make any points nor suggestions, although if I were to make one it would be. If CABA hospitals are half used by residents of BAProvincia, then they should be half funded by each. Also the bike lanes are hardly concentrated in recoleta.

Well, my daughter was born on dezember 26 and still the citihall doesn t know that she exist because the website schedule an appointment for tomorrow, february 21th. However, the deadline that the law gives me to make her birth certificate is expired. If you call to the number they provide, nobody answers. If you try to chat with them through the website they developed, nobody replies you. That´s the way he works, just marketing, he pretends to works well but its just make up. I received a mail all in yellow with the ugly face of Larreta remembering the day I have to go there but without the time. Great job!

I also have a client who is a translator for the city justice. When the judges decides the fee that the translator has to be paid, the lawyers of the city appeals illegally just to avoid to pay. It makes no sense to go to Supreme Court for fees of 1000 or 1500 pesos. So, that s a fraud and that s the way he works.

I don t know if the metrobus in 9 de julio is a good idea, but I know that it was a surprise for everybody. What kind of democratic government works like that? Did the city Congress approved this big change to the 9 de Julio? No, they approved the one in Juan B Justo.

http://www.derf.com....?cod_des=537867

The fact is that they were able to use the side street of 9 the Julio without expending money, cutting trees or changing the face of the city but he wants to do marketing with it painting everything in yellow.

But he printed a bond, it means that he took a loan.

If he doesn t pay the bills, he takes loans, he rise the ticekt of subway and taxes and he said he has not enough money...where is the money? In this country the answer is simple...

Phil you're right, I've never heard of CABA going bankrupt, but what Macri has done is take out massive loans to fund his overspending in spite of having the biggest tax revenue in history.

This is pretty much a preview of what we would see in a Macri presidency: A return to the good ol' days of the 90s, getting the country in massively in debt and as a result self destructing the country's demand based economy and social services.

Compared with CFK, Macri is a penny-pincher. Personally, I think he's a mixed bag, but I am skeptical of all Argentine politicians. Spending only part of the year in BA, with all my income overseas, I am less directly affected than those of you who are full-time residents, though I do own property in Palermo. Fortunately, we bought in 2002.

The fact is that they were able to use the side street of 9 the Julio without expending money, cutting trees or changing the face of the city but he wants to do marketing with it painting everything in yellow.

What???? how would that have worked? Turning directly from the main traffic lanes?

Compared with CFK, Macri is a penny-pincher. Personally, I think he's a mixed bag, but I am skeptical of all Argentine politicians. Spending only part of the year in BA, with all my income overseas, I am less directly affected than those of you who are full-time residents, though I do own property in Palermo. Fortunately, we bought in 2002.

I think your own the right track being sceptical of all (Argentine) politicians, though I'd ditch the ethnic qualifier and just go after the lot of them.

This was supposed to be about Macri, though, so I'm not sure where CFK comes in. Fortunately we have all sorts of lousy politicians to choose from besides those two.

That said, while there are plenty of things to criticse the current federal gov't for, being a worse spender than Macri just doesn't hold up with the statistics. They (more by obligation than ideology) have a GDP to debt ratio in the 30's (compared to US which is around 75, Greece was 170 and Japan regularly flirts with 200). And the country still has excellent reserves.

Macri's administration however does have access to credit and it has taken full advantage of that, trebling the modest amount left by Ibarra/Timmerman. He's an old school LatAm politician in the Menem/Goni/Fujimori mould: preaching austerity whilst taking on massive debt. But there are generally enough people ignorant enough in economics and history to echo the austerity drivel until one of them gets elected.

Back