Is return ticket required to enter?

hudbrog

Registered
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and tried searching, but it seems last time something like that was discussed in 2013 or so, things tend to change in a decade, so I'll ask again. We are planning to move to Argentina for a couple years or more on rentista visa. Currently, I'm searching for the plane tickets and the question I have is - do I need to show a proof of return ticket or something like that?

Qatar airlines site says: "Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry.". Buying a full set of return tickets is a considerable expense (like 4k usd at the moment, sure, I'll be able to refund most of it, but still), so I would prefer to avoid if possible. Is this really required? Is there a regulation/law I can refer that says that it's not required? If it is actually required - would a ticket to a neighboring country suffice? Idk, to Uruguay or Chile?

Thanks in advance =)

It can be a problem, from certain embarkation points. Air New Zealand (in the immediate pre-pandemic) and Qantas (back when they flew direct to Buenos Aires some years ago) always insisted on an onwards ticket out of Argentina and would not let non-residents board without purchasing one. I can't speak for other departure points and have no more recent information. But I would not assume that you won't be asked.

(Unless you are incredibly well-organized and already well on the case, I expect you will find once you get here that you will need to go home fairly shortly thereafter to obtain and apostille the complex mountain of documents that you will need to present to apply for the rentista visa.)

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and tried searching, but it seems last time something like that was discussed in 2013 or so, things tend to change in a decade, so I'll ask again. We are planning to move to Argentina for a couple years or more on rentista visa. Currently, I'm searching for the plane tickets and the question I have is - do I need to show a proof of return ticket or something like that?

Qatar airlines site says: "Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry.". Buying a full set of return tickets is a considerable expense (like 4k usd at the moment, sure, I'll be able to refund most of it, but still), so I would prefer to avoid if possible. Is this really required? Is there a regulation/law I can refer that says that it's not required? If it is actually required - would a ticket to a neighboring country suffice? Idk, to Uruguay or Chile?

Thanks in advance =)
I was forced to pay a few hundred at the drop of a hat when O'Hare refused to let me on the plane to Lima. After that I promised to never take chances again. And I'm glad I did. I went to Best Onward Ticket to get a temporary cheap reservation before my flight out of Lima to EZE. They asked, looked, and I'm not sure if they checked in the system or not, but they definitely would not have let me on the plane to my layover in Chile had I not had that (and my insurance, and my declaración jurada).

As for inside Argentina, I got in at around 9pm and the immigration people were chill. They asked to see my passport obvi, Declaración and I believe my insurance, but that was it. The rest was by my word: "Where are you staying? How long? Ok great, welcome." And I don't think it matters where your return ticket says you're going, but I made it my home country just in case. Remember where your ticket says though, so you can corroborate effectively.

I highly recommend the link I shared, I'm not sponsored, they just helped me out with a free extension and saved my ass. It's like $13.

Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance =)
Only once in 10 years have i had an issue. Some peppy checkin agent at MAD, Spain, insisted I had a return flight. I stepped aside and made a reservation on my phone for a random flight out of BUE using miles on AA, I just put it on hold didn't pay anything actually. Showed him the itinerary confirmation and that was enough. Canceled it 10 min later.

You can always book and pay for a "real" flight as long as you do it on a US carrier/origin/destination or US credit card as you can get a free cancelation and refund within 24hs of booking. It's the law.

To sum up -- no it's not required but you may get some overzealous agent that insists it is. IF i were you I wouldn't worry about it -- it's the last thing you should be concerned about.

A friend of mine was denied boarding by Lufthansa on April 28 for the lack of the return ticket. He is a US passport holder, but was flying from India.
Colombia and other South American countries are anal when it comes to return tickets and there is no reasoning with them, had to show the ticket to board. Buquebus ticket to Montevideo is sufficient as well as the ticket to any neighbouring country. I've never heard of anyone being asked for return ticket upon landing in Argentina, nor was I in my more than a dozen trips before I had a residence, but the airlines' agents are overcautious or plain stupid...
If you only plan to stay a couple of years there is no point to bother with the rentista visa, it'll cost you way more than a return ticket in hard currency and you don't even want to know about the waste of time and frustration. Just overstay and pay a few bucks fee upon leaving.

If you are not a resident of Argentina, there is a high chance they'll ask for a return ticket. What I always do: I buy the cheapest ticket I can find the morning of my flight to Argentina, as it takes me 12 hours to get there, I cancel the ticket once I clear customs at the airport in Argentina. I think all airlines fully refound any tickets canceled less than 24 hours after booking.

They always ask me for one. Maybe because I am black and I have a 3rd world passport 😀
I'm with Alby on this one, much better safe than sorry. I've been asked for an onward ticket (by Avianca) to fly here, and I'm so white I'm almost pink. And I have a very first world passport, made no difference.

I was renewing my temporary residency at the time, so I had an expired DNI and a "precaria" visa, none of which interested the airline .My visa facilitator here had insisted that I'd have no problem, just as well I didn't believe him. The problem is the airline, they just look up the Timatic data base and apply the rules. Once you're here you're ok.

Back